General Your 2024 lineup

Two guys who featured heavily last year who have been all but ignored on here are Ale and Afoa. Both did the jobs given to them last year. Some seem to believe we are short an middles. The list as I see it is AFB Afoa, Ale, Zyon Maiu’u, Laban, Harris, Barnett, Niukore, Tevaga. Doesn't look short to me.

Yeah at first glance there's enough names there but how many are actually quality in that position?

AFB - Beast. 2nd best prop in the game
Afoa - Good defence but limited player. Should be a back up/5th prop
Ale - unknown quantity - played prop last year but not his best role.
Zyon Maiu’u - NRL rookie
Laban - NRL rookie
Harris - Elite forward
Barnett - Awesome energy but smaller, struggles for impact against a big pack
Niukore - top forward but unproven as a middle/prop
Tevaga - Awesome energy but smaller, struggles for impact against a big pack

For me, the jury is still out on how effective our propping rotation will be. I've always said that to win a premiership you need a bit of luck and a few rookies/young guns to have a big year. If we have Tohu/AFB/Barnett/Niukore all stay injury free and play 20+ games, and 1 or 2 of Laban/Ale/Zyon Maiu’u have big years and exceed expectations I can see us having a big year. If we have to play big portions of our year with our those key 4, I think we'll struggle big time as the step down from them is quite significant in performance and experience

Yeah at first glance there's enough names there but how many are actually quality in that position?

AFB - Beast. 2nd best prop in the game
Afoa - Good defence but limited player. Should be a back up/5th prop
Ale - unknown quantity - played prop last year but not his best role.
Zyon Maiu’u - NRL rookie
Laban - NRL rookie
Harris - Elite forward
Barnett - Awesome energy but smaller, struggles for impact against a big pack
Niukore - top forward but unproven as a middle/prop
Tevaga - Awesome energy but smaller, struggles for impact against a big pack

For me, the jury is still out on how effective our propping rotation will be. I've always said that to win a premiership you need a bit of luck and a few rookies/young guns to have a big year. If we have Tohu/AFB/Barnett/Niukore all stay injury free and play 20+ games, and 1 or 2 of Laban/Ale/Zyon Maiu’u have big years and exceed expectations I can see us having a big year. If we have to play big portions of our year with our those key 4, I think we'll struggle big time as the step down from them is quite significant in performance and experience
Yeah just because u have plenty of a certain position on the books doesnt automatically correlate being well served in that position (its like the halves, we have plenty but take SJ out and we would struggle)........every other club would have the same number of middle capable forwards as us.......its an AFB that gives us the edge, take him out of the mix and that whole complexion changes. More and more initiating ruck speed is becoming the most important aspect for a middle forward and its what an effective attack relies on......AFB with his late footwork, size and power did this better than most, and with his engine capable of playing big minutes he'll be a huge loss....no 2 ways about it.

Yeah just because u have plenty of a certain position on the books doesnt automatically correlate being well served in that position (its like the halves, we have plenty but take SJ out and we would struggle)........every other club would have the same number of middle capable forwards as us.......its an AFB that gives us the edge, take him out of the mix and that whole complexion changes. More and more initiating ruck speed is becoming the most important aspect for a middle forward and its what an effective attack relies on......AFB with his late footwork, size and power did this better than most, and with his engine capable of playing big minutes he'll be a huge loss....no 2 ways about it.
The reason AFB was so effective over big minutes is the rest of the team stepping up and doing the work so he could choose his times and be so effective.

My line up.

Cnk
Dwz
Rts
Ali
Montoya
Medcalf
Sj
AFB
Egn
Barnett
Nikore
Capwell
Tohu

Walker
Jazz
Ford
Zyon Maiu’u

I’m going Ali to partner rts. That’s 2 strike centres that offer more headaches for the defence. I think Berry and rts will be selected. But by end of year, I think Ali will take that position.

Medcalf to partner Sj. Missed his xfactor and of the cuff play during the finals last year. Hope he develops his creative game over preseason, so he can unlock that left side.

I think this bench has a lot of impact. Bold brothers obviously no need to explain.
Ford was a solid starter, but Capwell takes starting position. Zyon Maiu’u showed so much promise last year, could be the big bopper we been waiting for.

Ford was a solid starter, but Capwell takes starting position. Zyon Maiu’u showed so much promise last year, could be the big bopper we been waiting for.
Zyon Maiu’u at this stage reminds me of a young Lisone with better agility and footwork, big unit built low to the ground with huge potential and better coaching than Sam got here in his NRL rookie years. Can't wait to see him rip in and wreck havoc on his debut as well as a couple of our other youngers on the first grade fringes.

Last edited:
Zyon Maiu’u at this stage reminds me of a young Lisone with better agility and footwork, big unit built low to the ground with huge potential and better coaching than Sam got here in his NRL rookie years. Can't wait to see him rip in and wreck havoc on his debut as well as a couple of our other youngers on the first grade fringes about his

Any news about his potential kicking droppies?

