Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let's not forget the world - supply chain shortages due to wars, covid, etc. High petrol prices, that's not in our control - hey, maybe we should switch to walking, evs and cycling!

Except of course this mob have cancelled everything that's good for the human race.

Right wing cancel culture!!

Note that every country went through and is going through inflation.
Inflation was set off by covid but each countries policies has made it better or worse. We’ve had higher inflation for longer with the international inflation setting off a domestic wages spiral whereby domestic inflation has been a considerable problem.

We have to accept covid and international supply lines have been a big contribution.

We also have to accept our reserve bank pumped to hard and then hasn’t been aggressive enough aiming for a soft landing.

But also the govt with record govt spending increases, above inflation minimum wage increases and setting public sector wage negotiation based on inflation is all inflationary.

Merry Christmas mate - I’ve enjoyed your perspective as it makes me reflect on my thinking 👍

Safe to say that tax cuts are completely unaffordable then
And never have been if you listen to Willis.
She has been warning of doom and gloom for a long time yet her major election bribe was taxcuts. Unfortunately people have been blindsided.
Be interesting to see the end result.
Do we get a chippolatta or something bigger.
But as Nicola said its not the size but how its delivered
Hopefully my missus doesn't see this.
Have a great Christmas to all you forumers regardless of your opinions
Stay safe with your families and catch up with you guys soon

Last edited:
And never have been if you listen to Willis.
She has been warning of doom and gloom for a long time yet her major election bribe was taxcuts. Unfortunately people have been blindsided.
Be interesting to see the end result.
Do we get a chippolatta or something bigger.
But as Nicola said its not the size but how its delivered
Hopefully my missus doesn't see this.
Have a great Christmas to all you forumers regardless of your opinions
Stay safe with your families and catch up with you guys soon
happy xmas everyone, I will endeavour to stay over in the gameday forums more :) (and fail)

We learned this week that the average New Zealander became progressively worse off through 2023 with a falling standard of living due to negative GDP. The HYEFU shows we will continue becoming poorer right through 2024 and into 2025. Real NZ is going significantly backwards.

That would be the most sustained period of falling GDP per capita this century, longer than the blips after the GFC and the first Covid wave. Shocking

Worse, we are largely alone in the developed world in getting steadily poorer in the current international environment. That means we can’t blame global factors like covid, Russia/Ukraine or Israel for our poor performance. Why - domestic policy based

We now have high interest rates, lingering high inflation and the economy in a recession with a huge infrastructure deficit. Only going to get worse

The country spent $30b more on imports than it earned from its exports in the year to September. This year the govt accounts showed an Obegal deficit of $9.4 billion. FFS - living WAY beyond our means.

Thanks Labour… remember our worst government in history and never let them in charge of our economy again! And for all you defenders, this train wreck was being predicted as it happened based on a raft of daft policies.

At least we have the Warriors to look forward to! Webster for PM?

This is the third big cannabis bust in the last few months, still obviously targeted by police for those that felt things had relaxed a bit after a strong referendum showing for alterations to laws around it. Interesting how the new government cites the potential of a black market as the main driver for ditching the smoking legislation proposed for 2025. Given also its openly admitted the war on drugs has been a failure and again a strong referendum showing, I wonder if they’d treat the public as grown up enough to open discussions again to see if they could have a bearing on that black market?

The pessimist in me says just another crook, anyone feel differently about this guy?
The alarming thing to me is the fact he was looking into Port privatisation & most of the other councillors didnt know.
Start of a slippery slope I think.

Queenstown has been joined by places like Northland, Tauranga, Waiheke, Rotorua, Kapiti Coast and Nelson as having a rental crisis. Why? Because a number of landlords have changed their investment properties to Air BnB or Bookabach for short term accommodation.

They‘re making more money, don’t have to deal with long term tenants, can still use the house during the year and can claim 100% of the mortgage interest.

And what’s the consequence of this? Rents are been driven up on those still in the rental pool leading to a rental crisis.

But let’s not try to make owning a rental property attractive again, because that would put rental property owners back on an equal footing with every other business which can claim all their expenses on their tax bill. No, we’d rather have a crisis, less houses rented out and renters paying more for those properties still being rented.

Queenstown has been joined by places like Northland, Tauranga, Waiheke, Rotorua, Kapiti Coast and Nelson as having a rental crisis. Why? Because a number of landlords have changed their investment properties to Air BnB or Bookabach for short term accommodation.

They‘re making more money, don’t have to deal with long term tenants, can still use the house during the year and can claim 100% of the mortgage interest.

And what’s the consequence of this? Rents are been driven up on those still in the rental pool leading to a rental crisis.

But let’s not try to make owning a rental property attractive again, because that would put rental property owners back on an equal footing with every other business which can claim all their expenses on their tax bill. No, we’d rather have a crisis, less houses rented out and renters paying more for those properties still being rented.
Haha WTF, Queenstown lead the country in the rental crisis starting around 10 years ago. How is this news?

The left: housing is a need and it shouldn’t be profitable. Let’s make it uneconomic.

Also the left: why are there not enough houses available? Why is my rent rocketing up? I don’t understand… must be greedy landlords 🙄

The left: housing is a need and it shouldn’t be profitable. Let’s make it uneconomic.

Also the left: why are there not enough houses available? Why is my rent rocketing up? I don’t understand… must be greedy landlords 🙄
Hey Mike - IT IS THE GREEDY LANDLORDS. But anyway, try building new, and regulating air bnb, also a bed tax for travellers.

Housing is a need mate.

Back