• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
Ronald Griffiths 541.png

Staff Ronald Griffiths

Full Name
Ronald Griffiths
Coach Grade
  1. NRLW
Date of Birth
Mar 2, 1978
Birth Location
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Signed From
Newcastle Knights
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Griffiths
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/ron-griffiths--n-/summary.html

mt.wellington

Contributor

Ronald Griffiths is an Australian professional rugby league football coach who is the head coach of the Newcastle Knights NSW Cup team. He previously coached the NRL Women's Premiership team, coaching them to two premierships.

Griffiths is of Indigenous Australian descent. He played junior rugby league for the Woodberry Warriors.

In 2012, Griffiths coached the Maitland Pickers in the Newcastle Rugby League, as well as mentoring the under-16s New South Wales Koori side. In 2014, he coached the Greta-Branxton Colts as well as being a pathways coach with the New South Wales VB Cup representative side.

In 2016, he became head coach at the Kurri Kurri Bulldogs.

In 2019, he worked with the coaching staff at the Wests Tigers, before taking up an assistant coach role with the team in 2020.

In 2021, he was a part of the coaching staff for the Indigenous All Stars side.

In April 2022, Griffiths was announced as the head coach of the Newcastle Knights' NRLW team. The team won 4 of its 5 regular season games, before winning the semi-final match and ultimately winning the 2022 NRLW Premiership, the Knights' defeating the Parramatta Eels 32-12.

Griffiths would coach the NRLW team to another premiership win in 2023, before being announced as the Knights' NSW Cup head coach going into 2024.

On 1 July, the New Zealand Warriors announced the appointment of Griffiths as head coach of their NRLW team, who return to the competition in 2025. Griffiths was appointed on a three-year deal. The Newcastle Knights confirmed that Griffiths will depart the club at the conclusion of the 2024 NSW Cup season.

NZWarriors.com

Wests Tigers appoint Ron Griffiths as Coaching Assistant​

Wed 29 Jan 2020, 01:13 pm

Wests Tigers are pleased to confirm that respected rugby league coach Ron Griffiths has joined the club as a Coaching Assistant for the 2020 NRL season.

Having worked closely with Michael Maguire and the club's coaching staff in 2019, Griffiths will take on a more formal role with the side in the coming year as well as providing assistance to the club's Indigenous and Community programs.

Griffiths joins Wests Tigers with the full sport of leading Australian Aboriginal organisation KARI Foundation with the goal of contributing to the club's already talented team in the continued development of junior coaching and recruitment, indigenous and community programs and mentor assistance to young players.

Prior to his official role with Wests Tigers, Griffiths previously coached the Kurri Kurri Bulldogs and Maitland Pickers in the Newcastle Rugby League competition.

Ronald Griffiths announced as NRLW Head Coach​

Thu 14 Apr 2022, 03:30 pm
Ronald Griffiths 186.png

The nib Newcastle Knights are delighted to announce Ronald Griffiths has been appointed as the NRL Telstra Women’s Premiership Head Coach for the 2022 season.

Griffiths, a Newcastle Woodberry Warriors junior, brings a wealth of coaching experience to the Knight's second season in the NRLW, which commences in August, 2022.

Ronald’s credentials include Assistant Coaching roles in NRL Women’s and Men’s Indigenous All-Stars, plus three years full-time with premiership-winning Coach Michael Maguire at Wests Tigers.

The proud Gommeroi man returns to his spiritual home on Awabakal country where he played junior and senior football, along with serving a lengthy coaching apprenticeship, including Head Coaching positions with Kurri Kurri, Maitland, and the Greta Branxton Rugby League Clubs.

The newly appointed Head Coach was delighted and grateful for the opportunity.

“I’m proud to be appointed Knights NRLW Head Coach," Griffiths said.

“Whilst acknowledging and paying homage to the family, friends, and colleagues that have supported him on his coaching journey, especially wife Chantal and kids Warrali and Kiata.

“My family and I grew up watching and loving the Newcastle Knights. To be given the chance to come home to coach at this club is very special and I’m looking forward to representing my family, my people, and the wider community.

“Newcastle is a renowned blue-collar community; success is built on the back of hard work and to me that’s what the Knights really pride themselves on. I intend to uphold those values.

“We’ve got one of the best junior nurseries in the world, it’s going to be great to help the next generation of female rugby league players progress through the pathways we now have from grass roots to elite participation.”

Furthermore, I’m excited to take on this unique opportunity and continue my coaching development under the tutelage of Garth Brennan and Adam O'Brien.

Newcastle Knights Head of Pathways Garth Brennan was pleased to have Griffith’s head up the NRLW program.

“Ronnie is a great acquisition to our club and the right person for this appointment, said Brennan.

“He brings great knowledge from many years of working hard to learn his coaching trade, especially traveling to Sydney and back home to Newcastle for over three years.

“Having done this myself, I know the sacrifices it takes and the toll it has on your family, in order to better yourself as a coach and equally importantly a person, he has earned this opportunity.

“We are establishing a wonderful roster with big names and quality people, who are keen to join the Knights and help us grow help grow this exciting pathway for female participation.”

