Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
I think it would be smart by the club when we have a settled team to try build some of these kids up. Of course the club may need to be ready to make a play for a halfback or Tohu's replacement if they decide to hang up.

Splashing cash in depth positions is risky business when this team is already showing a lot of growth.
You raise a good point - you will need to make sure the team has experienced players and young guys are slowly introduced to first grade. It’s certainly a balancing act bringing in youth whilst still needing to field a competitive side expected to win.
We will have alot of money to spend for the 25 season and I’d be surprised if we didn’t use it on a couple of experienced / proven players

You raise a good point - you will need to make sure the team has experienced players and young guys are slowly introduced to first grade. It’s certainly a balancing act bringing in youth whilst still needing to field a competitive side expected to win.
We will have alot of money to spend for the 25 season and I’d be surprised if we didn’t use it on a couple of experienced / proven players
Yeah and going to the market for 2025, the club should be able to bring in some experienced pros, one or 2 perhaps.

He wanted out of his Tigers contract tho eh and it shows, just watch ICE at marker, he hides where he does not have to work and then he goes out by the wing for rests.

He has become a terrible player.
Poor management motivation by coaches?

Poor management motivation by coaches?

Honestly I think it's Ice as a player.
The most meters he had made in 4 years with the Warriors was 135m in a game. Do you know how many times he beat in his first year with the Eels? 17 lol.
That was because he had to be motivated...he left us on a minimal contract and had no other option of he wanted to continue to be an NRL player. Smashed it the next year too as it was contract year. Got the big contract with Tigers and then turned soft again.

Not the kinda guy we need at the Warriors. Certainly not the guy I would be replacing Ford with. Ford has the mentality and drive I want to see from players in our team, not someone who hides on the field

As you mentioned about Fords crash plays, he’s been admirable but I think a player like Riki sends us to another level with the threat he poses.
Agree that Riki would be next level on that side and running a tough line

I like Ford and although his crash play usually doesn’t end up being a try, Im interested in the next play after Ford plays the ball, has that created space and points ?

Honestly I think it's Ice as a player.
The most meters he had made in 4 years with the Warriors was 135m in a game. Do you know how many times he beat in his first year with the Eels? 17 lol.
That was because he had to be motivated...he left us on a minimal contract and had no other option of he wanted to continue to be an NRL player. Smashed it the next year too as it was contract year. Got the big contract with Tigers and then turned soft again.

Not the kinda guy we need at the Warriors. Certainly not the guy I would be replacing Ford with. Ford has the mentality and drive I want to see from players in our team, not someone who hides on the field
Definitely used to be on the Ice bandwagon but agree with the comments above and earlier. There are plenty of others who can do the job better without the risk of him coming home on his retirement contract and getting comfortable. Don't get me wrong, awesome player with a high ceiling as he's shown, but downside risk too.

The last player there was a rumour around regarding the Warriors was Micheal Chee Kam, sounds like the rabbitohs are going to re sign him. I agree with you that if anyone comes it’ll likely be a second rower. Not sure if we’d go for a player in later stages of their career in order not to block young guys coming through but I think a player like Laban is a couple of years away but also great prospects like Maia Sands etc coming up. I think we’d take a middle if the right person became available but I’m watching with interest how the broncos can keep Jordan Riki.
Would love a boom second rower i.e Riki. Would love it more if Halasima or Sifukula (unlikely next year) stood up and became that guy.

Been plenty of chat about what happened if AFB was out, who would cover him? that's what we're lacking in our squad for next year IMO.

Also, how do you think our cap is looking for next year?

The last player there was a rumour around regarding the Warriors was Micheal Chee Kam, sounds like the rabbitohs are going to re sign him. I agree with you that if anyone comes it’ll likely be a second rower. Not sure if we’d go for a player in later stages of their career in order not to block young guys coming through but I think a player like Laban is a couple of years away but also great prospects like Maia Sands etc coming up. I think we’d take a middle if the right person became available but I’m watching with interest how the broncos can keep Jordan Riki.

