Player Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney

ThePaKid

U20's Player
Feb 7, 2018
Cuz none of that mana ever carrys over to the actual footy field. It feels like an empty salute. A bit like WWE wrestling. All show and no punch.
What the Polynesian players display culturally and how they preform on the field are in comparable. With over 50% of NRL players identifying as Polynesian, singling out this group of warrior players as a generic reason the team is under performing is, in my opinion not very smart.

Reactions: Rizzah and J_P

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
What the Polynesian players display culturally and how they preform on the field are in comparable. With over 50% of NRL players identifying as Polynesian, singling out this group of warrior players as a generic reason the team is under performing is, in my opinion not very smart.

Im talking specifically about NZ warriors players. And I disagree that cultural pride doesn't carry over into the sports field, it mostly definitely does - go watch when they play for their home countries.

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Aman Aman I don't know what ethnicity you are bro, but in Maori & Polynesian culture there is no greater mark of respect & honor than a haka being offered to you by your peers, friends, whanau etc in the fashion that is being offered to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Leeson Ah-Mau.

If you actually bothered to read any of the articles on the topic then you would know that many other Kiwi/Polynesian NRL players from many other NRL clubs were also there to take part in honoring Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Leeson Ah-Mau, not just Warriors players/staff man.

Haka can be used in a variety of ways, it can be used as a mark of respect, it can be used as a challenge, it can be used as a celebration, it can even be used as a farewell at a tangi (funeral) & many more.

It ain't just all about barring up before one goes into battle aye.

*this farkeen auto correct on players initials is my hammering my OCD 😰🤬🤣*

Last edited:

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
im a litttle confused. people keep talking about rogers 300k going to someone else next year, i thought you werent allowed to back or fore load contracts any more?

Reactions: Akkerz

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Aman Aman I don't know what ethnicity you are bro, but in Maori & Polynesian culture there is no greater mark of respect & honor than a haka being offered to you by your peers, friends, whanau etc in the fashion that is being offered to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Leeson Ah-Mau.

If you actually bothered to read any of the articles on the topic then you would know that many other Kiwi/Polynesian NRL players from many other NRL clubs were also there to take part in honoring Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Leeson Ah-Mau, not just Warriors players/staff man.

Haka can be used in a variety of ways, it can be used as a mark of respect, it can be used as a challenge, it can even be used as a farewell at a tangi (funeral) & many more.

It ain't just all about barring up before one goes into battle aye.

*this farkeen auto correct on players initials is my hammering my OCD 😰🤬🤣*

Yaya I get all that but why can't the boys get hard for actual battles rather than just send offs?

• Haha
Reactions: Stone and Akkerz

ThePaKid

U20's Player
Feb 7, 2018
Im talking specifically about NZ warriors players. And I disagree that cultural pride doesn't carry over into the sports field, it mostly definitely does - go watch when they play for their home countries.
Your first post talked of the haka they performed as being an embarrassment and then you liken their efforts akin to the WWF. You also mention the size and skill of the Polynesian players not applying themselves.
If you are talking about Warriors players then name them don’t generalize, this forum allows that.
As for cultural pride, knowing your heritage does not equate to running around smashing your opponent because you are perceived as genetically gifted. The games you talk of, they had really smart coaches.

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
I gotta bit of push back for naming Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in my All Time Kiwis Top 5.

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to to their own opinions on such a subjective topic.

Some said, Top 10 but not Top 5, not even in the top 10, not even in the Warriors Top 5, not even the best fullback the Warriors have had, to name a few.

A lotta contention there to say the least lol.

Even I had to concede that Benji is possibly keeping him out of my Top 5 atm.

But I also tend to think most Warriors fans have a slightly skewed view because of recency bias & we tend to forget what Roger's impact on the game truly was.

Here's a reminder ...

The debate as to whether or not Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is an All Time Top 5 Kiwi/Warrior will always be up for contention IMO as it's always going to be subjective.

But, here's what I see as fact, in over 40 years of watching both league & union Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the best left foot step I have ever seen, bar none, the way he consistently ghosts top defenders with nonchalant ease & makes them look like they have absolutely no business even attempting to try & tackle him is unequivocally special & completely unique to him.

