General Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What gave him a head start was probably being the ugliest player ever to pull on an RL shirt, up against some stiff competition:D:D As a player he was before my time but I met him once, he served me a pint when I was a student.
How far back are we going Bruce? Can you recall Dick Huddart and Brian Edgar playing for GB or is that before your time?

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
What gave him a head start was probably being the ugliest player ever to pull on an RL shirt, up against some stiff competition:D:D As a player he was before my time but I met him once, he served me a pint when I was a student.
How far back are we going Bruce? Can you recall Dick Huddart and Brian Edgar playing for GB or is that before your time?
Excuse me while I wipe the tears of nostalgia brother. I was a kid then.

They were in the 1962 team that beat the Kangaroos 2 -1 in the series in Australia. Imagine that these days? Australia was a three day sail by steamship back then so I didn't get to go over:(.

However I saw all their games at Carlaw Park, including the game against Auckland. The Kiwi side won the series and Auckland beat them as well.

Carlaw Park was standing room only. The atmosphere was bloody electric. It was like an English ground where you could see and hear everything. Those Chooms were the real deal and for the Kiwi sides to beat them was very special.

That shows how very strong international and Auckland rugby league was back then.

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Excuse me while I wipe the tears of nostalgia brother. I was a kid then.

They were in the 1962 team that beat the Kangaroos 2 -1 in the series in Australia. Imagine that these days? Australia was a three day sail by steamship back then so I didn't get to go over:(.

However I saw all their games at Carlaw Park, including the game against Auckland. The Kiwi side won the series and Auckland beat them as well.

Carlaw Park was standing room only. The atmosphere was bloody electric. It was like an English ground where you could see and hear everything. Those Chooms were the real deal and for the Kiwi sides to beat them was very special.

That shows how very strong international and Auckland rugby league was back then.
Sounds good. I asked because they are probably the two most famous RL players to come out of Cumbria and I grew up on tales of both from older family members. My Dad played county schools RU with Edgar and Dick Huddarts son was the year below me at school.
Mods may need to move this to a nostalgia corner:D

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
RL players to come out of Cumbria
If I can include Tommy Bishop as being from Cumbria. I know he is from St Helens but he did two stints at Barrow. It is also relevant because he was in a flood of Chooms to play in Sydney during the 1970's. That shows how strong the English game was. I don't think the money was any better down under but the weather sure was.

The first time I saw Tommy Bishop play was at Carlaw Park in 1966. it was Great Britain v the Kiwis. I was lucky because my father got us seats right behind the bleachers on the old wooden stand. In those days the coaches and reserves used to have areas on the bleachers cordoned off for them beside the players tunnel. Our seats were right behind where the Chooms were sitting. I need an interpreter to understand the accents but geez it was exciting. The coaches and players were non stop at the referee and touch judges...and they were winning!!

Tommy Bishop wasn't very tall. I think the program said 5'2", and that would have been with his studs on. He had a serious disagreement with one of the Kiwi front row. I remember he leaped off the ground to try and punch him, and he still couldn't reach him! He was a cocky little guy but tough as nails, he had to be.

The Chooms won that series two nil, but as usual they had a much tougher game against Auckland and only won by a point in the last minute.

It is so sad what has happened to the international game.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Not quite from when dinosaurs roamed but some will remember Sam Stewart from the 80's:

Ex-Kiwis league star guilty of assault

A former New Zealand rugby league international has pleaded guilty to assaulting a model-turned-actress he was having an affair with.

Sam Stewart, 54, was sentenced to a two-year good behaviour bond at Southport Magistrates Court on the Gold Coast on Thursday after pleading guilty to the assault charge.

The court heard Stewart and his then-mistress Erin Connor, a model who also appeared in several television shows and movies, had agreed to end their relationship at a meeting in a Broadbeach park in January 2016.

After the meeting Ms Connor ran off with Stewart's phone and some money, resulting in the former Newcastle Knights player chasing her and tackling her.

Ms Connor suffered bruising during the incident.

Stewart, who played 18 times for the Kiwis in the 1980s, admitted the force he'd used to tackle Ms Connor was excessive.

Stewart will be required to pay $2000 if he breaches the bond.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/rugby-league/ex-kiwis-league-star-guilty-of-assault/ar-AApTAdn?li=AAaUOAg&ocid=ientp

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
GB legend Alex Murphy naming his top 13, mostly people he played with for St Helens and GB, including with his trademark modesty himself at 7:D:D

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
GB legend Alex Murphy naming his top 13, mostly people he played with for St Helens and GB, including with his trademark modesty himself at 7:D:D

Brilliant post brother.