Charnze Nicoll-klokstad
Roger Tuivasa-Scheck
Ali Leiataua
Rocco Berry
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Luke Metcalf
Shaun Johnson
Addin Fonua-Blake
Wade Egan
Marata Niukore
Kurt Capewell
Jacko Ford
Tohu Harris

Dylan Walker
Tom Ale
Mitch Barnett
Channel Harris-Tavita

NSW cup

Taine Tauapiki
Marcello Montoya
Adam Pompey
Patrick Moi-Moi
Setu Tu
Te Maire Martin
Ronald Volkman
Zyon Maiu’u
Freddie Lussick
Bunty Afoa
Leka Halasima
Demetric Sifakula
Kalani Going

Etuane Fukofuka
Eddie Eiremia
Tanner Stowers-smith
Jacob Laban

Depth for days

Zyon Maiu’u at this stage reminds me of a young Lisone with better agility and footwork, big unit built low to the ground with huge potential and better coaching than Sam got here in his NRL rookie years. Can't wait to see him rip in and wreck havoc on his debut as well as a couple of our other youngers on the first grade fringes.
Sam lisone, dude was a beast in nsw cup. Looking forward to see Zyons growth under Webby

Just listened to TWL....

1.CNK
2.Montoya
3.Sheck
4.Berry
5.DWZ

6.TMM/CHT
7.SJ

8.AFB
9.Egan
10.Barnett
11.Capewell
12.Niukore
13.Harris

14.Walker
15.Jazz
16.Laban/Sifakula etc.
17.Lussick

Can't pick between CHT or TMM until the trials really.
One of our juniors replaces Curran. Lussick to replace Sironen. Seems very handy at wrastling..

Charnze Nicoll-klokstad
Roger Tuivasa-Scheck
Ali Leiataua
Rocco Berry
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Luke Metcalf
Shaun Johnson
Addin Fonua-Blake
Wade Egan
Marata Niukore
Kurt Capewell
Jacko Ford
Tohu Harris

Dylan Walker
Tom Ale
Mitch Barnett
Channel Harris-Tavita

NSW cup

Taine Tauapiki
Marcello Montoya
Adam Pompey
Patrick Moi-Moi
Setu Tu
Te Maire Martin
Ronald Volkman
Zyon Maiu’u
Freddie Lussick
Bunty Afoa
Leka Halasima
Demetric Sifakula
Kalani Going

Etuane Fukofuka
Eddie Eiremia
Tanner Stowers-smith
Jacob Laban

Depth for days
no Jazz?

Just listened to TWL....

1.CNK
2.Montoya
3.Sheck
4.Berry
5.DWZ

6.TMM/CHT
7.SJ

8.AFB
9.Egan
10.Barnett
11.Capewell
12.Niukore
13.Harris

14.Walker
15.Jazz
16.Laban/Sifakula etc.
17.Lussick

Can't pick between CHT or TMM until the trials really.
One of our juniors replaces Curran. Lussick to replace Sironen. Seems very handy at wrastling..

+ Jackson Ford for Laban/Sifakula.
TMM starts and CHT in 17

I like it , but pretty sure Ford won't add that much impact off the bench. Great for 80 though , maybe capewells understudy?

I dunno, Webby has the 'work hard, get picked' mantra and has been very vocal of Ford being the fittest and putting effort in, so I'm not sure I even see him getting relegated to the bench. Being left out all together is something I just can't see.

I think it's Cape-Wah and Ford on the edges, but would be more than happy for Ford on the bench if he could come on for 40 min and just go nuts.

Edit: for those in the know about sport nutrition - if someone has great endurance and fitness, would that translate into being able to explode and go gangbusters for a shorter period of time, or are they 2 very different skill sets? Or is Ford's fitness and motor largely reserved for those longer, endurance periods?

I have been questioned on here by some when I posted that everyone will have to earn their spots.
Should never be any guarantees in a GOOD NRL team
I still question both you and Webby, i do get the sentiment but it's not totally true. A lot of players come into preseason with 1sr grade experience who have proven they can compete at that level and as long as they do the preseason with the right attitude they are guaranteed a start in the 17 in our 1st game.

i would include the following in that list.: AFB, Egan, Barnett, Capewell, Ford, Walker, Niukore, Harris, SJ, RTS DWZ, CNK.

So at least two thirds of the team are guaranteed a spot if they train right and are fit.

I still question both you and Webby, i do get the sentiment but it's not totally true. A lot of players come into preseason with 1sr grade experience who have proven they can compete at that level and as long as they do the preseason with the right attitude they are guaranteed a start in the 17 in our 1st game.

i would include the following in that list.: AFB, Egan, Barnett, Capewell, Ford, Walker, Niukore, Harris, SJ, RTS DWZ, CNK.

So at least two thirds of the team are guaranteed a spot if they train right and are fit.
This is pretty much it, to say all spots are up for grabs is just a sound bite.

Of those only SFB, Egan, Harris, DWZ, CNK and SJ would be guaranteed a spot in the 13 in their favoured position though?

Back