Where will the Warriors finish in 2024?

• 1-2

• 3-4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• 9-12

• 13-17

Results are only viewable after voting.
What about Niukore into the middle fulltime? Early in the year he was sliding into the middle after starting on the edge but it seemed to happen less & less as the season went on. Only 6 touches vs the Broncos in 55 minutes hanging out on the righthand side.
He's not huge but is a tad bigger than JFH. I was lucky enough to see (& hear) him flatten NAS during preseason when he was covering Prop. Would be a far better option at kick off returns than Tohu & Barnett too

That could find us that punch we are looking for from a realistic source, rather than a lets hope from some pie in the Sky NSW cup sauce.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the odds are in our favor that at least one New South Welshman Warrior will come through and be the next Taukeiaho, except this time we will hold onto em....and hopefully this time it is a prop.

Also there are guys who are finding it tough in the NRL like Ale who should not be written off, it was good to see him return to cup and have some big games there, after getting NRL experience, it tells me he hasn't settled for what he has achieved so far.

It is Deja vu reading some of these posts.

Warriors will finish 5-6th is the new black, usually (before this amazing season) you read fans predicting 8th - 9th.

I spose it is an improvement then, but it kinda pisses me off a little....just a tiny bit, it is still too conservative, too safe, too far from what we actually have, what we have is a team that can win a top four spot.

Now I know it is tempting to want us to be Penrith next year, or the Broncos, and fans are fully entitled to dream, and script a way to get there, but that is not how life works.

The Panthers are a once in a hundred years side. They are the Storm of the now.

The Broncos, might be a once in a generation side, but they have to win the GF to earn that title, and unfortunately for them, possibly the greatest club side ever stands in their way.

But...getting back to the Warriors, there is no magic wand for turning our team into them. Sorry, but it takes a ten year plan to get there, which is why it is a once in a generational ideal, and obviously, you hope that things come together a lot faster during your ten year cycle.

However if you do not have a ten year plan, you are the Warriors....a team that will NEVER win the NRL without one.

Some may argue that saying it takes ten years is arbitrary and maybe even pulled out of me arse.

No it is not.

Right now, there are fifteen and sixteen year olds running around in the South Island that are recent league converts and have won the national title, there are kids switching to League in their hearts and minds all over NZ.

Andrew McFadden is the guy who is going to turn the Warriors into the Panthers of tomorrow.

I digress, the thread is about next year, so the last thing I will say about why we will not be the Panthers next year, or the Broncos, is that who cares, the Warriors signed a lot of those South Island kid stars and they look like real footballers, they look like future Kiwi reps.

If we make the top eight in any position it will be a success that will tick the box of being a regular top eight side.

If we make the top four that will be incredible, that will mean we are a genuine heavy weight in the NRL whether we can beat the Panthers/Broncos or not.

Next year we will get some early love from the Refs because we have their respect (rule has qualifiers, it doesn't apply when we play Panthers/Broncos/Storm) we need to hit the ground running and bank those points early and get into the four fast.

If SJ is ok, and our key guys, then we will.

You worry a bit about our team being flat after this years harsh ending getting thrashed in the finals, usually this coming year in a Warriors coaches life is the hardest, this is where the team gives up as the message gets stale.

This is why bringing RTS back was a genius move, he is a talisman, he is a voice that will lift spirits and a face that gives strength to those around him, and he is a genuine strike threat on a left edge that we lack at the moment.

Tohu will be all healed up next year, he will be able to run freely. These are key guys, you add SJ and you have the trinity.

The other thing about us striking hard and fast from the start next year, is that the bandwagon will stick around. That buzz is huge for us, Up the Wahs has been one of the best things to ever happen for the club, like the man said...it is spiritual.

Get that packed out Mt Smart rocking again, and anticipate we will get a lot of home wins.

Next year we are not hampered by a rebuild and uncertainty about squad make up. People like Curran know they are training in preseason for a Jersey that is his to lose.