He names himself the best half backo_O, but to be fair he was very good indeed.

He was a dirty little shite though. He did a filthy tackle on Ken Stirling during the 1971 test series in England. Ken is a lovely guy and gutsy as, but was never dirty so there was no need for Murphy to do that. He was showing his age by then and the Kiwis, especially Ken Stirling, had the better of the Chooms in that series. So he was just a dirty little shite and a sore loser.

I counted his team and there are only 3 non Englishmen:rolleyes:. One of those, Tom Van Hollenhoven played for St Helens even though he was South African so his selection is seriously one eyed.

Having said that every player he named was genuine world class including your heroes Edgar and Huddart. It shows how strong English rugby league was back then.

A bit of trainspotting. He was a star in schoolboy league so there was a race on to sign him when he turned 16. One of the Yorkshire clubs wanted him so planned to get to his parents house early in the morning of his birthday. St Helens beat them to it by smuggling him away from his home to a safe house and signing him at midnight:D.

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Mention of Tony Kemp and Doncaster in another thread reminded me of this, an outstandingly funny TV documentary on probably the worst team ever to take the field as 'professionals'. Part 1 here and all other parts available on youtube, well worth watching:

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Mention of Tony Kemp and Doncaster in another thread reminded me of this, an outstandingly funny TV documentary on probably the worst team ever to take the field as 'professionals'. Part 1 here and all other parts available on youtube, well worth watching:
Are you trying to tell us the Warriors aren't that bad?:D

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Murphy also conned the referee in a Wembley final, allegedly anyhow

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
THe opinion of a good Salford lad about the five toughest players he has encountered. Number five is well worth a look for Mount Wellington.;)

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
THe opinion of a good Salford lad about the five toughest players he has encountered. Number five is well worth a look for Mount Wellington.;)

I've watched almost all of those '5 toughest' interviews now. At least half of them mention Joe Vagana

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Some of you older posters will remember the very good Otahuhu, Ellerslie and Ponsonby teams of the 70's.
They would have this lot for breakfast

Last edited:
Reaction score

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Some of you older posters will remember the very good Otahuhu, Ellerslie and Ponsonby teams of the 70's.
They would have this lot for breakfast
You can go back to 2ND half of the 60s,Otahuhu,Ellerslie and Ponsonbywere probaby even better,leading
On from the district competition in the early 60s.
I must be getting bloody old,I remember watching Henry Maxwell Joe Ratima and Cliff Johnson playing late 50s.

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You can go back to 2ND half of the 60s,Otahuhu,Ellerslie and Ponsonbywere probaby even better,leading
On from the district competition in the early 60s.
I must be getting bloody old,I remember watching Henry Maxwell Joe Ratima and Cliff Johnson playing late 50s.
My late father was the Chairman of Southern Districts. I have a photo of that team which won the district comp
that year. They beat Parramatta that year as well. Simon Yates was the Capt.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Surely theres a couple of forwards in that lineup that might be swayed to move to the Warriors?

Can someone hook Eloni up with picking garbage around Auckland? Please no jokes about the garbage that is the club in its current state!

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/eloni-vunakece-signs-bizarre-contract-with-a-clause-that-allows-him-to-continue-working-as-a-garbage-collector/slu4n5kuyh4y1r4fsml9m1f9n

Eloni Vunakece signs bizarre new contract with Roosters

However, the cult hero’s new contract is unlike any other in the NRL, with a clause included that allows him to continue working as a garbage collector while still holding a spot in the Roosters’ squad.

In fact, the Roosters’ willingness to allow Vunakece that opportunity to split his time between both professions was a major deal sealer for the 29-year-old.

“The garbage still has to be picked up,” Vunakece told foxsports.com.au.

“I’ll keep chipping away at the two. It’s all I know, I’ve always worked so that’s the plan.

“It’ll be tough through the pre-season but I got through it last year so I’ll survive. (Trent Robinson) knows I don’t shy away from hard work and if I ever miss a session, I’ll make it up later. He’s been really supportive like that.”

Vunakece took the field nine times for the Roosters in his debut season.
Back last century many Auckland players, including Kiwis, worked on the rubbish trucks. They were very fit players as well. It isn't as silly as it sounds, actually I am very impressed. I wonder if any of our rock stars would consider it.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Back last century many Auckland players, including Kiwis, worked on the rubbish trucks. They were very fit players as well. It isn't as silly as it sounds, actually I am very impressed. I wonder if any of our rock stars would consider it.:rolleyes:
What? And risk damaging their X-Box gaming fingers? Not bloody likely!!!!!

Top Bottom