Team List Round 21 - Warriors Vs Sea-Eagles - Mannering out, Vatuvei to lead side

Reaction score
KingBubz

KingBubz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
slide.jpg
Captain Simon Mannering will miss his first NRL match in more than two years after being ruled out of the Vodafone Warriors’ trip to Perth for their 21st-round clash against Manly at Patersons Stadium on Saturday (5.30pm kick-off local time).

Mannering injured his right ankle late in last Saturday night’s 19-24 loss to Newcastle at Mount Smart Stadium.
While the 164-game veteran is out of contention this week medical staff are optimistic he’ll return for the 22nd-round encounter with Cronulla at Mount Smart Stadium for this game.

His absence has resulted in a career first for winger Manu Vatuvei who has been named to lead the side in what will be his 147th appearance as he comes back after missing the Newcastle game with a hamstring injury.
“We’re satisfied Simon isn’t seriously injured but he’ll be out this week,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan.

“It’s a big loss for us obviously because Simon does so much work for us and we’re so used to having him out there every week and nearly always for the full 80 minutes.

“It’s exciting, though, to be able to give big Manu the honour of captaining our club for the first time. He’s a great man is Manu and he’s really humbled to be given the job. We know he’ll lead the way and the boys will be there giving him their full support.”

Mannering will miss his first NRL match since the 10th-round clash against North Queensland in May, 2010. A week later he began a run of 62 consecutive appearances for the club.

With Mannering out, McClennan has shuffled his back row and centres combinations with Lewis Brown moved off the bench to start at left centre and Ben Henry named in the second row after being used as a centre in all 18 matches so far this season.

Giant forward Sam Lousi, rushed in at the last moment last weekend to make his NRL debut as Vodafone Warrior No 175, will make his second appearance on Saturday. A day after his 21st birthday, he and older brother Sione became only the fourth set of brothers to team up in an NRL match for the Vodafone Warriors (the first since Vinnie and Louis Anderson in 2004).

Sam Lousi played alongside his brother for the last eight minutes, getting heavily involved making 40 metres from five runs and also pulling off six tackles without a miss.

Lousi, who came in after Steve Rapira’s injury in the warm-up, will be joined by another debutant in back rower Sebastine Ikahihifo, who’ll become No 176. They were both in the Vodafone Junior Warriors’ 2010-2011 NYC premiership-winning sides and also represented the Junior Kiwis both years.

The other bench players will again be Sione Lousi, who’ll be playing his 19th consecutive game this season, and the experienced Jacob Lillyman. Pita Godinet has been named 18th man.

Apart from Lousi, Henry and Brown, other players extending their sequence of appearing in every match so far this campaign are winger Bill Tupou, standoff James Maloney, loose forward Elijah Taylor, second rower Feleti Mateo and props Russell Packer and Ben Matulino.

Several players are nearing milestones. Vatuvei needs two more tries to become the first player to score 100 NRL tries for the Vodafone Warriors and he’s four games short of his 150th career game; hooker Nathan Friend is two games short of his 150th; Packer needs five more appearances for his 100th; and Tupou (47) and Mateo (46) are closing in on their 50th game for the club.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v MANLY SEA EAGLES
Patersons Stadium, Perth
5.30pm, Saturday, July 28
Referees: Jared Maxwell and Alan Shortall
VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 BILL TUPOU
3 LEWIS BROWN
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 MANU VATUVEI (c)
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 RUSSELL PACKER
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 BEN MATULINO
11 FELETI MATEO
12 BEN HENRY
13 ELIJAH TAYLOR
Interchange:
14 SAM LOUSI
15 SIONE LOUSI
16 JACOB LILLYMAN
17 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO
18 PITA GODINET

HEAD COACH: BRIAN McCLENNAN

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Mannering-out-Vatuvei-to-lead-side/60030

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Henry in the forwards?

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Dear god, that starting back row is limer than myself after the game last week...Mateo is the only one that will make ground at all. Very interesting to see how Same Lousi and Sebatine Ikahihifo go. I really rated Seb before he did his knee. Haven't seen him play much since then.

Reaction score

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just when i think iv'e seen the slowest Warriors team in history...the bar gets lifted, that said, i would bet Ikahihifo is faster with better footwork than both our wingers and Brown
at center. I think things might get messy on the weekend...say goodbye to our positive for and against.

Reaction score
Ranger

Ranger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I know it's an honor for a guy that's been at the Warriors his whole career but Manu as captain o_O

Looking forward to seeing Ikahihifo play his 1st game.

How ever will Henry cope playing in the unfamiliar position of 2nd row.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Traveling to Perth against a pissed off Sea Eagles (who we never beat) with probably the most inexperienced bench in the comp does not bode well tbh. Who would Pita be cover for? Johnson or Locke maybe?

Reaction score

Danpatmac

oh.

my.

god.

words fail me.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

Manu is not a captains arsehole.

Ok can someone tell me what is a centre and what is a back rower?.. because as a fan of this club I have no clue.

Seriously... lose a centre then replace with back rower, lose a back rower replace with a centre.... i'm lost.

This is a debacle.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That second row is the smallest I have seen I reckon. The props are going to have to step up even more than normal to carry the metre making. I cant see Henry or Taylor making much more than 60m.

Looking forward to seeing Samy and Seb.

Sweet jesus.

Reaction score
David James

David James

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
W.T.F.

Seriously. Even looking at the Brown and Henry swap in isolation, why are we messing with the Manu - Henry combination and moving a sound defensive second rower cum centre and replacing him with a shirt grabber. Then moving a person who has struggled to go forward in the tackle from the centres and put him in the place of someone who always goes forward.

I honestly laughed when I saw this team list.

Then cried.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

Brian Mclennan is a clown.

he is working to his own logic and I have no idea how, what and why.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
How come Omar gets scrapped but Tupou faces no consequence for the same performance. I would have thought that Omar would be a better 18th man at the moment with Locke having so many issues. I like the idea of Godinet getting another chance, should he be called up, but I think right now it should be Omar. Either that or Tupou gets dumped and Omar has a go on his wing.

Like to see Sam Lousi and Mateo interchanging. Benry should not be in the back row. He is too small now.

This is the sort of crap looking team who are just as likely to win it and keep our fading hopes alive for one more week.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
How come Omar gets scrapped but Tupou faces no consequence for the same performance. I would have thought that Omar would be a better 18th man at the moment with Locke having so many issues. I like the idea of Godinet getting another chance, should he be called up, but I think right now it should be Omar. Either that or Tupou gets dumped and Omar has a go on his wing.

Like to see Sam Lousi and Mateo interchanging. Benry should not be in the back row. He is too small now.

This is the sort of crap looking team who are just as likely to win it and keep our fading hopes alive for one more week.
Tupou was much worse imo. Omar was at least facing the right way half of the time.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Manu as captain? Really? He'll go well organising the troops from the sideline. I would have thought Friend, Mateo, Packer or Matulino would be better choices. Ohhh well.

And yeah, the ridiculous Centre/Backrow musical chairs. Why oh why.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

Mateo has captained Tonga and is very experienced, he would have been my choice to captain... get 60mins out of him and I bet he would really put in a super game.

instead we get captain butterfingers.

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
ben henrys chance to get a spot for next year. alex glenn is pretty much the exact same size as henry and theres nothing wrong with him in the forwards. if henry can perform anything like glenn id be happy.

i would prefer to see friend as captain over manu. friend seems like the kind of guy who wouldnt take shit performances lightly.

Top Bottom