The Club would also like to thank Casey Bromilow for his service and outstanding commitment to the NRLW side during their inaugural season.
Bromilow will remain as the Elite Pathways Program Manager at the Knights.

New Indigenous All Stars coach hopes his journey to the top job inspires others​

Jarred Cross - December 2, 2022

Newly appointed men's NRL Indigenous All Stars coach Ronald Griffiths wants his journey to the helm to serve as a platform for aspiring First Nations rugby league professionals.

Ahead of preparations for his side's annual pre-season showcase against the Maori All Stars in February, the proud Gommeroi man reflected on his rise to representative honours.

Griffiths' grew up on Awabakal land where his father Rick was captain-coach for recent Koori Knockout winners the Newcastle All Blacks.

It ignited a passion for what would eventually become his own career.

Only a few years ago, while at the grassroots level, Griffiths approached West Tigers coach Michael McGuire for pointers at a coaching clinic.

Within weeks he was regularly at the club working in a minor role.

The experience would eventually come full circle, later landing a full-time position in Newcastle.

In 2022 Griffiths coached the Knights NRLW side to their first premiership.

The journey has realised a number of dreams he had for rugby league held since childhood.

"I always had a passion for it and I aspired to play it and then just as I got a little bit older I really wanted to be a coach," Griffiths said.

"From my perspective, he (my father) was ahead of his time.

"I was probably 11 or 12 years old and he used to run coaching clinics for 100 Aboriginal kids from across New South Wales and at some stage he brought down some kids from Queensland.

"I got to experience those things at a young age and, you know, that's shaped my coaching philosophy and who I am as the coach."

Now in the top job, thanks to a call up from former New South Wales State of Origin and Indigenous All Stars coach Laurie Daley, Griffiths looks to cherish the opportunity and connection to culture within the game he loves.

"I'm extremely proud of my culture," Griffiths said.

"We can trace our family lineage back to first contact, so for me to be able to be in that setup is extremely humbling, something I'm proud of.

"And for me, who didn't have a name in rugby league, to be able to work my way through from grassroots rugby league, It provides hope and inspiration for other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people at the end of the day.

"Further to that, I also think that's an opportunity now for the NRL to be brave and really provide some opportunities and pathways to some of our coaches."
Griffiths is one of four NRLW coaches of Indigenous ancestry joining former NRL stars Jamie Soward, Dean Widders and Scott Price in leading sides through the competition.

The 2023 All Stars marks 50 years since the first Indigenous rugby league tour of Aotearoa in 1973.

It will also be half a century since Arthur Beetson became the first Indigenous captain of any Australian representative sporting side when he led out the Kangaroos in a test against France the same year.

The significance of the occasion has not been lost on those in the game.

The sentiment to set stronger pathways for Indigenous coaching prospects was shared by ARLC chair Peter V'landys.

"The purpose this year was to introduce an elite pathways system for Indigenous coaches," he said.

"The All Stars game was originally created to showcase Indigenous talent on the field, our purpose is to showcase Indigenous talent in all areas of the game.

The Maori All Stars host the Indigenous All Stars for the first time on home turf at Rotorua International Stadium on February 11.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Knights mentor Ron Griffiths has quit his job as NRLW coach after two consecutive premierships​

Pamela Whaley
November 2, 2023 - 5:34PM
Ronald Griffiths 489.png

Newcastle has won its first ever NRLW premiership, with the Knights scoring three tries in the final six minutes to seal a 32-12 over the Parramatta Eels on Grand Final Day.

Ronald Griffiths agonised over the decision to leave his NRLW coaching job with Newcastle but believes the premiers can go to a new level in 2024 under a different style of coaching.

On Thursday the two-time NRLW premiership-winning coach announced he is leaving his job with the women’s program to take up the NSW Cup coaching position with the Knights.

It’s a move he didn’t make lightly but one he ultimately believes is best for his own coaching career and for the NRLW side to unlock more potential.

“The ladies were ecstatic for me to get an opporutnity and it shows what a team we’ve got there, they’re extremly proud of what we’ve achieved there and happy for me to get some more personal development out of that.

“I think the team’s at a stage where they need a different style of coach now too.

“I really think this team is destined to do some great things over the next few years and I feel like a different coach will help unlock some of that potential in terms of the education they need right now.”

It opens up the most coveted coaching position in the women’s game.

NSW women’s coach Kylie Hilder is believed to be among those under consideration as his replacement with the club’s preference to hire a woman for the job.

A month ago Griffiths led the Knights to their second-straight NRLW premiership, which is largely credited to his impressive renovation of the side.

When he took over the job in 2022 the Knights were wooden spooners following their first season, but since have turned into a powerhouse of the game with big recruits including Dally M champion Tamika Upton, Millie Boyle and Hannah and Jesse Southwell.

Their success over the past two seasons has become one of the fairytale stories in the women’s game.

Under his tenure they have won 16 of 18 games.

But after their thrilling 24-18 win over Gold Coast in the grand final, Griffiths hinted this may be his last year in charge with his ultimate goal to coach full-time.

That opportunity has opened up at the Knights with the NSW Cup team before the NRLW grand final, and after a month of deliberation the club has confirmed the switch.

