1. Just a note that the site will be down for a few hours today (18th February). This is due to a migration of the site to another server in preparation for a major upgrade. Some users may not see any downtime at all, really depends on your Internet Service Provider. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Team List Round 1: Warriors Vs Eels

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by ajofbrisbane, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

ajofbrisbane 1st Grade Fringe

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Halfback Shaun Johnson has recovered from his elbow injury to be named for the Vodafone Warriors’ season-opening NRL match against the Eels at Parramatta Stadium on Saturday (5.30pm kick-off; 7.30pm NZ time).
    The 22-year-old playmaker hyperextended his right elbow during the Vodafone Warriors’ 16-10 trial win against Brisbane in Dunedin on February 23.

The conservative view was that he could be out for three or possibly four weeks but Elliott was always optimistic Johnson would be ready to take on the Eels.
    He was more than optimistic today after naming his first official NRL side since taking charge at the Vodafone Warriors.

“I’m confident Shaun is ready to take on the Eels,” he said.
    “Our medical team has been working on him and he has recovered really well.”
    As he did for the trials against Penrith in Hamilton and against the Broncos, the 38-game NRL player will be teamed in the halves with veteran Thomas Leuluai.

The starting line-up shows only one change from the one used against Brisbane – Glen Fisiiahi named on the right wing ahead of Bill Tupou. Second rower Ben Henry is on the bench, returning after missing the Dunedin trial with an ankle injury while utility Pita Godinet is also included.

Making their first NRL appearances for the club will be the 2012 Melbourne grand final-winning duo Dane Nielsen and Todd Lowrie; while the Vodafone Warriors have had premiership victors on their roster before they’ve never had two current winners at the same time.

Centre Nielsen will become Vodafone Warrior No 178 and Lowrie No 179 while Wellingtonian Charlie Gubb (22), one of six named on the interchange bench, is in line to become No 180.

While Nielsen, Lowrie and Leuluai were the club’s three major signings, Gubb has impressed during his offseason trial earning a fulltime contract for the 2013 season. A member of the Vodafone Junior Warriors’ inaugural NYC premiership winning side in 2010 – and also named NYC clubman of the year – Gubb was part of Wynnum-Manly’s 2011-2012 champion Queensland Cup teams. He was also made the Queensland Residents side last year before returning home to take up a trial contract with the Vodafone Warriors. Another prop on trial, 2012 Vulcans regular Suaia Matagi, has also been signed on a fulltime contract.

“Charlie and Suaia have impressed us and have absolutely earned their contracts. It’s great to have them with us fulltime,” said Elliot.

Leuluai, who also boasts 30 Tests for the Kiwis, is poised to play for the Vodafone Warriors again more than eight and a half years since his last appearance for the club in 2004. That was coincidentally also against the Eels.
    After appearing 21 times for the Vodafone Warriors in 2003-2004, Leuluai spent eight seasons in the English Super League, making than 220 appearances for Wigan and the London Broncos. In 189 games for Wigan he scored 60 tries.

The Vodafone Warriors travel to Sydney on Friday afternoon ahead of Saturday night’s game before returning home for ED3N – THE RISING, their first home game of the season against the Sonny Bill Williams-bolstered Sydney Roosters at Eden Park on Saturday, March 16 (7.30pm kick-off).

Vodafone Warriors v PARRAMATTA EELS
    Parramatta Stadium, Parramatta
    5.30pm, Saturday, March 09

Vodafone Warriors
    1 Kevin Locke
    2 Glen Fisiiahi
    3 Dane Nielsen
    4 Konrad Hurrell
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Thomas Leuluai
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Sam Rapira
    9 Elijah Taylor
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Feleti Mateo
    12 Simon Mannering (c)
    13 Todd Lowrie

Interchange:
    14 Ben Henry
    15 Jacob Lillyman
    16 Sebastine Ikahihifo
    17 Pita Godinet
    20 Steve Rapira
    21 Charlie Gubb
    HEAD COACH: Matthew Elliott

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

2. eX | Machina
    Join:
    Jun 20, 2012

eX | Machina 1st Grade Fringe

No surprises really. The team somewhat picked it self.

3. Danpatmac
    Join:

Danpatmac Guest

WOOOOHOOOO no TOOPOOOOOOOO

4. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Wheres Ropati guys ? Isn't he our ultimate utility superstar ? Looked so good in the trial.

5. Makasene
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Makasene 1st Grade Fringe

Taylor at hooker? Would prefer Mara.

All in all best team we could have picked really.

Come back Friendy, come back.

6. Matt13-1
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Matt13-1 Warriors Bench Player

Yay no Tupou!

I'm guessing Ikahihifo will play prop.

7. Est95
    Join:
    May 11, 2012

Est95 1st Grade Fringe

I like that team, but now all im gonna be thinking about all week is who's gonna get cut from the bench? or are raps and Gubb both "18th men"?

8. Danpatmac
    Join:

Danpatmac Guest

What I remember distinctly is a certain outspoken and somewhat self important regular poster being adamant that Dane Neilsen was purchased purely as depth and that he was not good enought to be in the starting 17.

After watching him play every trial and never once look like missing out it's time to admit you are wrong. You know who you are.

9. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

love the look of that team. i would swap neilson and koni around though.

really hope the fish takes his chance.

10. Makasene
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

I'd like to see Pita come on at hooker around the 25 - 30 min mark with the instruction to run run run run. Lance Hohaia styles.

11. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

That's an awesome lineup first up, Ben Henry to cover every position known to man haha, way to go Elliott I like it, time to fly fish!

12. Makasene
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Nielson will partner Manu

Konrad with Fish

Would you like that to swap? Cos I thought these combos worked well in the Brisbane trial.

13. MarkW
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

MarkW 1st Grade Fringe

Fish deserves the call up as does Ikahihifo.

Pretty pleased with that lot. Just not sure how Taylor will fare at hooker... I'm assuming he's going to sub with Godinet? Or perhaps TL will shift to hooker and Godinet cover half?

14. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

IMO Mannering will shift there when Seb comes on and Leuluai goes to hooker at some stage Godinet to half. Well balanced team, with good spark off the bench.

15. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Time to face facts u reckon?
    Disappointed Mara missed out and as for Benry- well I'll just say very lucky to be there and leave it at that

16. Apus
    Join:
    Sep 6, 2012

Apus 1st Grade Fringe

That bench is a little small for me. Would like to see Henry off for Gubb. I've never liked 1 prop benches.

17. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

ajofbrisbane 1st Grade Fringe

18. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

Nielsen's regular position is left centre and Hurrells is right, it would be playing them out of position.
    I hope fish is given chances and not wasted as a hit up merchant.

19. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

No surprises in starting team, looks a really good side. Really only two bench spaces to choose, surely Godinet and Lillyman have two sorted. Although I thought Ropati might get the 4th spot, and I am not sorry that he hasn't, I I think this squad has the balance and experience to do well. With no Hindmarsh I reckon that the Eels will be vulnerable from the 30 minute mark where Pita will probably get his chance. Important for the Warriors to absorb the pressure and do the basic, completing sets, handling,kick chase no 50/50 plays to start with.

IMO one of the (many) problems last year was no real bench impact. It seems to be there now. Warriors by 10-20 if they execute and do the 1%ers. I won't jinx them by putting money on them.

20. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay Warriors 5th Grader

I believe i read somewhere that Pita Godinet will be playing vulcans this weekend. Has the Vulcans team been officially announced?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.