New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. Samoa
  2. NZ Maori
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanel_Harris-Tavita
Chanel training with Kai Kara France and Jazz this morning.

Funnily enough, this is the same face I make when people say he will be playing 13:
IMG_0679.jpg

McFadden did also mention Chanel when listing off halves the other day on SENZ, and he is clearly not the 10-kilos bigger or whatever the rumour was when it was announced he was coming back.

I would like a market for who will play starting 6 the most this year, I'd be putting my money on CHT.

Funnily enough, this is the same face I make when people say he will be playing 13:
View attachment 4283

McFadden did also mention Chanel when listing off halves the other day on SENZ, and he is clearly not the 10-kilos bigger or whatever the rumour was when it was announced he was coming back.

I would like a market for who will play starting 6 the most this year, I'd be putting my money on CHT.
I hope the 6 jumper goes to Metcalfe, we can see the huge asset that speed/acceleration brings to your attack. I like CHT, if he makes the starting side it will be because he has earnt the right. To have competition for key positions is refreshing, I actually feel (based on 2022) that CHT would be better suited to the 14 position, again competition across positions (Walker v CHT, Metcalfe v CHT) is exciting. I hope CHT has been an astute signing, has the makings to go either way for me, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

View attachment 4283

I know he has some flaws as a half which people rightly point out, but I just love this dude and the way he plays.

I hope he can crack the starting side if form permits, one of my favourite Warriors.

Be interesting how he goes. I do not think he is that bad. Next year he will be behind a better forward pack than he has had before. He also will have a hooker who is in career best form so he will have more time than he is use to. I was looking at his highlights and he has a nice left foot side step and he hits like a truck when he tackles. I always enjoy seeing his 2021 tackle on Brandon Smith. Lets see if Webster can weave his magic as CHT in career best form would be scary for opposition teams.

Be interesting how he goes. I do not think he is that bad. Next year he will be behind a better forward pack than he has had before. He also will have a hooker who is in career best form so he will have more time than he is use to. I was looking at his highlights and he has a nice left foot side step and he hits like a truck when he tackles. I always enjoy seeing his 2021 tackle on Brandon Smith. Lets see if Webster can weave his magic as CHT in career best form would be scary for opposition teams.
For him to attain career best wouldn't hard tbf.
Career wise , not potential wise

Fair call but he has only played 54 FG games and had 4 coaches in that time. I do not believe he will ever be a Cronk or SJ but with a better coaching structure and a more stable club who knows.
What I'm saying is I think career best is highly attainable given his 54 games for us haven't been amazing , I think he is a good player, like pompey and dwz , career best last year, playing under Webby gets results , so players go better

More Walker than Sironen though, as CHT could cover any of 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 or 13 if required and wouldn't look out of place, similar to Walker. Whereas Sironen was more a 9, 11, 12, 13 cover - which you'd get out of Jazz if you had CHT on the bench covering 9 (with Jazz to play middle and Barnett/Tohu to be 2nd row cover if required).

The below is of course if they aren't pushing CHT into the halves. I'd have thought they are more inclined to focus on Metcalf and TMM there. Alternatively, they could be moulding CHT into the 7 to take over SJ (and partner Metcalf/TMM) as insurance if Volkman doesn't kick on - but I like CHT in the Mr Fix-it role given we already have four NRL quality halves.

Given our second rowers can generally play 80 (and half our prop candidates are formed second rowers - a la, Barnett, Niukore, Sifakula and to some extent Ale), I think we can play both Walker and Jazz on the bench with CHT. Our squad is quite versatile, with a number of the team being able to play multiple positions (some more capably than others). A bench of CHT, Jazz, Walker and a prop (e.g., Barnett/Ale/Bunty) seems better balanced than some of our ones with Curran from this season (where he played low minutes a lot) - with the only downside being that it is quite a small bench. However, we all know we're a big bopper short and Webby plays a mobile pack.

I'd consider starting CHT at 9 for the first 20 and then Egan comes on for the rest of the game (with CHT then being injury cover). Depending on how the game is going / the opposition, Webby brings on Walker and either Jazz or the prop after 15-25 mins, and then Tohu gets a break either side of half-time courtesy of the bench prop / Jazz. Backline injuries are covered by CHT (or TMM), with our centres pushing to wing if a winger is injured - and then this frees up Metcalf to play 6, and bring some speed and support play to our line up (I would have said TMM will get the first crack at the 6 jumper, but it sounds like his leg might not be quite right, and if Metcalf he commits to us, it'll be on the back of his hammy recovering well and him getting promised a proper crack at 6).

Good problems to have!

It is hard to asses CHT's previous stint here and then where he'd fit in.

He got pushed into a position he wasn't ready for when Johnson left. Nokorima although experienced wasn't a lot of help to CHT in terms of getting the team around the field. Add to that the club wasn't stable during his last stint here with changing coaches and being stuck in Australia. The balance of the squad could also have been better.

Overall I'm probably higher on the other half options in terms of partnering Johnson. Replacing Johnson long term I'd have him higher in the debate.

Compared to the other options to partner Johnson I'd be more comfortable with his defence and he probably provides the best secondary kicking option, especially for field position.

As a half he could look a lot better now under Webster as there was reports or comments this year from players who have played under Webster saying how he likes to get structure around his halves and works with them a lot. CHT's last stint his main issue for me was his ball playing. We would struggle for points. The structures around him and the extra focus from the coach could fix this issue.

His goal kicking will be great to have available.