Combine that with his speed, strength, balance, cardio, skill, timing, energy & heart & he is almost the complete player, all he is missing is top playmaker skills, I believe he actually has those capabilities, but because of his obvious value to other areas of the game he's never really had a consistent opportunity to show it.

I'll finish this off by offering a challenge, show me one other highlights package from any other individual league or union player from any other country in the world that shows something like that 6mins & 45sec of consistent sheer explosive X-Factor wizardry & heart at the elite level & I'll happily concede that I'm possibly overrating the man.

Somehow I don't think I am though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I'll happily concede that I'm possibly overrating the man.
I don’t think anyone thinks Roger Tuivasa-Sheck isn’t right up there within the sport as one of the best. What I will offer though is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck pre and post ACL was a significantly different player which affects his legacy.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2015 before the ACL - 12 tries; 15 try assists

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in the 5 season post ACL - average 5 tries per season and 7 try assists. The ACL took the edge off that step that produced the highlights and made him a legend.

Depends if we are ranking career peak or your entire career.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I don’t think anyone thinks Roger Tuivasa-Sheck isn’t right up there within the sport as one of the best. What I will offer though is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck pre and post ACL was a significantly different player which affects his legacy.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2015 before the ACL - 12 tries; 15 try assists

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in the 5 season post ACL - average 5 tries per season and 7 try assists. The ACL took the edge off that step that produced the highlights and made him a legend.

Depends if we are ranking career peak or your entire career.
Or

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck pre-ACL, at the Roosters

and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck post-ACL, with the Worriers

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
im a litttle confused. people keep talking about rogers 300k going to someone else next year, i thought you werent allowed to back or fore load contracts any more?
Apparently they can use that cash to pay someone more this year, to pay them less next year, granting more cap room next year.
If that makes sense?

Reactions: J_P and gREVUS

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
And even post ACL Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was still the Warriors best player during his time here.

Now that I think about it, that's actually quite a depressing thought ☹️

Fark you dudes for making me think that !!! 🖕🤬🤣

Disclaimer: just so no one gets salt in their vagina, that last line is completely tongue in cheek, believe you me, if I was actually trying to offend someone it'd be WAY more obvious than that 😜

Last edited:

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I gotta bit of push back for naming Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in my All Time Kiwis Top 5.

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to to their own opinions on such a subjective topic.

Some said, Top 10 but not Top 5, not even in the top 10, not even in the Warriors Top 5, not even the best fullback the Warriors have had, to name a few.

A lotta contention there to say the least lol.

Even I had to concede that Benji is possibly keeping him out of my Top 5 atm.

But I also tend to think most Warriors fans have a slightly skewed view because of recency bias & we tend to forget what Roger's impact on the game truly was.

Here's a reminder ...

The debate as to whether or not Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is an All Time Top 5 Kiwi/Warrior will always be up for contention IMO as it's always going to be subjective.

But, here's what I see as fact, in over 40 years of watching both league & union Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the best left foot step I have ever seen, bar none, the way he consistently ghosts top defenders with nonchalant ease & makes them look like they have absolutely no business even attempting to try & tackle him is unequivocally special & completely unique to him.

Combine that with his speed, strength, balance, cardio, skill, timing, energy & heart & he is almost the complete player, all he is missing is top playmaker skills, I believe he actually has those capabilities, but because of his obvious value to other areas of the game he's never really had a consistent opportunity to show it.

I'll finish this off by offering a challenge, show me one other highlights package from any other individual league or union player from any other country in the world that shows something like that 6mins & 45sec of consistent sheer explosive X-Factor wizardry & heart at the elite level & I'll happily concede that I'm possibly overrating the man.

Somehow I don't think I am though.
I think the only guys who could match him for a highlights package would be Shaun Johnson, Greg inglis and Jonah lomu.

Reactions: Stone

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
The last I had read is that it is capped at 90% of your cap has to be spent in that contract year, so you can use 10% of the cap (or roughly 900k) to front load contracts.

Reactions: gREVUS and Defence

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
I think the only guys who could match him for a highlights package would be Shaun Johnson, Greg inglis and Jonah lomu.
Totally agree my bro, exactly the players I thought of when I issued that challenge.

I'd also put The Paekakariki Express, Christian Cullen, in that group.

I still reckon Rodge has the best left foot step I've ever seen though, so fast, so smooth, so deadly.

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings