Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
KingBubz

KingBubz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
slide.jpg

Vodafone Warriors stand-in captain Manu Vatuvei is eyeing history, Nathan Friend will make his 150th career appearance and Carlos Tuimavave his first in Sunday’s 22nd-round NRL clash against Cronulla at Mount Smart Stadium (2.00pm kick-off local time).
With regular skipper Simon Mannering not yet fully recovered from an ankle injury, Vatuvei (26) will again lead the Vodafone Warriors in his 148th appearance, one which could create an NRL first.
After scoring his 99th try last weekend, the giant winger will have a chance in front of Vodafone Warriors members and fans on Sunday to become the first player to score 100 NRL tries for the club.
Two other players – the oldest in the squad and the youngest – will both achieve key milestones.
Hooker Friend (31) will reach the 150-game mark in his 15th appearance for his new club after 135 games previously for Brisbane, Melbourne and Gold Coast.
At the other end of the ledger Tuimavave (20), who’s in his last year playing NYC football for the Vodafone Junior Warriors, will become the club’s 177th first-grade player after being named on the bench for the Cronulla encounter.
Tuimavave will be the third member of the well-known rugby league family to play for the Vodafone Warriors following his uncle Tony and cousin Evarn.
Carlos Tuimavave travelled to Perth as cover for the match against Manly last weekend and will join a bench which also includes the returning Steve Rapira, who has recovered from a hamstring injury, as well as regulars Sione Lousi and Jacob Lillyman plus likely 18th man Ukuma Ta’ai.
“With Carlos it’s great to see another product of our development system coming through to the NRL,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan.
“He’s a player with lots of ability and he’ll give us cover in the halves, the centres at fullback and maybe even loose forward if needed.
“It’d be brilliant if Manu can score his 100th try in front of our members and fans at Mount Smart Stadium this Sunday. It’ll be a fantastic achievement for him to become our first player to score 100 tries in the NRL.
“And it’s great to see Nathan getting to 150 games and do it at home.”
McClennan said neither Mannering nor centre Konrad Hurrell would be ready to play this week, rating them both week-by-week propositions. With Hurrell out, Ben Henry returns to the centres where Lewis Brown will again line up. It results in Elijah Taylor moving into the second row and 2010-2011 NYC premiership winner Sebastine Ikahihifo starting at loose forward after making his debut from the bench last week.
For the sixth time in recent weeks the Vodafone Warriors will field a side comprising 11 NYC graduates with Tuimavave and Rapira coming in for Hurrell and interchange forward Sam Lousi.
The Vodafone Warriors sit 12th on the table but remain only two points out of the top eight (Gold Coast is eighth on 22 points). Of the six teams on 22 or 20 points the Vodafone Warriors are the only side with a plus points for and against differential (+23).
Cronulla, which has had a draw and three losses in its last four starts, has slipped to seventh on 25 points with a minus 12 points for and against differential.
Meanwhile, veteran loose forward Micheal Luck will return to the playing field this weekend - for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup rather than going back directly into the NRL.
After coming back for two matches, Luck was sidelined again with more issues with his troublesome shoulder. He will trial it playing for the Vulcans against Wentworthville on Mount Smart Stadium No 2 on Saturday (1.00pm kick-off local time)

VODAFONE WARRIORS v CRONULLA SHARKS
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
2.00pm, Sunday, August 5

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 BILL TUPOU
3 BEN HENRY
4 LEWIS BROWN
5 MANU VATUVEI (c)
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 RUSSELL PACKER
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 BEN MATULINO
11 FELETI MATEO
12 ELIJAH TAYLOR
13 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO

Interchange:
14 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
15 SIONE LOUSI
16 JACOB LILLYMAN
17 STEVE RAPIRA
20 UKUMA TA’AI

HEAD COACH: BRIAN McCLENNAN

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Be good to see Tui play, I guess he'll come in at centre and Brown/Henry will move to second row. Great to see Seb get a start, he had good impact last week.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well clearly we've given up on this year.

Seb deserves his start, that's a positive. A shame he'll be dropped so we can keep Taylor when Mannering is back.

What's the point of Tuimavave on the bench, though? He'll play what, ten minutes out of position at Hooker? Maybe they're throw him in the centres so Brown can stifle our attack totally at dummy half. Jesus. This is just a joke now. We're already a laughing stock after coughing up two 18 point leads in a row, this does not help matters.

Bill "Best Season Yet" Tupou to cough up at least one try before halftime again, too.

