Warriors Years Active
  1. 2023
  2. 2024
Signed From
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Metcalf
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2023/round-13/warriors-vs-brisbane/summary.html
NameLuke Metcalf
Born01 March 1999 (Coffs Harbour, New South Wales)
Height183cm
Weight86kg
PositionFive Eighth, Fullback, Halfback
Warriors Player Number#281
Warriors DebutRound 13 vs. Brisbane Broncos, 27 May 2023
Warriors Career2023-
Representative-
Junior ClubOrara Valley Tomahawks
Previous ClubCronulla-Sutherland Sharks
NRL DebutRound 17 vs. New Zealand Warriors, 11 July 2021 (Cronulla Sutherland-Sharks)

Luke Metcalf (born 1 March 1999) is an Australian professional rugby league footballer who plays as a five-eighth for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League (NRL).

He previously played for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in the NRL.

Metcalf played his junior rugby league with Orara Valley Tomahawks.

In round 20 of the 2021 NRL season, Metcalf made his debut for Cronulla against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in the "Battle of the beaches" game which ended in a 22-40 defeat. In round 23 against the Wests Tigers, Metcalf scored two tries for Cronulla in a 50-20 victory. On 15 November 2021, the New Zealand Warriors announced they had signed Metcalf on a two-year deal commencing in 2023. Metcalf made only one appearance for Cronulla in the 2022 NRL season in round 25 against Newcastle scoring a try during the 38-16 victory.

In round 13 of the 2023 NRL season, Metcalf made his club debut in the 22-26 loss against the Brisbane Broncos. In round 19 of the 2023 NRL season, Metcalf scored two tries for New Zealand in their 46-10 victory over an understrength Parramatta side. Metcalf played 12 games for the New Zealand Warriors in the 2023 NRL season as the club finished 4th on the table and qualified for the finals.

Signing formalities were completed for the Cronulla-Sutherland rookie as long ago as November 2021 before he linked up with the One New Zealand Warriors on a two-year contract.

His NRL debut was against his former club Manly Warringah in round 2021 when he came into the Cronulla squad after Shaun Johnson was ruled out for the last six rounds of the regular season.

Metcalf’s second appearance was against the One New Zealand Warriors, when he was used off the interchange for only the last three minutes of a contest his side lost 16-18.

In his fourth game, he was a standout scoring two tries, creating another and making 124 metres in Cronulla’s 50-20 win over the Wests Tigers.

After coming through the age grades with the Sharks, Metcalf was with Manly Warringah in 2018, 2019 and 2020 before returning to Cronulla this year.

An ACL knee injury ruined his 2019 season before he returned to represent Manly at the NRL Nines in Perth only to then be reduced to spending the Covid-impacted 2020 campaign in a training-only role.

Throughout his career Metcalf has stood out as a strike weapon. Able to play at fullback as well as in the halves, he represented New South Wales at both under-16 and under-18 level during an outstanding junior career which included him scoring 19 tries and kicking 61 goals in just 21 games for Cronulla’s SG Ball Cup under-18 side in 2016 and 2017. In all games at all levels from under-16s up he has a total of 63 tries in 89 matches.

Metcalf was a standout for the One New Zealand Warriors in their 48-12 trial win over Wests Tigers on February 9 but a hamstring injury the following week was set to delay his start to the season proper.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 8.58.27 PM.png

Screenshot from official Warriors site of Luke Metcalf bio as of 16/10/23...

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't like him. Windy on defence. Greedy on attack. Lazy chaser.

Then vs Manly in late round he stood his ground and got run over by that massive brute of a 2nd rower and I can't spell his name properly but think it's Olakau'atu.

He got trampled. But it meant others could get there to help. I like him now. Then his hamstrings announced themselves as important issues.

Though I like him, I think he should be on the wing.

Didn't like him. Windy on defence. Greedy on attack. Lazy chaser.

Then vs Manly in late round he stood his ground and got run over by that massive brute of a 2nd rower and I can't spell his name properly but think it's Olakau'atu.

He got trampled. But it meant others could get there to help. I like him now. Then his hamstrings announced themselves as important issues.

Though I like him, I think he should be on the wing.
Could be right, can't see his defence ending well on the wing but at least he could chase them down, and if he gets in the clear himself shut the gate. Doubt he'd be happy being pushed out to wing though.

183cm, 86kg on the wing? No thanks.

1985 called and they want their winger back.
Defensively he'd get belted around at five eighth a la Ponga. Yeah a bigger winger could put jump him but I still like my point 😁. Though yours is solid in the current game