Status
Not open for further replies.
ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT: Vodafone Warriors v Dragons
Richard Becht
Tuesday 3 September 2013 1:57 PM
Astaticnrlsportalhostingcom site  content LeadImage 00096878 leadimage
Jacob Lillyman will become the second Vodafone Warriors prop in successive games to reach a career milestone in the club's final regular season NRL clash against St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium in Wollongong on Saturday (3.00pm kick-off local time; 5.00pm NZT).
Last Saturday night Sam Rapira joined the Vodafone Warriors’ elite group of players who have appeared in 150 games for the club.
Now North Queenslander Lillyman, who started with the Vodafone Warriors in 2009, will become the 22nd player to appear in 100 games for the club after beginning his NRL career with 62 appearances for the Cowboys from 2003-2008. Last year young front rowers Ben Matulino and Russell Packer also reached the 100-game mark.
Lillyman has regularly operated in tandem with Matulino from the interchange since being converted into a full-time prop.
“Jake is so reliable and so consistent, a player who gives the team exactly what’s needed week in, week out,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Matthew Elliott.
“His experience around the players is also invaluable and it’s a great reward seeing him reach a mark that means a lot at our club.”
Lillyman will mark his achievement in a match of vital significance to the Vodafone Warriors. They make the trip to Wollongong sitting in 10th spot on the table, one of three teams on 26 and eyeing a chance of making the finals in the very last round of the season.
With their record 50-16 rout of Canberra last Saturday night, they climbed into the top eight for the first time this season but held eighth spot for less than 24 hours before results on Sunday pushed them out of the top half of the competition.
The final round starts with four teams vying for the last two spots in the top eight – Newcastle on 27 followed by North Queensland, Gold Coast and the Vodafone Warriors on 26 while Penrith and Canberra are on 24.
To remain in contention the Vodafone Warriors will have to create history with their first win against the Dragons at WIN Stadium following a run of nine straight losses since St George Illawarra entered the competition in 1999. The club’s only success at the ground was against the Illawarra Steelers in 1996.
Should they achieve a breakthrough win, the Vodafone Warriors would then have to rely on the outcome of the two matches following theirs on Saturday night when the Melbourne Storm host the Titans (7.30 NZT) and the Cowboys meet Wests Tigers in Townsville (9.30 NZT). Depending on the results in those matches, the contest between Newcastle and Parramatta on Sunday could also come into play in determining whether the Vodafone Warriors make the finals.
“It’s come down to the last round and, as we’ve seen, this competition throws up some amazing things,” he said.
“We need to worry about ourselves first and then let’s just see what happens.”
Jerome Ropati (hamstring) has been named on the right win and Dane Nielsen (ankle) in the centres with Elliott hopeful both will be fit to face the Dragons. Included on a six-man bench are Ngani Laumape and Sio Siua Taukeiaho.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
WIN Stadium, Wollongong
3.00pm, Saturday, September 07

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 JEROME ROPATI
3 DANE NIELSEN
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 THOMAS LEULUAI
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 SUAIA MATAGI
11 ELIJAH TAYLOR
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 TODD LOWRIE

Interchange:

14 BEN MATULINO
15 JACOB LILLYMAN
16 FELETI MATEO
17 DOMINIQUE PEYROUX
18 NGANI LAUMAPE
20 SIO SIUA TAUKEIAHO

HEAD COACH: MATTHEW ELLIOTT

Last edited by a moderator:
ryno

ryno

Is he the center for the Vulcans that kicked goals on the weekend?

ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

Am hearing that there are another couple of players babies due.......taking a couple of players for "cover"

Reactions: Hitman82
Fazz

Fazz

If Nielson goes off hurt again, I'm going to be quite annoyed. It's happened in his past two. He's also been horrible in attack. Either his legs really crook or he's majorly gone off the boil.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Dragons
1 Jason Nightingale
2 Brett Morris
3 Chase Stanley
4 Charly Runciman
5 Daniel Vidot
6 Adam Quinlan
7 Nathan Fien
8 Jack Stockwell
9 Mitch Rein
10 Ben Creagh (c)
11 Tyson Frizell
12 Leeson Ah Mau
13 Jack de Belin

Interchange
14 Matt Prior
15 Michael Weyman
16 Bronson Harrison
17 Josh Drinkwater
19 Will Matthews

Coach: Steve Price

Pretty stoked to see Taukeiaho named, even if it is on an extended bench. He's a great player and has only been held back by injuries. Id be stoked to see him debut.

Rest of the team is pretty predictable. Looking good for the win but you never know...

Reactions: Maraea
Warriorholic

Warriorholic

This will be our last game of the season so I think we should just go out there with a touch footy game plan and try and put 60 on them. I think its our only shot to get in is with our for/against. Just show them no respect at all, have Mateo, Locke and Johnson just go to town and see what happens. Whats the worst that could happen? I know it wont happen but would be a great spectacle for the end of the season

Reactions: shuffle and Woofa
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Dragons have lost ability to win: Price
Written by: AAP+
503009 price
Beleaguered St George Illawarra coach Steve Price concedes his side has lost the ability to win NRL games after the joint venture side established a new club record losing streak.

