14 B.Trindall J.Tevaga 13
15 S.Talakai L.Ah Mau 15
16 J.Williams B.Afoa 16
17 B.Hamln-Uele B.Murdoch-Masila 17
19 M.Hiroti A.Pompey 18
21 L.Metcalf J.Murchie 20

Billyspleen75

Billyspleen75

I'm hoping someone can school me on this because I see this scenario often and I'm not all up on the strategy involved.
Is there a material difference between the below forward packs/bench? And do both benches require an extra back/hooker?

My assumption is that team A wouldn't have people calling for an extra hooker/back on the bench.
Team B that was named today has people asking for the hooker/back as the bench appears to be only big forwards.
But the only difference I see between Team A and todays naming is that Jazz will start his 60 odd mins on the field rather than the bench.

TEAM A
8 ADDIN FONUA-BLAKE
9 WAYDE EGAN
10 MATT LODGE
11 ELIESA KATOA
12 BAYLEY SIRONEN
13 BUNTY AFOA
Interchange:
14 JAZZ TEVAGA
15 LEESON AH MAU
16 KANE EVANS
17 BEN MURDOCH-MASILA

TEAM B
8 ADDIN FONUA-BLAKE
9 WAYDE EGAN
10 MATT LODGE
11 ELIESA KATOA
12 BAYLEY SIRONEN
13 JAZZ TEVAGA
Interchange:
14 KANE EVANS
15 LEESON AH MAU
16 BUNTY AFOA
17 BEN MURDOCH-MASILA

Reactions: 1 user
jonesy101

jonesy101

Usually by team naming tuesday I am ready to believe again, this week I am not there yet, either I am getting smarter or I just need another day or so to get over that debacle.

Surely a back comes onto the bench or does Bayley provide the cover?
I think Kosi would in the extended squad as injury cover for Walsh, in which case Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would move to fullback. Pompey would be in the extended squad as injury cover for Berry. Unlikely to see either of them on the bench. Don't remember seeing a back on the bench since the Kearney era when Beale was getting a few minutes at the end of each game.

Not sure of the chances of Otukolo coming on to the bench to give Egan a spell. Pretty unlikely.

Greatest likelihood would be to see Murchie promoted who can cover centre at a pinch.

Reactions: 1 users

KiwiinJapan

At least the game is on Sunday, so won’t ruin the weekend. Team looks good again on paper, but all the changes are enough to make your head spin.

Reactions: 10 users
Ref

Ref

Berry vs Montoya, both playing for a spot in the Centre‘s next week beside Aitken. Looks like Pompey has slipped down in the pecking order.
Pompey was playing well earlier on and he hasn't been bad lately and I don't think things have fallen much his way on attack or from the distribution inside him.
I still like him and you could play any centre combo of him, Montoya and Berry this week and they'd be decent.
Berry looks the goods though and it certainly is an audition for next week.

Reactions: 7 users
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Why do we not get injury reports anymore? The club hasn't connected with the fans over this info for a long time now.

Surely they have a diagnosis on Chad's shoulder. I'd like to know whether the damage on Tohu Harris extends much beyond the head knock. Brown seemed to allude to some injuries being quite serious in the presser.

For me our season hinges on Townsend lacing up in the halves. I'm not a huge fan, but he gives us what we need to compete properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

sydneywarrior92

If we don't get the wobblies in this game (a big IF), I feel like our pack should eat theirs. The rest is up to Walsh and Niko.

Reactions: 4 users
jmb_31

jmb_31

Good, he's a slug compared to Monty, Berry has a higher ceiling. Good depth player though.
I don't see him as having a high ceiling and he doesn't have enough x factor for the backline. He's one of those players that you can put in and will do their job but won't be a game breaker

Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Pompey, got high hopes for Berry
Agreed he's impressed me for a kid who's hardly played any league, in that trial he looked as lost as Kosi. These rookies have been thrown in the deep end this year dues to our injury situation, it's been sink or swim, Browny's pretty brutal. Total opposite to Mooks' ultra-conservatism, mind you we're no further ahead on the ladder but at least it's entertaining.

Last edited:
  • Haha
jmb_31

jmb_31

Agreed he's impressed me for a kid who's hardly played any league, in that trial he looked as lost as Kosi. These rookies have been thrown in the deep end this year dues to our injury situation, it's been sink or swim, Browny's pretty brutal.
He's got the rugby tackling style which is making him useful in 1v1's just needs to bulk up a bit and grow into his height. Yeah it'll make or break players, I hope for Kosi's sake it hasn't fucked his career before its even started.

Reactions: 2 users