General Rugby converts

Matrix_old

I'm not a huge fan of rugby players converting to league but some of the wingers/centres going round in NZ Rugby have amazing skills & could be stars in league but get overlooked for the AB's what do you guys think of potentially looking at or poaching one of these guys ?

*Kimmy*_old

Matrix said:
I'm not a huge fan of rugby players converting to league but some of the wingers/centres going round in NZ Rugby have amazing skills & could be stars in league but get overlooked for the AB's what do you guys think of potentially looking at or poaching one of these guys ?
Um..if they wanna play Union imo they will. I wouldnt really wanna see the NZRL poaching any players. As we would seem as pathetic as the ARU is.

Northern_Union

Why not, union pinches countless numbers of league players when they get to highschool. Would love to see this going the other way. As for which players to target....wouldn't have a clue as i don't waste my time with kick and clap.

Jesbass_old

Matrix said:

If they want to play league, I have no problem with it.

*Kimmy*_old

Jesbass said:
Matrix said:

If they want to play league, I have no problem with it.
Exactly, if they want to play league im fine with it. But i dont really want to see the NZRL poaching players with money, how the ARU do.

blez_old

If there was ever a guy I'd like to see the Warriors poach, it would be David Smith.

Superstar written all over him.

Skinny_Ravs82

I'm seriously not a fan of players from either code jumping sides. It's like both sides lack something in their own backyard so they have to go looking in another sport for it. You'd only have to look at the way the Wallaibies have been playing to notice. They are a good side on their day, but much of their point scoring in test matches always came from at least one if not two of the league converts over the years. What does that tell ya?

Jesbass_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
I'm seriously not a fan of players from either code jumping sides. It's like both sides lack something in their own backyard so they have to go looking in another sport for it. You'd only have to look at the way the Wallaibies have been playing to notice. They are a good side on their day, but much of their point scoring in test matches always came from at least one if not two of the league converts over the years. What does that tell ya?

That league players can score tries in union?

What's wrong with players switching codes if it benefits the club/nation/code?

KeepingTheFaith_old

Didn't Mannering make a late switch to League after playing mainly union growing up? Nonu, Weepu, Howlett, Flavell, S Lauaki all have some sort of background in league just to name a few.

warriorfaithful*_old

blez said:
If there was ever a guy I'd like to see the Warriors poach, it would be David Smith.

OMG YEAH!!! That guy is one hell of a player, a superstar in the making for sure.(and for those of you who dont know who he is, he plays wing for the auckland NPC team)

Kiwi League_old

NZ Rugby will throw some big money at Smith soon, and I'd say he'd be a bolter for the All Black tour at the end of the year.
Look how they've brought Isaia Toeava on.

sliphgrrl_old

I don't really like it when League players switch to union, but the fact of the matter is, they can earn far more money playing rugby. Money is always going to be a big factor in your decision making when you got maybe 10 or 15 years (if you're lucky and relatively injury free) to really benefit from your talent.

So, while I don't like losing players to rugby, I can certainly understand why it happens. If any of us were in the same position, and had to make decisions based on what was best for our family, I guess most of us would probably do the same.

Esoj_old

Kiwi League said:
NZ Rugby will throw some big money at Smith soon, and I'd say he'd be a bolter for the All Black tour at the end of the year.
Look how they've brought Isaia Toeava on.

toeava has been crap and was a big gamble. If gear rokcoko sivivatu and howlett are all fit there is no way any other wingers will get picked imo.

I see nothing wrong with players crossing codes. it is ultimately their choice and if they go well then so be it.

I doubt the nzrl could actually get anyone through money anyway because the nzrl barely makes enough to survive year to year. the only way to do it really would be proabbly get the warriors to buy someone.

and to skinny who cares if a lot of the wallaibies points came from league converts. that shows that they were getting selected regualry getting the ball a lot and in rogers case was the goal kicker sometimes. the aru would have been stupid not to pick them as they paid through the nose to get them so they would be very happy to be getting something back for it.

playdaball_old

[quote)
toeava has been crap and was a big gamble.

Interestingly Toeava was a 'convert' from RL having palyed at the Papatoetoe Panthers.

Matrix_old

There is such a large number of "potential" players in rugby & the warriors should be scouting them
At the mo they are probably missing out Why not turn the tables & pinch some Rugby players when they are in highschool or when they get overlooked for AB's selection I think there is an untapped source there!!! Hart should know a thing or two

westie stylz_old

blez said:

I'd go straight to him right this second with $200,000 for a two year deal.

He is going to be brilliant.

I think the Warriors should keep more of an eye on Auckland club rugby because they could probably nick a few really talented up and comers by offering them bucks before the ARU does.

There are a few others who have superstar potential that they could entice over on 20,000 dollar deals for a season as it's 20,000 more than they would be getting.

Nonu Sua-Ausage the halfback for the Waitemata rugby team is bloody dynamite and only about 17 or 18 years old.

Mana Ashford who had a good year for the Leopards was in his debut season in league straight out of Auckland club rugby where he was good but not a rep prospect at all.

There are plenty of these guys that could be poached cheaply and who could do the damage. Remember, some of you might not rate rugby but it has about 8 times the playing numbers so it is going to have way more of the talent going to waste.

Matrix_old

I totally agree Blez awesome post !!! I could be wrong but i think David Smith (winger for AKL) was only playing club rugby in AKL until Pat Lamb discovered him

warriorfaithful*_old

Matrix said:
I totally agree Blez awesome post !!! I could be wrong but i think David Smith (winger for AKL) was only playing club rugby in AKL until Pat Lamb discovered him
Yeah thats he correct. And i dunno but i think he is either still at high-school or just recently left(last year or so)

2big2strong_old

any more info on this David Smith chap? im in oz and only get to see NPC at the pub every now and then

westie stylz_old

I've heard Bryan Williams went to Samoa looking for talent for the Samoan national team and found this kid over there carving up.

He brought him back to NZ where he went to Sacred Heart? and he then started playing for Ponsonby seniors where he cut Waitemata to bits in the Auckland club final.

I was at the game and the second I saw him, "I thought.... we are f*&ked" (as a Waitemata supporter). And sure enough he scored a couple of tries and set one up that normal wingers just don't get.