Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Hard to see how we'd be over the cap. I guess players like Volkman and Metcalf didn't come here on peanuts, and as the 3rd and 4th halves in your squad you generally aren't paying much

I also heard that Berry was on a bit of coin, considering before his last 10 games he struggled with consistency. Not crazy money but probably 150k or so more than you'd expect to for a centre with less than 30 games in FG.

Also, for sure we wouldn't be paying any freight for Curran as quite a few teams would be keen on him.

I wonder about timing - generally you don't let someone go who you're happy to keep, unless there's a specific reason to do so. Were not in any drama with the cap for nek year imo, so I'm guessing we'll get word of a signing within the next 3 or 4 days

I wish Curran all the best. He's been a solid performer for the warriors, I just don't think he can hold down a starting spot. A good buy for the dogs but not a huge loss for the warriors.

I think leka is progressing fast enough to make a debut next year. It's just that old age question of is it too early for an 18 year old week in week out at nrl level? There for the club is losing an experienced campaigner. I would hope he finishes out his contract.

Hard to see how we'd be over the cap. I guess players like Volkman and Metcalf didn't come here on peanuts, and as the 3rd and 4th halves in your squad you generally aren't paying much

I also heard that Berry was on a bit of coin, considering before his last 10 games he struggled with consistency. Not crazy money but probably 150k or so more than you'd expect to for a centre with less than 30 games in FG.

Also, for sure we wouldn't be paying any freight for Curran as quite a few teams would be keen on him.

I wonder about timing - generally you don't let someone go who you're happy to keep, unless there's a specific reason to do so. Were not in any drama with the cap for nek year imo, so I'm guessing we'll get word of a signing within the next 3 or 4 days
Josh Addo-Carr could make a shock immediate switch from the Bulldogs to arch-rivals Parramatta if the star winger is released from Canterbury.
It comes after the Bulldogs landed Warriors forward Josh Curran for next season.
This masthead can reveal Parramatta have expressed interest in signing Addo-Carr immediately if the Bulldogs agree to release him from his contract.
Parramatta would have to release a player to make the deal happen.

I’ve noticed how this has come out since Curran shifting on has become official and wonder if there could be multiple clubs involved? Eels want a swap for JAC but I wonder if there’s potential of someone from from the eels coming to us? Someone like Paulo would be good and JAC goes to eels, with someone like RFM who I’m sure the bulldogs are trying to get rid of.

That sounds like a pipe dream but if we got Paulo fucking watch out!

Unfortunately yes.

Parramatta Eels float Ryan Matterson-Josh Addo-Carr player swap
Ryan Matterson has been floated as a potential swap option for Josh Addo-Carr as the Eels consider making a play for the speedster.
Informal talks have involved a potential player swap of Matterson to join Canterbury with Addo-Carr’s future at the Bulldogs now in question.
The Eels are desperately looking to add some much needed speed to their backline and will consider making an offer for Addo-Carr should he come onto the market.
Parramatta would need to lose a player if that were to happen. Eels officials said on Wednesday that they were not actively shopping Matterson, believing the former NSW Origin forward still had a number of good years in front of him.
Matterson still has three more years left on his current deal including a player option for 2026.

This was an article that came out today that CG mentioned Curran could be here next year, but if not they’re happy where they’re at. Looking on the bulldogs forum it’s next year onwards, would assume they’ve taken over his contract and we’re not contributing with his release? Hopefully the fact we’ve been prepared to let him walk indicates we could have secured someone? Also a new cooling off period of 10 days.
Well that article suggests there is no cap pressure and they just want to bring on some young guys- it does free up some cap and a spot in the 30 though.
I'm just not sure who the cap trouble talk is coming from and if they would have any idea anyway.

Well that article suggests there is no cap pressure and they just want to bring on some young guys- it does free up some cap and a spot in the 30 though.
I'm just not sure who the cap trouble talk is coming from and if they would have any idea anyway.

I don’t think there is salary cap pressure, although like most clubs our cap would be pretty tight. The likes of Walker, Niukore, Barnett and CNK would have come over on good coin and we’ve signed RTS.

I like Curran but like Katoa before him, his output is less than what we anticipated when we resigned him.

Backrow is easily our most stacked area in terms of young talent and a interchange backrower is more expendable than most/

I did see a brief article a couple of weeks back (probably about 40 pages back now) when the Curran move was initially floated, was a small speculative type article that suggested 'possible cap pressure' being the reason Curran was being shopped… but yeah I can't see how, unless we really did pay overs for all the new imports and they want to upgrade a few. I mean we aren't STILL paying out Lodge are we eh?