As Walker pointed out, they were not allowed to try new attacking moves until we played the Broncos this year, up until then we were defence focused.

Next year our squad is looking stable, we can attack from round one and race up the table, get that momentum we need, and bank points that will give us an even better shot at top two than we had this year, even if we play the Storm and Roosters and the other mega clubs twice.

In our last game this year people saw oblivion, darkness, no hope, I saw us find a way to get to the half way against the Broncos line speed, I saw us start fast and take the lead, I saw us string together some of our best attack of the season, and I saw our defensive line unable to get back in time because of ruck officiating fuckery.

Folks do not make the mistake of assuming Penrith and the Broncos will be the same next year as this year.

Every year the fans do this next season prediction stuff and make up a list based off what happened the year before.

Clubs fail, clubs fall apart, clubs lose key players and sink from the very top of the mountain.

We will not be the Panthers or the Broncos next year, but they may not even be their unbeatable selves.

One thing I have learned watching this team is they have a hunger, they love playing and they bounce back fast from hidings, all reasons why they (injury, Gods willing) have a shit hot run of success to look forward to because we have the best coach in the NRL.

Last edited:
I hope Volkman gets a huge amount of minutes guiding the team around the training paddock over the offseason. People are quick to right him off but he's got the most potential out of all the candidates to be SJ's heir. It won't happen overnight though. His record (3W-2L) isn't great but wins & losses early on in a career doesn't mean much. Tom Dearden for example had just 1 win across a 28 game period early in his career before becoming an Origin rep & performing well at that level

Last edited:
I hope Volkman gets a huge amount of minutes guiding the team around the training paddock over the offseason. People are quick to right him off but he's got the most potential out of all the candidates to be SJ's heir. It won't happen overnight though. His record (3W-2L) isn't great but wins & loses early on in a career doesn't mean much. Tom Dearden for example had just 1 win across a 28 game period early in his career before becoming an Origin rep & performing well at that level
I think this year’s success and the nsw cup seasons success is no coincidence and training is at a strong level. Would imagine they are simulating real game atmosphere and really pushing each other.

I hope Volkman gets a huge amount of minutes guiding the team around the training paddock over the offseason. People are quick to right him off but he's got the most potential out of all the candidates to be SJ's heir. It won't happen overnight though. His record (3W-2L) isn't great but wins & loses early on in a career doesn't mean much. Tom Dearden for example had just 1 win across a 28 game period early in his career before becoming an Origin rep & performing well at that level
Volkman is good. His last game was behind a well beaten pack and the only game he has played in his proper #7 role.
He's still young too, look at all the gun halfbacks that are in the League at the moment. Cleary is the exception but most are over 30.

Last edited:
Volkman is good. His last game was behind a well beaten pack and the only game he has played in his proper #7 rule.
He's still young too, look at all the gun halfbacks that are in the League at the moment. Cleary is the exception but most are over 30.

I am a huge fan of Ronnie.

I was happy with the call to keep him out of the NRL.

Where others see him on the outter, I see his withholding from the NRL as evidence of how important his future is to the club.

Some people are talking up Setu Tu for a wing spot next year. I think he is a comer but needs to be coached by a sprint coach. To me his stride is too short, fixable.

I am hoping Leiatauas hamstring issues are just growing pain issues, Tu's sprint Coach can monitor.

Metcalf to 6 with TMM at 14, a Lance Hohaia type cover player.

CHT tried at left centre, as a left footer extra kicking option and playmaker. Defense easily good enoughg for Center

Volkman to rest SJ every 5 games or so.

Ale to replace Harris in game, Harris to Prop or spelled

At least 2 of the NSW forwards need to step up next season

CHT tried at left centre, as a left footer extra kicking option and playmaker. Defense easily good enoughg for Center
We have four (at least) first grade caliber centres, there is no way CHT plays there.
He will be the utility/quality depth for multiple positions.

I hope Volkman gets a huge amount of minutes guiding the team around the training paddock over the offseason. People are quick to right him off but he's got the most potential out of all the candidates to be SJ's heir. It won't happen overnight though. His record (3W-2L) isn't great but wins & losses early on in a career doesn't mean much. Tom Dearden for example had just 1 win across a 28 game period early in his career before becoming an Origin rep & performing well at that level
Yeah I'm the same, there are no standout halves on the market and Volkman has done a fine job at cup level.

He like everyone else needs reps and the sprinkle of nrl games next year he's still very young and has shown he has a kicking game which is vital.

Just hope he stays around!

We have four (at least) first grade caliber centres, there is no way CHT plays there.
He will be the utility/quality depth for multiple positions.
Agree about Centres, my thinking CHT could provide a point of difference to unsettle opposition defenses

If you embed Volkman in a NRL team for a season and ride out the kinks, he would quickly rise to a top five field kicker in the game, his boot is amaze balls for his age.

2024 guys like Volkman need to play a few Nrl games to see where he is at and whether he is ready to play 7 in 2025 or if coaches think he isn’t ready/ won’t make it we see if SJ wants to play 2025 he will be 34 but look at DCE and season he has had at 34 Cronk won nrl at 35 so don’t think it’s off the table. Harris also off contract end of year I’m not as confident he can go around will want to go around 2025 so finding his successor will also be critical.

2024 guys like Volkman need to play a few Nrl games to see where he is at and whether he is ready to play 7 in 2025 or if coaches think he isn’t ready/ won’t make it we see if SJ wants to play 2025 he will be 34 but look at DCE and season he has had at 34 Cronk won nrl at 35 so don’t think it’s off the table. Harris also off contract end of year I’m not as confident he can go around will want to go around 2025 so finding his successor will also be critical.
I wouldn't mind if Tohu and SJ staggered thier retirements. Would hate to lose both the same season.

If I was making predictions for our current squad I would see us losing Curran and Berry for 2025. Curran going seems a no-brainer as a player that good playing a bench role seems off. He would want to start. Berry going as we have Centre depth and I can see him playing somewhere like the Storm as their Centres defensively have been bad.

Note I have no inside info but since this is a discussion/predictions thread I thought I would throw this out there.

If I was making predictions for our current squad I would see us losing Curran and Berry for 2025. Curran going seems a no-brainer as a player that good playing a bench role seems off. He would want to start. Berry going as we have Centre depth and I can see him playing somewhere like the Storm as their Centres defensively have been bad.

Note I have no inside info but since this is a discussion/predictions thread I thought I would throw this out there.
I dunno.

Curran maybe.

But we have no idea how he feels about being a bench impact guy, a lot of players love it...like Walker for example.

As for Berry yeah nah, don't see a guy who was struggling and lacking confidence wanting to leave the coach who helped him find it.

Having said that we have ample replacements for him if he goes.

Last edited:
I dunno.

Curran maybe.

But we have no idea how he feels about being a bench impact guy, a lot of players love it...like Walker for example.

As for Berry yeah nah, don't see a guy who was struggling and lacking confidence wanting to leave the coach who helped him find it.

Having said that we have ample replacements for him if he goes.
Berry's kick chases are so quick, obviously has explosive speed...wouldn't mind seeing him put in space sometime

Yep. I can see Curran being a good starter somewhere, but also he's always going to bounce between bench and starting here.....I think Ford is with us for a bit but I imagine the Dragons might try and tempt him back home at some point - depends how he comes on next year. If he can get rid of penalties and fades, he's a 110% player.......Berry again needs to kick on as Ali will be chasing a first grade spot next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Robertson was giving him a call to congratulate him on his season. He'll be 27 next rugby world cup in Australia and could make a very good 12/13 with some more development - but he has also showed enough promise to kick on with us......he's showed the ability to learn well and part of the reason for DWZ's success....just like to see him get that confidence to offload once he bends the line.....

Back