Player Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Starting a Roger Tuivasa-Sheck dedicated thread so we can follow his career through news, articles and posts. The other signing one has been too far polluted with posts about the Pom.

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/roger-tuivasa-sheck-signing-sam-tomkins-release-discussion.41850

Roosters fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck signs with Warriors for three years
DAVID LONG
Last updated 14:58, April 8 2015
1423618819591.jpg

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has joined the Warriors on a three-year deal and will play for the club from next season, while Sam Tomkins will return to England.

As reported in January, the NZ franchise were interested in bringing the Kiwis and Roosters fullback back to Auckland and they are believed to have paid over $800,000 for his services.

Tuivasa-Sheck will be a like-for-like replacement for Tomkins, who will leave the club a year early having failed to settle in New Zealand.

The Warriors have been trying to help a homesick Tomkins adjust to life in New Zealand, but this hasn't happened and there was a feeling this was affecting his performances.

He'll leave the country at the end of the season and be able to play without any pressure now a decision has been made.

Tomkins showed just how talented he is in the couple of games he played this year before getting injured and it's no coincidence the club's performances dropped away in losses to the Broncos and Storm in the past fortnight.

Tuivasa-Sheck grew up in South Auckland and was nabbed by the Roosters, despite the Warriors also showing strong interest in him.

The 21-year-old won the award for the winger of the year in the NRL last season and has been in stunning form again this year after his switch to fullback, replacing the retired Anthony Minichiello.

In the club's loss to the Sharks last weekend, Tuivasa-Sheck ran for over 300 metres.

The Warriors have been looking to land a marquee signing for a number of months, but missed out on Kieran Foran, Trent Merrin and Jason Taumalolo.

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said the club had reluctantly agreed to allow Tomkins to return to England a year before the end of his contract in 2016, but was delighted to secure Tuivasa-Sheck on a long-term contract.

"He came here excited about testing himself in the NRL and also experiencing living in a new country but, in the end, Sam has found it too much of a challenge being away from home," Doyle said.

"While we have talked with him and tried to work through it he has now come back to us to ask for a release at the end of the season.

"It's disappointing that it has come to this but reluctantly we have accepted there is no option but to allow Sam to return to England.

"For now, though, he is determined to finish his time with the Warriors in the best way he can. He's working to recover from his knee injury as soon as possible so he can regain his spot in the team."

Tomkins thanked the Warriors for their compassionate approach.

"I never imagined it would reach this point," he said.

"This is a great club and I can't say enough about the coaching staff. I love being with the lads and it's a brilliant country to live in but I can only be honest and say I miss home in ways I never thought I would.

"I'm truly grateful to the Warriors for agreeing to give me an early release and I am so determined to repay them for their consideration.

"All I want now is to get back out on the field to help us have a great season."

Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden said making a decision now about Tomkins' future should prove beneficial.

"This has been hanging over Sam at different times and there's no doubt it has affected him," he said.

"Now the way has been cleared and I'm sure he'll excel once again when he comes back from this injury.

"We've seen the quality he provides when he's in the side. He makes a huge difference to the way we play and I know how determined he'll be to contribute over the rest of the season."

While disappointed Tomkins wouldn't be with the club for the full term of his original contract, McFadden was elated about snaring Sydney Roosters star Tuivasa-Sheck.

"He's a wonderful talent and a fantastic signing," he said.

"He's still only 21 and has already made a real mark in the NRL and also for the Kiwis. To be able to bring a New Zealander back to our club from Australia is massive for us.

"While we're naturally thrilled and Roger is just as excited about coming home, we both have the same focus for the rest of the year.

"He's solely interested in doing all he can for the Roosters just as we know Sam wants to do the same for us."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...asa-Sheck-signs-with-Warriors-for-three-years

Reactions: ToiletDuck

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Chris Rattue is a bit butt hurt...

Every few years, usually leading up to a RWC tournament, Rattue would write click bait articles that RTS had already signed or was about to sign, with NZ Rugby.

He probably thought that “earned“ him the right to break this story.

While I’m sad RTS is leaving the club at the end of this season and that I may not see him play at Mt Smart at all this year, that sadness is reduced ever so slightly knowing Rattue wasn’t given the ”exclusive to break the story”.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce and J_P

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Rugby: All Blacks' surprise plan for Warriors star Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, who he'll play for (and who will pay)​

There could be further twists in Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's stunning code switch - including an earlier than expected return to the 15-man code and the All Blacks' surprise plan for the 2018 Dally M medal winner. Liam Napier reports.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck could make his rugby union revival earlier than touted by turning out for Auckland in this year's Mitre 10 Cup provincial season, before joining the Blues in 2022.

