NRL NRL Round 3, 2024 Discussion

I really don't think you can compare the same team across two different weeks. If this week's sharks and storm had played us, we would have pumped both and be currently top of the ladder. A week is a long time in rugby league.

Agreed.

But a Storm B side are still pretty hard to beat even when they are not at their best (some credit must go to Newcastle, so often other sides when offered that easy path get dicked by the Storm anyway).

Usually when the Storm B sides during Origin launch their late comeback the opposition skip a beat in fear, lose confidence, and let a sitter get away on them.

The way Newy decided to defend a lead was gutsy.

Last edited:
The panthers are set to be the first team announced to play in Vegas next year. We are also 1 of 6 other teams who have displayed interest to open round 1 in Vegas next season.

I have said many times on this forum it takes 5/6 weeks for the form to become apparent.
Who would have thought Cowboys on top alone??
Cowboys have a great roster. This is their premiership window IMO, the Bronco's window has shrunk to a porthole.

We really needed to take one of those first two games to create a buffer later on.

Cowboys have played Dolphins, Dragons, Knights and still managed to give up over 20 points a game.

Give it a few rounds to see where they're really at.
I'm going by their strike on attack. Teams should get better in defence but the level of strike they have across the park stays the same. If you don't have it then you really don't have much hope. Raiders are a good example, they can tough it out all they like but they don't have the attack to go all the way. Neither do the Sharks. Roger gives us a look in.

I'm going by their strike on attack. Teams should get better in defence but the level of strike they have across the park stays the same. If you don't have it then you really don't have much hope. Raiders are a good example, they can tough it out all they like but they don't have the attack to go all the way. Neither do the Sharks. Roger gives us a look in.
Very open competition at the moment. My dread is I cant see us (wahs) being as good as first thought pre season.
Hope I'm wrong tho. Some of those big forwards give me the heeby geebies.

Hmm I dunno, it's essentially the reverse of us last year.

I think Webby had it right last year (and even this year) where we've been defence first, attack second.

That attack ended up coming through last year and we went on a run.

I feel that's still the case this year, I think we were told not to offload at all this week, which is very different to how we usually play

Very open competition at the moment. My dread is I cant see us (wahs) being as good as first thought pre season.
Hope I'm wrong tho. Some of those big forwards give me the heeby geebies.
Don’t want to peak too early either but gotta keep the wins flowing too, so it’s a tricky balance. I get the feeling things might really click in the backline when CNK returns. Also the intensity of Niukore is another factor and also hopefully getting a healthy Egan soon is plenty to be optimistic about. These guys play to win so hopefully they’re hungry to experience more of it after registering their first one of the season

Hmm I dunno, it's essentially the reverse of us last year.

I think Webby had it right last year (and even this year) where we've been defence first, attack second.

That attack ended up coming through last year and we went on a run.

I feel that's still the case this year, I think we were told not to offload at all this week, which is very different to how we usually play
Depends on who's coming back. We looked clunky on attack on Friday, some rejigged combos still need settling.

Nuikore and Capewell starting gives us more strike than Capewell and Ford. I could be wrong but doesn't Capewell normally play on the left side for club and Qld?

We didn't earn the right to offload for large parts of the game.

Yeah I agree you can't go in to every tackle looking for an offload. But we had none. Just checked and the last 15 games we've played (couldn't find the finals games tho) we've offloaded in every other game except for the weekend, so to me it would have been a clear directive from Webby.

Maybe we threw away opportunities in the first few games so Webby wanted us to play a bit more direct and grind the Raiders down instead of trying to create something from nothing.

Depends on who's coming back. We looked clunky on attack on Friday, some rejigged combos still need settling.

Nuikore and Capewell starting gives us more strike than Capewell and Ford. I could be wrong but doesn't Capewell normally play on the left side for club and Qld?

Capewell played left for Brisbane, but has previously played on the right (e.g., at Cronulla). I'll admit that I thought the sensible move would be to keep Capewell on the left and play Ford on the right, as his game is more of a defensive / crash-type second rower (and he doesn't pass often) who would work well with SJ, especially given he likes turning second rowers under - but I'll trust Webby on that one.

Niukore will almost certainly play in the middle rotation, and when he returns, he'll be off the bench in any event.

Chooks and Manly have got me worried so far, attack looks so fluid and can strike from anywhere, looking deadly early rounds.
Agree the strike they have in those teams is pretty formidable. The key with those games is to try and control the tempo. Those sides get ancy if their not scoring every 5 minutes. Turn it into a grindfest for long periods just go set for set see who blinks first......Websters instilled that resilience in us.......teams like Manly, the Eels, the Chooks who can put points on in a hurry.....im still not so sure.

Cowboys have played Dolphins, Dragons, Knights and still managed to give up over 20 points a game.

Give it a few rounds to see where they're really at.
Cows have had an easy run, bit of fake form until they come up against a tough defensive side where points won't just flow.

If the Broncos were full strength or close I would expect they would get a wake up call.

Unfortunately they don't have a dicey game till Parra, but they also have defensive issues so even then it's not a real test of their potential fragility.

Cows have had an easy run, bit of fake form until they come up against a tough defensive side where points won't just flow.

If the Broncos were full strength or close I would expect they would get a wake up call.

Unfortunately they don't have a dicey game till Parra, but they also have defensive issues so even then it's not a real test of their potential fragility.
It could be fun if they belt the Broncos this week.

Only one undefeated side left after just 3 rounds.
Always a bit difficult to really say that when there's a Bye for someone each week but, anyway, yes after 3 the Cowboys and old Todd are looking pretty peachy.

Back