Feels like they must have a middle in their sights and are clearing the decks. 🤞

He could find himself a victim of the salary cap, as the Warriors have a number of young forwards they will be looking to bring into first grade on cheaper rookie deals and off the back of their successful season, a marquee signing addition to the pack is not out of the question either.

This was apart of a herald article on 11th October, so there’s been mixed reports of salary cap pressures but George confirmed that it’s nothing to do with salary cap pressures in the article you responded to. Most interesting though is the marquee addition to the pack not out of the question bit.

I like Josh Curran but he's not a game breaker and I think we can get similar output out of a guy like Kalani Going for less coin. There will something brewing behind the scenes for sure.
i am going purely based on the eye test here and not stats or anything but i felt he either had a huge impact on the game (think the sharks at shark park and first dolphins game where he played center was it?) or he was invisible.

we also have the right coaching staff to be able to develop these juniors now.

unless we really did pay overs for all the new imports
did anyone try doing a summation of all the warriors contracts that were reported in the top NRL 100 list last year?

84​
Shaun Johnson
$600,000​
62​
Dylan Walker
$700,000​
39​
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
$800,000​
29​
Marata Niukore
$840,000​
15​
Tohu Harris
$950,000​
9​
Addin Fonua-Blake
$1,050,000​
6 players taking up nearly 5m. Roger would be included in that list next year too. So essentially 7 players in top 100 n 2024. Anyone want to guess the rest of the 24 players contracts taking up the remaining 7.1m in 2023 (lets pretend for a second here that our club didnt pay out Lodge 700k for nothing either...).?

did anyone try doing a summation of all the warriors contracts that were reported in the top NRL 100 list last year?

84​
Shaun Johnson
$600,000​
62​
Dylan Walker
$700,000​
39​
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
$800,000​
29​
Marata Niukore
$840,000​
15​
Tohu Harris
$950,000​
9​
Addin Fonua-Blake
$1,050,000​
6 players taking up nearly 5m. Roger would be included in that list next year too. So essentially 7 players in top 100 n 2024. Anyone want to guess the rest of the 24 players contracts taking up the remaining 7.1m in 2023 (lets pretend for a second here that our club didnt pay out Lodge 700k for nothing either...).?
Those are all just guesses anyway.

84​
Shaun Johnson
$600,000​
62​
Dylan Walker
$700,000​
39​
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
$800,000​
29​
Marata Niukore
$840,000​
15​
Tohu Harris
$950,000​
9​
Addin Fonua-Blake
$1,050,000​
Were the bulldogs still paying a chunk of Dwz"s contract last year?

Winds me up every time I see Tacklezero's $800k contract for DWZ. That was his deal at the dogs (signed to play fullback), which they paid around half to get rid of him. He's off their books now, and 100% would be on a far smaller deal to play wing for us. I would imagine $400kish.

A real shame to see Curran gone, but I think it's the nest thing for him and us. He's clearly not in the clubs future, we have many juniors coming through in the next couple years, as well as Barnett, Niuokre and Ford in front of him right now.

I think we'll see Going get a min deal, a couple others promoted and a mid forward signing.

brendan299
21 minutes ago
#5,211
So a family friend told me the story about Curran.

Apparently we were interested in him but once we re-signed Koala we couldnt afford him. He was a backup option in case we couldnt re sign Koala.

Apparently Bennett wanted him at the Dolphins but the coach in waiting Woolf only wanted him on a 1 year deal.
Dragons offered him big cash but he didnt want to go there due to them being a basket case

Off the rabbits forum.

If you look at the season as a whole you have to wonder if there is more to it. Arrested, charged in the off season

Started the season in Reserve Grade. Given chances via injury & suspension in the back row.

By the end of the season he was a bit part bench player. Underutilized in my eyes but that's what happened.

He is a good player but totally replaceable. Wish him luck at the Dogs

I don’t think there is salary cap pressure, although like most clubs our cap would be pretty tight. The likes of Walker, Niukore, Barnett and CNK would have come over on good coin and we’ve signed RTS.

I like Curran but like Katoa before him, his output is less than what we anticipated when we resigned him.

Backrow is easily our most stacked area in terms of young talent and a interchange backrower is more expendable than most/
What do you think CNK would be on? I think he was on $500K at Canberra and was in reserve grade. The contract was due to run until the end of 2023. Surely, there would not have been a need to sign him for more?