Recruitment RTS new Warriors Captain and Tohu Harris signs on from 2018 onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
If this was a mature, stable club, then I'd see no problems with giving the young guy added responsibility with the captaincy. Just not sure how he will deal with the burden should the season go pear shaped, again.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Mean as! Well I suppose for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck that will suppress the allure of switching codes, bonus. Also shows how this squad is going to transition from its older members to younger.
Harris for Hoff is one hell of an upgrade, especially when considering Mannering's career time-frame is winding down too.
Looking forward to seeing how and who replace Vatuvei and Lillyman over the following 12 months..

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Now please sign Dean Share next.

Good player dean share....

I'm with a few others- some surprising news but I like it.

I'm a fan of Tohu Harris- awesome work rate- does so much clean up work- bit like mannering I suppose but with a bit more footy in him. I wouldn't say he's a ball player as such but he's got a little in him- he's quite skillful and coming into his prime.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is a bit out of left field. I suppose if they were looking past juju and Hoffman Shaun Johnson was the obvious choice but I don't really think he needs the added pressure.
Obviously he has impressed Kearney and he would have a lot of respect from the players so that's half the battle. If it means he's here long term even better.

Jordan G

Arent Tohu Harris and Bodene basically the same player ? Industrious, grunty, flat footed players who works hard but cant find a gap to save their lives ?

Why couldnt we have thrown money at Kevin Proctor instead???

Ahhhh what? You call Harris industrious and then say we should have gone after Proctor instead even though he's even more like you described than Tohu Harris.

Harris - 27 games, , 133m per game, 23 offloads, 10 linebreaks, 825 tackles, 36 missed, 10 errors
Proctor - 24 matches, 96m per game, 17 offloads, 5 linebreaks, 836 tackles, 25 missed, 3 errors
Thompson - 18 games, 87m per game, 16 offloads, 8 linebreaks, 686 tackles, 33 missed, 9 errors

Proctor a little safer in handling and D, Harris a fair bit more go forward and linebreaking ability, Thompson a bit of a mix but a level below both.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Kiwi Coach.
Kiwi Captain
Kiwi Vice Captain
Kiwi Spine
First major signing is a Kiwi

Could very well be the club listening to some of the fans who want this to be a Kiwi orientated club. Or very well trying to integrating the Kiwis success into the Warriors.

eric

1st Grade Fringe
May 27, 2015
GC
Ahhhh what? You call Harris industrious and then say we should have gone after Proctor instead even though he's even more like you described than Tohu Harris.

Harris - 27 games, , 133m per game, 23 offloads, 10 linebreaks, 825 tackles, 36 missed, 10 errors
Proctor - 24 matches, 96m per game, 17 offloads, 5 linebreaks, 836 tackles, 25 missed, 3 errors
Thompson - 18 games, 87m per game, 16 offloads, 8 linebreaks, 686 tackles, 33 missed, 9 errors

Proctor a little safer in handling and D, Harris a fair bit more go forward and linebreaking ability, Thompson a bit of a mix but a level below both.

I think it's the fact that Proctor appears to have more grunt and aggression than Harris. Which, in all honesty, is what we need. How often do people on here go on about the soft forwards? I'm ok with Harris being a straight swap for Hoffman but we are still lacking angry men.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
He does have a few things going for him at 1.95m he'd probably be our biggest forward and has utility value and has been a quality forward for the storm. So was Adam Blair though.

The Roger Tuivasa-Sheck captaincy is an interesting one, on one hand everything I have heard seen of him looks like he is the consummate professional. On the other hand he has never been a captain, has been out for a season with a serious injury and still has some wrinkles to iron out in his own game.

Kearney making his first big moves.

Reactions: Johnnyray and eric

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Feb 22, 2016
Kiwi Coach.
Kiwi Captain
Kiwi Vice Captain
Kiwi Spine

Could very well be the club listening to some of the fans who want this to be a Kiwi orientated club.
I also think this is what Eric Watson wants as well.

I have listened to a few of his radio interviews over the last couple of years and he has always made mention of having a Warriors team full of kiwis.

With a large number of players coming off contract the Warriors can start to achieve this.

It will be interesting to see how many Kiwis the Warriors end up having in their team.

Everyone used to say that we needed Aussies in the team because they were hard nose and knew how to win.

This hasn't really worked.

With so many kiwis now playing in the NRL is this no longer the case?

Will we one day have a Warriors team with only Kiwi players?

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Kiwi Coach.
Kiwi Captain
Kiwi Vice Captain
Kiwi Spine

Could very well be the club listening to some of the fans who want this to be a Kiwi orientated club. Or very well trying to integrating the Kiwis success into the Warriors.
I hope its the latter, transferring Kiwi success.

I enjoy seeing Aussie imports go well here, it adds to the fan buzz from my POV.

Surprised at the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Captaincy.
Rogers not really a talker, so yeah be a bit like going back to a young Mannering in Pressers with a droll SK.

I don't want to be negative, first thoughts are its a big worry, but Kearney builds his whole thing on team culture so got to give him and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck the BOD.

Hopefully proves a master stroke.

Warriors do well with a good balance of P.I. White Maori players.

Tohu Harris is a good move, hope we sign a good Aussie or Pommie hardarse up front....I'd be happy with that.

Used to be mad keen on getting Whare. But Kata s defence is becoming the same quality, and Fusitua could be a beast of a center....what we need now is Props.

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
Well, SK showed he can pull the trigger. Given all the talk about our lack of tough mental attitude, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Mannering are captain an VC partly based on their attitude on and off the field. Both train hard and have high standards. Gotta feel for Shaun Johnson. Be interesting to see if it affects his signing. Next stop: Foran being registered.

We needed a replacement for Hoff next year. Harris is a great replacement.

Rilakkuma

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012

Didnt Tohu Harris play a few games at 5/8 last season? I sure that would affect his stats as a back rower.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Didnt Tohu Harris play a few games at 5/8 last season? I sure that would affect his stats as a back rower.
He played centre as well.

Following illustrates the position he played and the stats for that game in 2016:
upload_2017-2-1_17-29-38.png

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Don't think the Hoffman as captain experiment ever really worked so good on Kearney for making a change.

Like others I was a little Suprised at the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck captain appointment.
Wondering if the Mannering as VC is a halfway compromise and if he will be mainly calling the shots on the field with Roger growing into the role and taking more of a "club captain " type role doing the media side that Simon didn't seem to like.

Harris is straight swap (plus an upgrade) on Hoffman who seems on the way out now- wonder how this will effect his form this year?

eric

1st Grade Fringe
May 27, 2015
GC
The only positive I can take from it is that the team appears to really like Roger. They would follow him into battle. It's just his decision making in the heat of battle that is a concern. We haven't really seen it yet.
Don't like the idea of having a captain who falls off tackles limply either...

Ahwell, I've had my rant. Can't change anything so I'll have to back him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings