Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
It seems the Bulldogs recruitment strategy is for players in headgear.
Makes sense as to why he stated "He always looked like Bulldog" haha.

This feels like a break up, i knew it was over once he changed his IG profile pic from in warriors gear to one of him in the indigenous jersey, but what hurt was when he removed "Warrior #238" from his bio 😔

BUT (and i'm not sure if they play same position) we have Josh Cuzzan look-a-like in Tanner Stowers-smith. Hopefully he has the same skill set.

I see Webby's (or the clubs) thoughts though. We keep the man, the myth, the legend Cuzzan, and potentially lose a name that becomes like a JFH, NAS, Thompson, JWH, Tapine or whatever through Laban, Zyon Maiu’u, Sifakula or Halasima because clubs be sniffing to give them game time, and in a few years time we'd be saying how tf did we let him slip.

I hope the Cuzzan does well though and make SOO for NSW, do wish he got picked up by club with a better chance cause you could be garbage and play for penrith and be selected for NSW but he has the heart and that's where he deserves to be and man i miss the motherfucker already hahahaha

(Yes, he was my favourite player and yes I was in a Cuzzan Cult)

Forced smile, weepy eyes, and a broken finger. I reckon Gould is off camera with a pair of pliers. Josh thought he was just popping over for a cup of coffee...

You can't tell me anyone would sign for the Bulldogs without duress.

Seriously though, I'm surprised it is only two years at his age. Perhaps one of the parties isn't entirely sure how it will turn out?
I was very surprised at only two years as well 🤔

Manly offering Olakau’atu a $7mil 8 year contract. Already had DCE and both Trbojovichs on long and expensive deals. Dangerous contract for lazy players that can just cruise once not playing for another contract.
Don't forget Des Hasler apparantly has a fetish for back-ended contracts. That's what did for him at the Bulldogs. I understand why it happens, but I'd really prefer the NRL stamp down on back ending and front loading and just went "Okay, we'll give every club a few years to get their salary cap shit together, but as of 2027, if you sign a player for 5 years for $5m, he's getting $1m per year."

Don't forget Des Hasler apparantly has a fetish for back-ended contracts. That's what did for him at the Bulldogs. I understand why it happens, but I'd really prefer the NRL stamp down on back ending and front loading and just went "Okay, we'll give every club a few years to get their salary cap shit together, but as of 2027, if you sign a player for 5 years for $5m, he's getting $1m per year."

The NRL has already cracked down on back-ended contracts. They are a thing of the past, which is probably why Des has got another gig 🤣

will there be another signing ? no doubt we'll be copying blueprint of Panthers & Broncos. Bringing threw our development pathway players Zyon Maiu’u, Laban, Halasima & Going will probably take those last 4 spots
Somewhat doubt another signing. Could be wrong but I think it's more about rewarding those home grown into the top 30 than losing them. If you class an upgraded contract from NSW Cup to top 30 then we will see what is 3 or 4 signings over the coming weeks, so youbwill be right about bringing through our pathway talent

My only potential outside signing from upgrades is hopefully from a current kiwis forward who becomes "home sick" getting a taste of the NZ culture and training at our facilities and determination fron what they have seen us produce this year.

Rule out a player swap anywhere too because Curran was that oppurtunity, which means more than likely as stated by George, Webby trusts those currently in NSW cup that have shown capabities to get upgraded

P.s i always get proved wrong... and that is not a bad thing haha but everyone free on the market for next year.. not really worth it, theres a reason they still be looking for a club

Last edited:
I dunno, we should have been fine salary cap wise for next year, but with Williame and Curran now gone we probably have an extra 600k there.
Why would we allow him to leave...we had 3 spots in the cap to promote young guys which they said was the reason Curran was moved on.
I think we've got someone to be announced soon
That's true. I'm just spitting off of who is without a team for next year, so unless there's someone ready to break there current contract and seek a release or an englishman from super league (which i'd love) i just dont see it happening.

Currans a big loss yeah, but the cap talk could be to help free up space for a big play at someone November 1st even though he'd never be in the picture knowing he would be released, but we done right and gave him the heads up he wont be resigned

So i think any announcement be most likely upgrades. 2nd most likely a big name for 2025, and 3rd likely, a current kiwis player willing to try for an early release or an englishman.

By all means, you could be right a signing could be imminent, but based off of who's without a club, prepare yourself for a Raymond Faitala-Mariner and not a James Fisher-Harris.

Though, this is NRL and what the fucks a contract mean anyway these days 😂

***edit ab giving Curran the heads up to seek a contract elsewhere

That's true. I'm just spitting off of who is without a team for next year, so unless there's someone ready to break there current contract and seek a release or an englishman from super league (which i'd love) i just dont see it happening.