Reaction score
insulinboi

insulinboi

U20's Player
Reaction score
Sharks are out of form so we will probably win. But my god, this team could be so much better. Nooo idea what role carlos will play on the bench. I guess at least there have been SOME changes we can be thankful for.

Reaction score
ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What has Godinet done wrong????
Wouldn't you leave Carlos in the Under 20s so we still have a decent shot at the Minor & Major Premiership?????

Reaction score
ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Unless they run Carlos at #4 and run Brown off the bench

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
I have a feeling they want to see how Carlos goes in first grade. He is offcontract this year. He travelled with the team to Perth last week i believe. I reckon we will win, not because of Blueys ingenious game plans, but because on paper, at home, we should be too strong for a sharks team who are faltering without some key personnel.

I find it hard to believe that Mclennan believes that after Mannering, Manu is next in line for the captaincy. I thought last week was some sort of a plan to instill belief in Manu...but really? Manu as a leader? a long term leader? Lets just pray that Mannering doesnt go out injured all of next season...

Reaction score
bigstu

bigstu

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
yet another rookie has there ever been this many rookies debut in one season for the warriors has he not learnt that the juniors can't hack the pace of the game

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So I guess this means nothing came of Maloney being placed on report?

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Ikahihifo starting, good call imo. He looked like he can attack and defend and pass. He might be a great partner for mannering and mateo next year.

Great to see Carlos there too. I guess we are officially preparing for next year.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
yet another rookie has there ever been this many rookies debut in one season for the warriors has he not learnt that the juniors can't hack the pace of the game
There were more in 2009 as I recall... a total of 12 according to the mighty Wikipedia.

So far this year:
Carlos
Seb
Sam
Konrad
Ben
Omar

More than ideal.

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Ikahihifo starting, good call imo. He looked like he can attack and defend and pass. He might be a great partner for mannering and mateo next year.

Great to see Carlos there too. I guess we are officially preparing for next year.
Damn straight. Carlos debuting where he should end up would take the nuts of a baboon. But i don't think seeing as we still a mathematical chance of the finals. Any coach would ever roll those insane odds. Carlos in the team. Seb starting. It's hard not to see the positives.

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Damn straight. Carlos debuting where he should end up would take the nuts of a baboon. But i don't think seeing as we still a mathematical chance of the finals. Any coach would ever roll those insane odds. Carlos in the team. Seb starting. It's hard not to see the positives.
We hope. Carlos will probably be playing wing :(

Reaction score
eX | Machina

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He'll end up in the centres IMO

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
There were more in 2009 as I recall... a total of 12 according to the mighty Wikipedia.

So far this year:
Carlos
Seb
Sam
Konrad
Ben
Omar

More than ideal.
'Juniors': Leeson Ah Mau, Ukuma Ta'ai, Daniel O'Regan, Lewis Brown, Kevin Locke, Aaron Heremaia, Issac John, Siuatonga Likiliki
From other clubs: Denan Kemp, Joel Moon, Jacob Lillyman, Jessie Royal

'Juniors': Ben Henry, Konrad Hurrell, Sebastine Ikahihfo, Sam Lousi, Omar Slaimankhel
From other clubs: Nathan Friend

Reaction score
Numbnutsnz

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don't get it. Why play Los at all?

It will be interesting to see but largely pointless in my opinion. He won't play in his proper position and would be much more valuable in the U20's and their championship run.
There have been so many decisions like this that have left me scratching my head im starting to scab.

Reaction score

Waiting For Premiership

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wonder if Bluey had used his peanut size brain, and NOT put Konrad back on ,would he be fit for Sunday ? Damn Right he'd be fine !!!!

Reaction score
bigstu

bigstu

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
'Juniors': Leeson Ah Mau, Ukuma Ta'ai, Daniel O'Regan, Lewis Brown, Kevin Locke, Aaron Heremaia, Issac John, Siuatonga Likiliki
From other clubs: Denan Kemp, Joel Moon, Jacob Lillyman, Jessie Royal

'Juniors': Ben Henry, Konrad Hurrell, Sebastine Ikahihfo, Sam Lousi, Omar Slaimankhel
From other clubs: Nathan Friend
those names weren't nyc rookies tho they had debut at other clubs. 6 of them had played in other teams or played nsw cup

Reaction score
Numbnutsnz

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wonder if Bluey had used his peanut size brain, and NOT put Konrad back on ,would he be fit for Sunday ? Damn Right he'd be fine !!!!
Konrad might have said he was fine, he might have in fact felt fine, trainer could have diagnosed it wrong. There are a number of things that affected Blueys decision. You can't say he would have been fine this week as if it's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom