Internationals Rugby League World Cup

Weno

Weno

commentators were speaking of the teams coming together after the games.
Such as the Kiwis going into the French changing rooms and having a few cold beverages afterwards etc.
Good to see that our games elite players respect who they play after 8omins.
Great for the world to see these moments after battling it out.

surfin

surfin

commentators were speaking of the teams coming together after the games.
Such as the Kiwis going into the French changing rooms and having a few cold beverages afterwards etc.
Good to see that our games elite players respect who they play after 8omins.
Great for the world to see these moments after battling it out.

It's a shame this sort of thing has been lost to such a degree. The social side after games was one of the things that made playing such a great time.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Yeah, they stopped after they saw you kept running on to the field, pretending you were a player, and trying to swap one of your old jerseys for another you didn't have in your collection. ;)
Nah I didnt make it far. Too drunk...
3188896 orig

Reactions: drake83 and Weno

FrancisMelee

you have too feel a bit for the Kumuls....not just their general state of affairs, but specifically the fact that they lost Segeyaro to injury before the tournament even started.....with the form he was carrying from the last 2 years he would have made such a positive impact on their whole system, from structure and flair both on attack and defence, through to his effect he would have had on the team environment and morale. From his interviews this year on various League shows you could really tell that he perks up those around him and would be an absolute dag in the changing rooms and on the training field. Such a shame. But that is sport.

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
A shame Segeyaro has now changed his allegiance so he can play for Queensland. This is really a situation where they should let the guy play State of Origin and play for PNG for the good of the game.

Agreed - didn't they make that exception for Adrian Lam?

Side note: Segeyaro is probably behind Smith, Ballin, Friend for Queensland anyway...

FrancisMelee

Agreed - didn't they make that exception for Adrian Lam?

Side note: Segeyaro is probably behind Smith, Ballin, Friend for Queensland anyway...
I would say only behind smith and on par (only for another season) with ballin

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

I read on the BBC website that the organisers of the competition are thrilled with all the sell out crowds - they deliberately picked small venues in league strongholds for most of the games where the big three nations weren't playing - and by the fact that both England games to date have attracted over 2 million viewers on TV.

Reactions: Est95 and Sup42
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Barwick thrilled with World Cup

By Simon Peach
AAP
12:05am Thu 07th November, 2013The Rugby League World Cup has so far surpassed the expectations of Rugby Football League chairman Brian Barwick.

The 14th edition of the tournament is well under way and is proving far more successful than the last time it graced UK shores 13 years ago.

Then, hampered by weather, the competition proved a financial disaster and left the RFL in debt.

There are no such problems this time around, though, with RFL chief Barwick revealing the tournament is set to make a profit.

The former Football Association chief executive has been "thrilled to bits" by the opening two weeks of the competition and is excited by its potential legacy for the sport.

"It has exceeded our expectations in terms of the amount of people going to the games, the level of media interest and the quality of the games as well," Barwick said on Wednesday.

"I mean, there were over 10,000 at Leigh last night for Tonga versus the Cook Islands and we're up to 70,000 tickets for the final.

"We have been astonished. We have had sell-outs at Rochdale, Warrington and Avignon, we've had two sell-outs at Workington. We've had the highest crowds to watch rugby league in Cumbria for 20 years."

Even in Bristol, which is not known as a rugby league hotspot, 8000 supporters had turned out.

"Both the games England played on the BBC peaked at over two million. These are new figures for us," he said.

"I think the trick with rugby league is that it is a world-class sport but has a real family feel to it.

"It has more than exceeded our expectations. We are thrilled with it."

https://www.nrl.com/barwick-thrilled-...3/default.aspx

Reactions: snake77
snake77

snake77

This is good to see and a big improvement from last time that world cup was held in the UK. I can't recall what the crowds were like in 2008 but in this part of the world we lose quite a bit of interest as soon as the NRL finishes.

Hopefully this tournament gives the game a boost in the UK.

Reactions: Defence
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
By the way who nominates the MOM ?

Whoever it is , isn't watching the games with an informed eye , they look like they are just nominating the Try scorers.

Shaun Johnson V Isaac Luke at Avignon was the weirdest.

Reactions: ramraider78

FrancisMelee

Just saw the Kiwis team for the PNG match.......This love affair of Kearneys with Marquee and Bryson Goodwin is starting to worry me a bit. Why not give Inu a crack? or Even nightingale a go at centre? Why not start FPN at lock? I'm scared that he is seriously entertaining the thought of these two being starters at the latter stages of RLWC.....

Reactions: Sup42
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

This is good to see and a big improvement from last time that world cup was held in the UK. I can't recall what the crowds were like in 2008 but in this part of the world we lose quite a bit of interest as soon as the NRL finishes.

Hopefully this tournament gives the game a boost in the UK.

I know that 2 million viewers is way short of what the England football team attracts for World Cup games, but it puts the 700,000 kiwis watching the Bledisloe Cup to shame - much larger population to draw from obviously![DOUBLEPOST=1383808390][/DOUBLEPOST]That wasn't a dig - but it does show how we get all excited down here over stuff which is taken for granted in the UK.

For instance, on the first weekend of the rugby league World Cup there was also a rugby union international, an NFL game at Wembley and ten premier league football games on as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence
ramraider78

ramraider78

By the way who nominates the MOM ?

Whoever it is , isn't watching the games with an informed eye , they look like they are just nominating the Try scorers.

Shaun Johnson V Isaac Luke at Avignon was the weirdest.
Thurston MoM for the fiji vs australia - he played kaka imo made to many basic errors an he gets the nod.

Reactions: Sup42