Currans a big loss yeah, but the cap talk could be to help free up space for a big play at someone November 1st even though he'd never be in the picture knowing he would be released, but we done right and gave him the heads up he wont be resigned

So i think any announcement be most likely upgrades. 2nd most likely a big name for 2025, and 3rd likely, a current kiwis player willing to try for an early release or an englishman.

By all means, you could be right a signing could be imminent, but based off of who's without a club, prepare yourself for a Raymond Faitala-Mariner and not a James Fisher-Harris.

Though, this is NRL and what the fucks a contract mean anyway these days 😂

***edit ab giving Curran the heads up to seek a contract elsewhere
Leo Thompson ?

Leo Thompson would be a great addition then add his brother aswell

While Leo is young and quite promising, looking at his stats for the last two years he hasn't been suuuuper impressive.
For example Ales stats this year we're way better than Thompson's first year last year, and Ale isn't even really an out an out prop. We have Zyon Maiu’u who has big wraps on him too, so I really think between those two we'll get a top forward.

Given that he's just made Kiwis too, Thompson will likely be looking at 4-500k for his next contract. I'd rather sign Ale and Zyon Maiu’u who we would probably be able to get for the price of Thompson.

While Leo is young and quite promising, looking at his stats for the last two years he hasn't been suuuuper impressive.
For example Ales stats this year we're way better than Thompson's first year last year, and Ale isn't even really an out an out prop. We have Zyon Maiu’u who has big wraps on him too, so I really think between those two we'll get a top forward.

Given that he's just made Kiwis too, Thompson will likely be looking at 4-500k for his next contract. I'd rather sign Ale and Zyon Maiu’u who we would probably be able to get for the price of Thompson.
Knights are on the lookout for props too. Wouldn’t think there’s much chance they let him go early.

Tooks always respect your opinion my man.

Between Ale and Zyon Maiu’u rotating game time in the top grade, are we still searching for another go forward prop or in the juniors we trust ?

Of course if a big body presented himself on the market that’s a different story

Just trying to gage how desperate are we ?

Tooks always respect your opinion my man.

Between Ale and Zyon Maiu’u rotating game time in the top grade, are we still searching for another go forward prop or in the juniors we trust ?

Of course if a big body presented himself on the market that’s a different story

Just trying to gage how desperate are we ?

The way I see it, nek year as it stands we probably look like:

AFB
Egan
Barnett
Ford
Niukore
Tohu

Walker
Jazz

And then 2 of:
CHT
Ale
Bunty
Sifakula
Zyon Maiu’u

It does feel to me that were one more consistent first grade prop away from really making a push for a premiership in 2023.
It's hard - do we throw all our eggs in the one basket and try to get a 600k prop over for next year to make a charge? Likely SJ and Tohu's last year, and with a lot more experience from this year and Roger, CHT and a big prop, we could really go close next year.

With all the promise of our youngsters, were still probably 3 years away from seeing the best of players like Metcalf, Volkman, Berry, Sifakula, Zyon Maiu’u ect so I think we need to go hard and get a 120m + big bopper with an offload and decent defence.

Braden Hamlin-Uele, Taniela Paseka or Tof Sipley would be my best bets for around that 4-600k mark, not sure we could get any of them for nek year tho

Braden Hamlin-Uele
Not sure if it’s just that article talking about him being ideal but something feels like there could be a possibility here. There was some noise last year around the time Isaac Liu was a rumour but BHU quickly shut it down. Sharks fans recognise that that heavy in middle forwards and coming off injury they might see him as someone surplus to requirements with Royce Hunt filling a similar role. It shouldn’t be a hard sell for any prop seeing what Webster is getting out of AFB and a kiwi born player bringing the Warriors their maiden premiership should be massive incentive. Something has always seemed to me that we know who our target is and are waiting for something, whether that be November. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

The way I see it, nek year as it stands we probably look like:

AFB
Egan
Barnett
Ford
Niukore
Tohu

Walker
Jazz

And then 2 of:
CHT
Ale
Bunty
Sifakula
Zyon Maiu’u

It does feel to me that were one more consistent first grade prop away from really making a push for a premiership in 2023.
It's hard - do we throw all our eggs in the one basket and try to get a 600k prop over for next year to make a charge? Likely SJ and Tohu's last year, and with a lot more experience from this year and Roger, CHT and a big prop, we could really go close next year.

With all the promise of our youngsters, were still probably 3 years away from seeing the best of players like Metcalf, Volkman, Berry, Sifakula, Zyon Maiu’u ect so I think we need to go hard and get a 120m + big bopper with an offload and decent defence.

Braden Hamlin-Uele, Taniela Paseka or Tof Sipley would be my best bets for around that 4-600k mark, not sure we could get any of them for nek year tho
Manly have apparently signed Nathan Brown and Corey Waddell 2 middles. Might free up Paseka or Toff Sipley

Back