Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Terrible GDP data today. 3 out of the last 4 quarters negative, when the rest of the world has already bounced back post covid.

The long tail of bad economic decisions.

Hilarious that those that are accountable for this financial debacle are daring challenge the new government on their performance after two weeks in power. 🤷‍♂️

And then this: The Auditor-General has left a 'scathing' review of the previous Government's $15 billion infrastructure spend-up during Covid-19.

This report addressed the $12 billion New Zealand Upgrade Programme and $3 billion Shovel-Ready Programme designed to boost the economy and long-term infrastructure in 2020.

John Ryan says neither of these projects had any real business cases backing them.

"A lot of those projects, Ministers were advised, were not ready to be announced. Business cases were mainly out of date or only partially complete."

And now we’re getting all these botched projects… Grant Robertson should forced to resign from parliament for the damage he has done, which we’re all paying for. Incompetence.

Last edited:
Terrible GDP data today. 3 out of the last 4 quarters negative, when the rest of the world has already bounced back post covid.

Hilarious that those that are accountable for this financial debacle are daring challenge the new government on their performance after two weeks in power. 🤷‍♂️

And then this: The Auditor-General has left a 'scathing' review of the previous Government's $15 billion infrastructure spend-up during Covid-19.

This report addressed the $12 billion New Zealand Upgrade Programme and $3 billion Shovel-Ready Programme designed to boost the economy and long-term infrastructure in 2020.

John Ryan says neither of these projects had any real business cases backing them.

"A lot of those projects, Ministers were advised, were not ready to be announced. Business cases were mainly out of date or only partially complete."

And now we’re getting all these botched projects… Grant Robertson should forced to resign from parliament for the damage he has done, which we’re all paying for. Incompetence.

Factory Warning: Any replies will be pissing in the wind

Factory Warning: Any replies will be pissing in the wind
You mean you’re going to try to be an apologist for Robertson stuffing up the economy, inflation, govt debt, govt deficit, current account deficit, gdp growth, multiple recession, failed infrastructure projects, etc through incompetence and repeatedly not following officials advice?

It would be pissing into the wind. 🤣

You’ve even said how bad the last govt was and it’s all coming out…

Last edited:
The difference of buying 20 years ago and today is vastly different.

For one thing house prices have gone up 300%

Herne Bay in the early 2000 you could buy houses for $400k that are now sell for $4m

Mt Roskill or Pakaraga 3 bedrooms are well over $1m.
Trying saving a 20% deposit while paying Auckland rental prices, while paying off your student loan.

Then if your lucky enough you get to service that $800k mortgage and pay rates which is going up & insurance which is going up.

I don't think anybody struggling to get onto the property market is realistically ranting about owning a 5 bedroom house in inner city suburbs.

The early 2000s were the golden period for buying - Cheap inner city house, low deposits, low interest and an upcoming boom in prices.
You are right. The other thing happening was the same people complaining about prices being too high and being so unfair.
Nothing has changed here. The usual whingers that prefer to complain and point the finger rather than do something about their lot.
That requires hard work and sacrifice so they wont go near it.

You are right. The other thing happening was the same people complaining about prices being too high and being so unfair.
Nothing has changed here. The usual whingers that prefer to complain and point the finger rather than do something about their lot.
Agreed. I can remember when nobody wanted to buy or live in Ponsonby.Mt. Roskill and surrounding areas will be the next HerneBay and Ponsonby

Spoken like a true Landlord. Don't forget to complain about smashed avocado on toast and lattes either.

Man, so far from the reality that people have to live in.

Spoken like a true Landlord. Don't forget to complain about smashed avocado on toast and lattes either.

Man, so far from the reality that people have to live in.
I worry about my kids who are late teens getting a house. It’s going to be damn hard but if they prioritise hard work before having kids I expect them to be able to afford a house.

There are basic cheap houses in Tauranga for around $600k. With double incomes at a combined $150k that’s 4x income.

Achievable. And I think they could probably have some avos on toast as well!

Doesn’t sound like there’s huge confidence in the new finance minister.

I absolutely disagree with your first paragraph. Per capita we trounce most countries for entrepreneurs!
Just read it & off the top of my head I'm thought of Xero, ian taylor, peter jackson, nz sailing...if I looked I could probably find a lot more. Plus the old saying of nz no. 8 wire problem solving is endemic lol.
sooo SaaS, who??, someone who makes movies, and a sailing club?!?…

Your Honor the defense rests.

Not true imo.
Looking around the country and all the sole lawn mowing guys. Market stallholders. Sole shopkeepers hairdressers uber drivers and I can go on and on.
Much simpler to startup a business here than in Australia. At least it was a few years ago. Apparently there's over 350000 sole traders in NZ.
You’ve named sole operators and no companies.

Case in point, knowing the difference between a self employed tradie and a company is a big hurdle for kiwis.

But why? Housing makes 2.5% return and you hope for 6% capital gain. Shock market might make 8-10% return. A small business can make 30% return.

It’s so easy to make heaps MORE with your own business but people don’t step up. Why do we have squillions of small businesses where people don’t ramp them up?

Hint: it’s not for financial reasons…
Lack of intelligence/ imagination. The bell curve of IQ distribution exists…

There is one very easy way to reduce rent and make houses more affordable without reducing the income to landlords. But the left won’t like it as it’s not punitive on landlords such as a Brightline test or capital gains tax is…. even though these costs are passed on to the tenant in higher rent.

Why can charities rent houses cheaper than anyone else? Because they don’t pay tax and aren’t subject to the Brightline test. In some cases, they also don’t pay rates to the local TA, So, forget about considering rental properties as a business so landlords don’t pay any tax on their rental properties but also can’t claim any losses on their rental properties. BUT the money which would have been paid in tax is passed on to the tenant in a form of weekly rental reductions or an 1 off annual payment.

So, if a landlord should have paid $10,400 in tax for the current financial year, they instead reduce the weekly rent by $200 or reimburse the tenant with a one off payment of $10,400.
Hahhahahaba. Fuck me. Anything for a chance to ride the gravy train huh.

Remove. Property. Speculation. It’s fucking ridiculously easy. Just Kiwis aren’t brave or smart enough.

It wasn’t a dig. Just a fact. I have been all of the above.

Your upside is limited to your physical labor and can’t be scaled through capital.
I don't want to employ people.
I don't need anyone else.
I am not a great example as I am older and more than happy with the way things are going.
I started my business 25 years ago with a phone and pc .Not hard .

Back