NRL NRL Round 1, 2024 Discussion

• Photo by Dane Clarke | NRL Digital Creator on March 02, 2024. May be an image of 1 person, playing football, playing soccer, playing cricket, sports equipment, stadium and text that says 'AROUND THE LEAGUE MIA 2025 Las Vegas జపా OAK The Panthers and Warriors are both reportedly favourites to open the season next year in Las Vegas. The other two sides remain unknown. Via: Daily Telegraph PANTHER CLARKEY'S COLUMN'.

The idea has been mooted by some to either have a super league match or the WCC as one of the games next year
I heard someone mention it in here but is it true the super league is now owned by the NRL?

Can be used in a gentle sort of way too, like I call my cat a cheeky monkey, or a spunky monkey. Probably not in this situation though, although seems weird to be a situation where a Pacific Island man is calling an Aboriginal man the term as it’s mostly been a derogatory term used against ones ethnicity which is associated with skin colour?
Good on Ezra Mam for reporting it. You get it on here people think only white people can be racist. Even in day to day life have I've had a lot of my Māori friends make comments about Asian or Indian people. When I point it out to them it is racist they look at me like WTF I can't be racist it can only be when it is said against me. They have openly said that last part around saying it to me.

If you want to get rid of racism, everyone needs to watch what they say.

Not acting dumb. Simply pointing out that there is an easy defence, if there is no audio available.
It could get interesting. It has already created headlines. If they can't hear it on any of the audio, they would need to rely on someone else hearing it. If he gets off it could lead to more bad headlines, or up set Mam again.

But if it can't be proven you can't convict someone.

I heard someone mention it in here but is it true the super league is now owned by the NRL?
I think it has just come up for discussion again. Like it did a few years ago.

I think the NRL thinking has been well things are going well we know what we are doing. We can fix things. Also another investment.

I'd be worried after hearing Matty Johns comment on move it to winter so guys can have guest stints like the old days. The players already play a lot as it is.

The other part is the NRL are already controlling rules etc on everyone else. This would make it even easier.

Can be used in a gentle sort of way too, like I call my cat a cheeky monkey, or a spunky monkey. Probably not in this situation though, although seems weird to be a situation where a Pacific Island man is calling an Aboriginal man the term as it’s mostly been a derogatory term used against ones ethnicity which is associated with skin colour?
Exactly 💯

As a spectacle the two games on show in Vegas had it all and the NRL will be pretty chuffed with themselves.
. Will be interested in what comes next although it will be a slow burn. Listening to David Nui who has worked hard on trying to establish league in the US, this is the perfect window in the year for the game to be played - in between NFL season and before everyone goes on summer holidays which Americans fully embrace. It would also align with NRL and Super League so globally the game is fully active at the same time. Dan Ginsberg also mention during the Souths v Manly about a Super League representation next year.

Only the first round but I’m not sold on the Broncos making the top 4 this year like most “experts” are predicting.
I think last year they rode a wave of off-loads, similar to what the warriors have done in the past. That play isn’t sustainable year on year though.
How we played last year was a solid foundation to be built on.
We have also gained good player and they have lost some. I think/hope we will go better than them this year.

Good on Ezra Mam for reporting it. You get it on here people think only white people can be racist. Even in day to day life have I've had a lot of my Māori friends make comments about Asian or Indian people. When I point it out to them it is racist they look at me like WTF I can't be racist it can only be when it is said against me. They have openly said that last part around saying it to me.

If you want to get rid of racism, everyone needs to watch what they say.

It could get interesting. It has already created headlines. If they can't hear it on any of the audio, they would need to rely on someone else hearing it. If he gets off it could lead to more bad headlines, or up set Mam again.

But if it can't be proven you can't convict someone.
Very true. As for how can Polynesians be racist to each other, I'm sure people know about the history between Samoa and Tonga if you've been around enough Polynesians which I assume most have due to the sport we watch or have played. That has calmed down a lot though with the younger generations.
I'm Indian and I've seen a lot of them be racist towards Maori and Polynesians behind closed doors.
1 more factor is Ezra mam being a decent bit darker then leniu. As weird as that sounds there's colourism amongst minorities.

Very true. As for how can Polynesians be racist to each other, I'm sure people know about the history between Samoa and Tonga if you've been around enough Polynesians which I assume most have due to the sport we watch or have played. That has calmed down a lot though with the younger generations.
I'm Indian and I've seen a lot of them be racist towards Maori and Polynesians behind closed doors.
1 more factor is Ezra mam being a decent bit darker then leniu. As weird as that sounds there's colourism amongst minorities.
There is quite a lot of colourism in different cultures, Indian culture is an example and they also have a caste system based on status and other thiings. Amongst one's own culture we all do it. The yanks have white trash, elites etc and over time the words used that were once an insult or derogatory become part of the vernacular as well.
Honky, hori, blackarse, coconut, nigga etc are used freely amongst friends in nz with humour without a thought to it being derogative to others just by using those terms. Outside of your circles can cause offence. Monkey may well be one of those terms Mam uses freely within his own circle, who knows? To say it to anyone else, an aboriginal, its going to cause offence.

Not acting dumb. Simply pointing out that there is an easy defence, if there is no audio available.
So long as he's not using Reece Walsh's crack hot defence team of David Fifita and Patty Carrigan when he called the ref a ***t last year :D

***ts folded under cross examination like Obi Wan using a jedi mind trick on a couple of storm troopers.

Worlds a different place these days (thankfully) pretty dumb by Leniu really.....then again no one can accuse these cats of being rocket scientists.

Back to the games thought Manly looked most impressive. Not getting fooled by them yet tho, their a team that seemingly has all the raw materials for success but last year had a real soft underbelly about them. Take them to the grind i suspect we'll see that come to the surface again.

So long as he's not using Reece Walsh's crack hot defence team of David Fifita and Patty Carrigan when he called the ref a ***t last year :D

***ts folded under cross examination like Obi Wan using a jedi mind trick on a couple of storm troopers.

Worlds a different place these days (thankfully) pretty dumb by Leniu really.....then again no one can accuse these cats of being rocket scientists.

Back to the games thought Manly looked most impressive. Not getting fooled by them yet tho, their a team that seemingly has all the raw materials for success but last year had a real soft underbelly about them. Take them to the grind i suspect we'll see that come to the surface again.
I think manly as a squad has 20 fantastic players and not much depth after that.
Injuries will dictate how their season goes (again).

Oh, so Montoya's defence should have been he was calling Feldt a Scottish Meatball.

Genius
does Scottish meatball sound anything like fagg?

I'll try and spell it out a little more for you.

Assuming he actually said something, and there is no audio evidence available, he could easily say that he was saying to Ezra Mam, who plays for the broncos, that he was playing more like a donkey (an often used term for the broncos) and Ezra has obviously misheard and gotten offended by it. I apologize for any confusion and will certainly watch what I say in the future that may be misinterpreted.

And they played Souths who had moments in that game but I'm picking them to miss the 8 again this year.

I think Manly can play better and when they click will be a tough team to beat, particularly if Turbo stays fit (should do a Ponga and rule himself out of SOO). Souths look like they still have a carry over of the issues they had last year.

Last edited:
I am glad both Manly and the Roosters went well. I want us to face one of those two teams in this years grand final.

Back