Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
Yeah looks like when SJ went off and he did his lap of honour they started playing with 12. Not sure when they realised and if they put someone on later

Yea a few tackles maybe, that happens. Him leaving the opposite side of the field may have caused some confusion

Find it hard to believe none of the staff would notice it for 5 mins

Yea a few tackles maybe, that happens. Him leaving the opposite side of the field may have caused some confusion

Find it hard to believe none of the staff would notice it for 5 mins
Article is a bit confusing. Says they were playing with 12 players with "5 mins to go", not for 5 mins.

Probably Webster lifting the curse of the Warriors extra replacement which cost us a finals appearance in 1995.

You have to laugh though, it is a massive balls up and amateur hour stuff, it just shows how much pressure these coaches have been under that not one out of three figured it out.

This is a mistake that they would never make in a regular season game.

Better that it happens now and not this weekend. These coaches of ours clearly need better sleep this week, they probably will though, after a win like that, the stress levels will be way down.

Key takeaways from this have to include Tohu having an emergency signal to the water boy who then can phone it into the Coaches box.

You can imagine the panic when Shaun put on some late runs last night and the box going off with "wtf is he doing?? get him off!"....followed by massive sighs and where did I put my keys type mind blanking....

Reactions: j_p
No way was that a mistake. Webby knew the game was in the bag and wanted to stress test a man down scenarios to see how we react.

Great coaching, he had a snuggle about it in the presser and I’m pretty sure Tohu was in on it because his answer was as a little tongue in cheek.

On a side note - Webby and Tohu have some kind of relationship man, I wish my wife looked at me the way Tohu looks at Webby.

No way was that a mistake. Webby knew the game was in the bag and wanted to stress test a man down scenarios to see how we react.

Great coaching, he had a snuggle about it in the presser and I’m pretty sure Tohu was in on it because his answer was as a little tongue in cheek.

On a side note - Webby and Tohu have some kind of relationship man, I wish my wife looked at me the way Tohu looks at Webby.
😂

Probably Webster lifting the curse of the Warriors extra replacement which cost us a finals appearance in 1995.

You have to laugh though, it is a massive balls up and amateur hour stuff, it just shows how much pressure these coaches have been under that not one out of three figured it out.

This is a mistake that they would never make in a regular season game.

Better that it happens now and not this weekend. These coaches of ours clearly need better sleep this week, they probably will though, after a win like that, the stress levels will be way down.

Key takeaways from this have to include Tohu having an emergency signal to the water boy who then can phone it into the Coaches box.

You can imagine the panic when Shaun put on some late runs last night and the box going off with "wtf is he doing?? get him off!"....followed by massive sighs and where did I put my keys type mind blanking....
Edit: The article I was referring to was 1 I read earlier where it said they played 1 man down WITH 5 to go?
This is obviously a different article.

I think that article is a bit confusing/misleading. It says they were playing with 12 men WITH 5 minutes to go, not FOR 5 mins which a lot of us initially took it as. From a comment on here it seems they played with 12 men for about 30-40 secs while Johnson walked along the sideline as he went off on the wrong side of the field. Apparently this isn't too out of the ordinary per that poster (not sure if they meant going off on the wrong side of the field or playing 1 player down for a short amount of time?).
Also probably not so consequential being 1 player down on attack.

Just my understanding of this situation from piecing it all together so happy to be corrected.

Gotta give some credit to Richard and Stacey, too!

New Zealand Sports Awards winner for best coach, surely!

Dally M, too. Even if Ivan gets tree from tree or Kevvie wins a GF.

He's, eh, not too tacky on the coaching front, that Webby guy...
Great coaching team - and can’t forget Morgs and Cappy. Happy team all know their job.

‘Didn’t like taking his washing home’: A decade of working with Webby

Crammed next to each other in a dingy office with patchy internet, next to the long retired canteen in Concord Oval’s western grandstand, Balin Cupples and Andrew Webster form an unlikely duo.

It’s 2012 and in the organisational pyramid at the Wests Tigers, Webster – an assistant coach with the U-20 side – is technically the senior figure in the room.

But Cupples is quick to tell you his office mate, who at the time was a 30-year-old bachelor just back from a stint working in England, was yet to fully embrace the idea of domestic living.

“He didn’t like taking his washing home, put it that way,” Cupples tells NRL.com with a chuckle.

"I had a wife and child, so I was really structured with packed lunches and clean laundry. He was less so."

“I was physical performance pathways manager and his defensive assistant. I tried to keep the place smelling nice also.

“It was great fun though and there was lots of time where we’d just sit and talk footy… his footy IQ even back then was well beyond his years.”

A decade on from crossing paths as fledgling players in the Wests Tigers junior system, the pair were reunited at the joint venture and began what has become a long and fruitful working relationship and friendship.

Webster graduated to be the head coach of the U-20 side in 2014 – leading a team that included current Warriors five-eighth Te Maire Martin – before moving to the Warriors the following year and lobbying for Cupples to be considered for the vacant head of athletic performance there, a position he got and held for the next four seasons.

Both men ended up departing eventually, with Webster moving back to the Wests Tigers and then on to the Penrith Panthers and Cupples having a stint at the Knights, before returning to the Warriors as head of performance in 2022.

Needless to say he was over the moon when he found out in the middle of last season that his old mate would be returning to the club as head coach, even though it led to his office being moved to the downstairs gym at Go Media Stadium, triggering memories of the Concord experience all over again.

“He’s put us in a little glass box,” Cupples jokes.

“But to all come back together now and do what we are doing at the club, it’s really rewarding and exciting.

“If I haven’t been working with Webby I’ve always been touching base with him and looking for his opinion on stuff.

“I was really excited for him and the success he had at the Panthers and to see him get the head role here was great.

“He hasn’t changed that much. He’s a charmer, he communicates well and connects with everybody.

“He was probably a bit more of a larrikin back then, but there’s still a bit of that in him now.”

The pair’s strong working relationship can’t be overlooked when considering the factors involved in the Warriors’ remarkable transformation this year, which has them facing the Broncos this Saturday night for a spot in the grand final.

CEO Cameron George said bringing the pair back into the fold, along with former head coach Andrew McFadden who is now the general manager of recruitment, development and pathways, has delivered value across the board.

“Having those guys here at the club that have prior experience with us, they knew what they were walking into,” George says.

“They had experiences when they left and have come back with more capability.

"Both Andrew and Balin are terrific people. Quite often you see them talking and you can tell they are very connected."

“They rely heavily on each other and are certainly very close in their working approach and are doing an outstanding job.”

I was gonna go digging for this thread but the real fans found it first.

Just want to say thanks to our coach even tho that is silly because he will never read it.

I also want to thank our fans for one of the best years of my life. Everything was good this year with family and life and general and along came these Warriors and took my year to a whole other level.

I know we got carved up tonight.

But All I am interested in is how we carved them up and were throwing punches at the last minute of the game.

I can see on a level playing field that we will beat these sides next year injury willing.

You can just see how our team has a genuine threat factor now and how we can score trys at will when the Ref allows us fair ball.

You know our last great rebuild year we got knocked out of the finals week one off a fifty point hiding by the Eels.

This team is way ahead of that.

We are gonna win more than we lose next season and if we finish top four as I am expecting then it will be better than Clearys era.

Back