New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. Tonga
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Captain
Status
Active
No I don't. But professional sports is a cut throat business and AFB is leveraging the only asset he has; his body. Which has a very defined window of opportunity.

Do you think that's unreasonable?
I tihnk it's unreasonable when he signed a contract til 2026. He didn't have too. We gave him a million plus dollar contract. There's only a handful of forwards on the money he is on in the world of Rugby League.

Mind you, A contract is not worth the paper it is written on these days. Gone are the days of loyalty & honour.
Eventually one of the NRL clubs will get fed up and hold these club jumping pricks to honour their contracts. And every other club should follow suit

On the other hand, If the reason they leave is for genuine reasons as in a sick or dying relative. I can deal with that.

We're in a really tough situation now, you've got a player in the senior leadership group who has gone to the media before speaking to the club. Doesn't exactly scream leadership does it.

Even though he's decided to stay on for 2024, I can't see this working out well. Will be absolutely off the bloke if it derails our season with the SJ window closing.

I tihnk it's unreasonable when he signed a contract til 2026. He didn't have too. We gave him a million plus dollar contract. There's only a handful of forwards on the money he is on in the world of Rugby League.

Mind you, A contract is not worth the paper it is written on these days. Gone are the days of loyalty & honour.
Eventually one of the NRL clubs will get fed up and hold these club jumping pricks to honour their contracts. And every other club should follow suit

On the other hand, If the reason they leave is for genuine reasons as in a sick or dying relative. I can deal with that.
Bro if I signed a contract with McDonald's for 5 years then KFC comes along and says well pay you more.
Get fucked McDonald's.
All the contract does is stipulate how long the clubs paying you for. Not how long you have to stay. Can't force a man to work imo.

Bro if I signed a contract with McDonald's for 5 years then KFC comes along and says well pay you more.
Get fucked McDonald's.
All the contract does is stipulate how long the clubs paying you for. Not how long you have to stay. Can't force a man to work imo.
It's a binding agreement he can't provide his service elsewhere though, so it's leverage in the clubs side in this instance.

I'm not sure how to feel about this one. I'm arguing the devil and angel on my shoulders right now. Often the early release to the media is the managers play and the player just trusts the process so to speak 🤣🤣 Clearly it's not life or death situation or the club would let him go pending adequate compensation of course (though this could play out mid season still and he moves on in the window) If he has a great season again he's got my support if he's playing average webby will put him in his place I'm sure.
Though knowing webby is a players coach I think he'll get him playing his best again.

Maybe he was legitimately concerned about his family? And jumped the gun only to have the communication and support of the club help him to stay for 2024 which is what might have happened if he had approached the club but not let it out to the media.

Yeah also, if we had two up and coming props, Haas twins and that meant moving AFB on, would it be unreasonable for the club to try? Just because we had a 5 year deal?
Thats been a rollercoaster 24hrs!

Always harder when we are the one getting dumped.
At the end of the day though Is clubs telling contracted players they are "free to negotiate with other clubs" essentially the same as a player asking for a "compassionate leave" release?

Thats been a rollercoaster 24hrs!

Always harder when we are the one getting dumped.
At the end of the day though Is clubs telling contracted players they are "free to negotiate with other clubs" essentially the same as a player asking for a "compassionate leave" release?
No, its actually a gesture of goodwill by the club. Telling a player they wont be retained for xyz reason once their contract is up, and they are free to negotiate a better deal elsewhere is obviously mutually beneficial.