The Dragons 26-22 loss on Monday to Parramatta, the only club below them on the ladder, was the latest in a series of crushing blows for the proud club.

It was a sixth straight defeat and their ninth in their last ten games.

“We’re in a tough spot at the moment, we’re in a bit of a flat spot,” Price said.

“We’ve lost our way to winning at the moment. It is hard to take at he moment.

“We just can’t put it together for the full term.’

With an extensive injury list including NSW Origin stars Josh Dugan and Trent Merrin, Price has been forced to blood youngsters prematurely.

Despite the wretched results, Price is adamant it is a case of short term pain for long term gain.

“We’ve got a lot of young guys that have been thrust into first grade who most probably weren’t quite ready at that time,” Price said.

“But they are going to reap dividends down the track, especially next year.

“But we’re learning a valuable lesson at the moment. It is hard.

Captain Ben Creagh identified a depressingly familiar theme after the Dragons surrendered a 12-0 lead on Monday.

“It was just disappointing how we finished off the first half and I know we fought back there in the second half, but it was too late,” forward Creagh said.

“There have been a lot of games this season that have been very similar to that, and a lot of the same things keep popping up.

“Whether it’s ill-discipline or things that are just hurting us during the game and we’re not responding well enough to that.”

Creagh even admitted the Dragons were guilty of the cardinal sin of taking their foot of the pedal following their blistering start.

“I’d like to say ‘no we didn’t,’ but we must have because they came back,” Creagh said.

www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/dragons-have-lost-ability-to-win-price/86457#ixzz2dob2QtjO

Some serious loser talk there lol...

edd

edd

Year well the dragons are in luck because we can't play for shite unless we're the underdogs.... And there aint much chance of us getting that title ahead of this game now is there....

Here comes the warriors roller coaster ride.....

Reactions: 1 person

slaughterhouse.sa

Dragons
1 Jason Nightingale
2 Brett Morris
3 Chase Stanley
4 Charly Runciman
5 Daniel Vidot
6 Adam Quinlan
7 Nathan Fien
8 Jack Stockwell
9 Mitch Rein
10 Ben Creagh (c)
11 Tyson Frizell
12 Leeson Ah Mau
13 Jack de Belin

Interchange
14 Matt Prior
15 Michael Weyman
16 Bronson Harrison
17 Josh Drinkwater
19 Will Matthews

Coach: Steve Price

Pretty stoked to see Taukeiaho named, even if it is on an extended bench. He's a great player and has only been held back by injuries. Id be stoked to see him debut.

Rest of the team is pretty predictable. Looking good for the win but you never know...

Yeah for mine Taukieaho has always being one of the junirors with the most potential.
He has suffered a few broken legs.

Looked good last week - but clocked off once and let in a try.

However he is a boy from the hood so not too sure how good a trainer he is etc.
Still a young bloke too.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Marshthedarsh

I liked Lillyman's idea. If they win, have soda and beer waiting and see how the results affect the choice of beverage.

Of course for us non players that'll be beer and more expensive beer (or champagne - whatever your tipple)

edd

edd

Acdn3newsconz 3news AM 2013 9 5 311971 Manu Vatuvei 1200 4736ab6e75ac1af11fb0d4fcc1ee83c8
When Manu gets fired, look out.....

He's gonna have to go looking for space tho, cause the dragons would be crazy not to try and mark him out of the game... I'd like to see him in more set plays running to the other side of the field, linking with Konrad...

Reactions: eX | Machina
Moz

Moz

We should take them comfortably Trent Merrin and Dugan out , and too a lesser extent Dan Hunt you would hope our forwards would dominate the middle and without Dugan to pull their asses out of the fire the Dragons are average at best. Plus they have nothing to play for we have everything if all else fails desperation should get us across the line.

I almost wish we were completely out of the running and ME could risk trying Locke at five-eigth not sure if he still has the out right speed for FB anymore ( unless he's carrying an injury? ), still believe five-eigth is his suited position.

Last edited:
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Actually im not really worried at all, IF the warriors get into the 8 or not will have no bearing on the team winning by 1 or by 40 so, I truly think that they can go into this game with a much more relaxed attitude and just enjoy it like they were playing the Storm or the Broncos (of old, not this years lot). Personally I think the season is over and results are better than expected at the start of the year, with a mid year high as we hit the 7 wins in a row, then down to the crashing despair of the 3 game losses towards the end. The Last 2 games have buoyed me up some what and when the Dragons admit that they can no longer win games, I cant really see the warriors losing. However I also don't think well put 100 on them so theres no real reason to get super hyped up either.

SO to summarise that was poor weather building to just acceptable early in the day, to be followed by a short intense bout of increased excitement round lunch time, a quick reality check just before dinner and then a mild sunny evening to launch you into the big sleep before tomorrow.

And the forecast for tomorrow is SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY. or someone is getting the rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.