He officially started on Thursday.

“The club came to me with the offer, and I didn’t want to pass up the opportunity to coach all year. NRLW is a shortened season and there’s so many other facets of the job and I just wanted to be able to focus on coaching solely,” he said.

“I agonised for a long time over it. I had conversations each night with my wife and I was backwards and forwards, I would have loved nothing more than to go again and win another premiership, or at least put ourselves in the window to win another one, but in saying that since I started coaching, I played in Newcastle and I coached in Newcastle, I always thought it would be awesome to coach NSW Cup given the affinity I have with those leagues.

“Being from the area I understand the importance of the Knights to our local league teams.”

Griffiths appointed Knights NSW Cup Coach​

Thu 2 Nov 2023, 12:15 pm

The nib Newcastle Knights are pleased to confirm Ronald Griffiths will coach the Club’s NSW Cup team for the 2024 season.

Griffiths has transitioned from leading the Knights’ female programs, which included back-to-back NRLW titles in 2022-23, to focus on full time coaching in the NSW Cup program.

nib Newcastle Knights Director of Football Peter Parr spoke about the appointment.

“After lengthy discussions with Ronald we decided this outcome was the best for all parties," Parr said.

“Ronald has done an outstanding job as NRLW Head Coach, and we felt coaching NSW Cup was the next phase in his coaching career.”

Griffiths reflected upon his time working in the female programs and shared his excitement moving forward with the Knights.

“Coaching NSW Cup will be an exciting opportunity, I will relish being able to connect with the local league clubs and continue my personal development," Griffiths said.

“The Knights have afforded me the chance to be a part of a history making NRLW team, I will be forever grateful for those opportunities and the memories created.

“I would like to thank our players, supporters, sponsors and families who have been with us along this NRLW journey.”

In further coaching news, Knights Head of Pathways Michael Dobson has been appointed Jersey Flegg Head Coach and will also continue to lead the club’s pathways program.

Griffiths to lead Warriors back into NRLW in 2025​

Richard Becht
Mon 1 Jul 2024, 09:59 am
Ronald Griffiths 831.jpg

Two-times premiership-winning coach Ronald Griffiths has been secured on a three-year deal to lead the One New Zealand Warriors back into the NRLW next season.

Griffiths (46) coached the Newcastle Knights to back-to-back NRLW grand final wins in 2022 and 2023 before taking up his current role as Newcastle’s New South Wales Cup coach this season.

He has also coached the Indigenous All Stars to consecutive wins over the Māori All Stars in the last two contests in Rotorua and Townsville.
“We’re absolutely thrilled to have Ron joining us for our return to the NRLW,” said One New Zealand Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“It was critical to appoint the best possible coach for this role and we’ve been able to do that. Ron has terrific coaching pedigree and will add tremendous value to our club as we make our way back in the NRLW.”

When Griffiths took over as Newcastle’s NRLW coach in 2022 campaign, the side was coming off a last place finish in its debut in the expanded competition in 2021.

Under his guidance the Knights were transformed into a dominant force posting 16 wins and just two losses en route to consecutive premiership triumphs.
“We couldn’t have a better coach to launch our NRLW return,” said One New Zealand Warriors general manager recruitment, pathways and development Andrew McFadden.

“What Ron did with the Knights in the NRLW over the last two seasons is testament to his ability to build a team from scratch. He’s also passionate about developing our pathways for the women’s game here in New Zealand.”

Griffiths said he was excited about creating a foundation for the future for the women’s game in New Zealand.

“As a family we’re so grateful to be coming over to be involved with a club that has such a proud history,” said Griffiths.
“It’s exciting to start with a blank canvas, having the opportunity to build a women’s programme from the ground up.

“I’ll be working closely with the people in pathways to set up a structure that delivers sustainable success for the club and develops players and staff from within for the future.”

Raised in the suburb of Woodberry in Maitland in the Hunter Valley, Griffiths is of Australian Indigenous descent, a Gomeroi man who grew up on Awabakal country.

He takes charge of a Warriors side returning to the NRLW after a five-year absence following the Australian Rugby League Commission’s decision to expand the competition to 12 teams.

Also added to the competition were the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs. The 12 teams in 2025 will be: Brisbane Broncos, Canberra Raiders, Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs, Cronulla Sutherland Sharks, Gold Coast Titans, Newcastle Knights, North Queensland Cowboys, One New Zealand Warriors, Parramatta Eels, St George Illawarra Dragons, Sydney Roosters and the Wests Tigers.

The Warriors were one of four foundation clubs alongside Brisbane, St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters when the NRLW was launched in 2018; they played in the competition for the first three seasons before the Covid pandemic’s impact forced them to withdraw.

RON GRIFFITHS​

Date of birth: March 2, 1978
Birthplace: Maitland, NSW
Current position: Newcastle Knights NSW Cup coach 2024
Previous appointments:
Indigenous All Stars head coach 2023-2024
Newcastle Knights NRLW head coach 2022-2023
Indigenous All Stars assistant coach 2021-2022
Wests Tigers NRL assistant coach 2020-2021

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Back