He could be a good replacement for Siro. On another note I grew up with him, was an awesome dude. Great influence on others even as a kid. Real leader type although looking at his career so far not easy to tell

I’d put Ford in the Propping rotation for next year with Curran and Marata in the back row. And then bringing Demetric onto the bench.

I’ve wondered if we make Marata other starting prop with AFB, Barney off bench. That way Curran starts.
Then offer Ford and Curran the same deal… slightly unders and whoever accepts we ride with. I just have a sinking feeling Ford doesn’t have much loyalty to us yet Curran rode out COVID years and is so loved here.

I also rate Curran as having a higher ceiling while Ford has a very high standard (will be consistent his whole career) but not likely to go to the next level (lacks that mongrel or killer edge).

Also, how do you think our cap is looking for next year?
When you consider teams like the broncos, eels, panthers and the likes who are spending decent coin on their spine as well as their forward pack, I can’t see how we haven’t got a bit of coin to spend. Our spine is massive bang for buck. It wouldn’t take much to upgrade someone like Riki who I think is on something like $240k a season, and they have him, Piakura and Capewell can be negotiated with after November.

I'd take him at a reasonable price 100%. Good solid bench prop who can play minutes, always gets through work. Will probably head back to Parra though. We could probably offer a starting spot next to AFB to tempt him.
We would make the promise of upping his scoring rate. Given Barnett, Ford, Jazz, Siro all got tries from close range.

That alone would steal a deal. He's got a huge engine and with our simple game plan to punch it in he would be all across it.

Tigers gonna be an interesting package next year virtually a whole new team. Getting rid of proven performers that have bled for them like Twal, Nof, Brooks, Garner, potentially Blore.

Actually Blore could be a guy we pick up and convert to a fast footed prop. Like AFB.

Reactions: Ref
Warriors will develop from within. The investment has been large already in that area.

Zyon Maiu’u 100% is earmarked to be introduced as a rotation prop in 24/25.

He has been converted from 2nd row and thrust into a full season in NSW cup. And they have built him to perform in a role similar to the Panthers aggressive and robust James Fisher-Harris. You can see the strategy in the Warriors thinking.

Their sizes are similar too with Zyon Maiu’u just a little more raw boned.

James Fisher-Harris - 1.87cm 104 kg
Zyon Maiu’u - 1.84cm 110kg

He will get one of the prop roster positions 100% and you can expect to see him getting game time.

Last edited:
When you consider teams like the broncos, eels, panthers and the likes who are spending decent coin on their spine as well as their forward pack, I can’t see how we haven’t got a bit of coin to spend. Our spine is massive bang for buck. It wouldn’t take much to upgrade someone like Riki who I think is on something like $240k a season, and they have him, Piakura and Capewell can be negotiated with after November.
Broncos forward is almost entirely home grown - except for Kurt Capewell who is still from QLD.

Broncos went from wooden spoon to Top 2 based on debuting a build load of their juniors.

Add in one of two astute signings and they nailed the rebuild formula.

Broncos forward is almost entirely home grown - except for Kurt Capewell who is still from QLD.

Broncos went from wooden spoon to Top 2 based on debuting a build load of their juniors.

Add in one of two astute signings and they nailed the rebuild formula.

What's a realistic time to transition to mainly home grown though? As we had a 3 year hole cut out of our development pipeline, most of our upcoming talent is pretty young, so even by 2026 the locals in the squad will only be early 20's. Will they all be regular 1st graders?

first club NRL debut in orange below, yellow is local junior who left and returned

1695333073472.png

What's a realistic time to transition to mainly home grown though? As we had a 3 year hole cut out of our development pipeline, most of our upcoming talent is pretty young, so even by 2026 the locals in the squad will only be early 20's. Will they all be regular 1st graders?

first club NRL debut in orange below, yellow is local junior who left and returned

View attachment 864
So crazy that Walker is only 28. Feels like he’s been around forever

Back