There may also be a positional switch on the cards, with the All Blacks said to be privately hopeful Tuivasa-Sheck can progress into a quality midfield option.

Warriors captain and fullback Tuivasa-Sheck will complete this year's NRL season but he is then expected to skip the chance for a swansong with the Kiwis at the Rugby League World Cup, scheduled for October 23 to November 27 in England, in favour of fast tracking his return to the XV-man code he played through high school.

In something of a surprise move, however, the All Blacks are thought to have a desire to develop Tuivasa-Sheck into a midfield option as New Zealand's outside back stocks overflow with talent, while there is a comparative shortage of established midfielders.

Despite interest from the Highlanders and Chiefs, Tuivasa-Sheck is expected to this week complete a two-year agreement to join the Blues from 2022, with terms believed to have been reached.

Tuivasa-Sheck's deal with the Blues will include a significant third-party arrangement that sits outside the New Zealand Super Rugby salary cap.

While managing director Peter Thompson declined to comment when contacted by the Herald, Barfoot and Thompson are thought to be the leading sponsor offering to stump up for Tuivasa-Sheck's third-party payments, which could require a six-figure annual sum.

Beauden Barrett negotiated a similar arrangement when he switched from the Hurricanes to the Blues last year – his third-party deal worth $200,000 to $250,000 per-year which is still paid while he is on sabbatical in Japan this season.

One rival Super Rugby executive told the Herald the third party deals the Blues are able to offer the likes of Tuivasa-Sheck and Barrett through their corporate partners left other Kiwi clubs taking a plastic fork to war in attempting to lure elite talent.

Come 2022, the Blues will field a ridiculously stacked backline that features Barrett, Tuivasa-Sheck, Caleb Clarke and Rieko Ioane. Last year the Blues also made a major play for Hurricanes fullback Jordie Barrett, who again comes off contract following this season.

Tuivasa-Sheck is highly motivated to complete a successful transition back to rugby union which is expected to see him pull on Auckland's blue and white hoops before making his Blues debut next year.

The NRL grand final is scheduled for Sunday, October 3, while the Mitre 10 Cup window is set for September 11 until November 27. That leaves plenty of time for Tuivasa-Sheck to begin his rugby union comeback with Auckland in what should offer a more comfortable stepping stone.

Attending the Rugby League World Cup would, alternatively, involve more time away from family, and having to quarantine for two weeks on arrival home. In this scenario Tuivasa-Sheck would approach his maiden Super Rugby season cold following the Christmas break

Tuivasa-Sheck played rugby union for Otahuhu College first XV and featured alongside fellow former Warrior Ngani Laumape and All Blacks flanker Ardie Savea in the New Zealand schools team.

Yet Tuivasa-Sheck appears to appreciate the sooner he starts his return to rugby, the smoother his transition is likely to be.

To give himself the best possible chance of fulfilling his dream of representing the All Blacks and ultimately making the 2023 World Cup squad, Tuivasa-Sheck could be playing rugby union later this year.

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Right now, I’d happily rip his player of the year photos off the Warriors walls. I really would. It feels like an act of betrayal. - Chris Rattue.

What a twat !!!

If this blowhard click bait git actually tried that bs ... I'd happily rip one right on his chin.

Hypothetically speaking of course ;)

Last edited:

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
While he hasn't "signed" for the All Blacks, he has signed with NZ Rugby even accounting for 3rd party payments surely there will be need to be a top up from NZ rugby to make his pay packet look anything close to what he'd have earned at the Warriors. And sure he's moving for the challenge and not the money, losing 6 figures + from your annual salary where you only have a finite about time to do so is a risky business.

Reactions: Murraytd

gubbbs

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2016
Can't hold it against him. The guys been a hero for us, and held the team together last year at a pretty large personal cost. I feel like this is as much about staying in NZ as it is RWC and code switching. Who knows what 2022 holds, the warriors could easily be based in aus yet again.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
On Rattue's comments. That guy swings from different points of view like crazy.

Auckland's a league town the Warriors are showing the Blues how to go about things. Warriors loose, Blues win one week the Warriors are a mess and should follow how the Blues do things. Either team loses badly or goes on a losing streak they should be burnt to the ground marked as a failure and a new club started without the bad history.

Ripping RTS's contract up or removing awards would be stupid. The club is stuck in Australia which isn't ideal, the player wants to move on to a different code and be based in NZ. That code gives him an opportunity league can't provide and both sides have come to a compromise.

The Warriors have first option on him if he decides to return to league. By then we'd be based in NZ. Being first to negotiate and RTS not having to move is a good negotiating position for the club. He'd be older then so the club might decide to pass but at least they get the option.

He might decide to come back early as well. Best for both sides to not to burn bridges.

Last edited:

STEEDEN

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Auckland

NZ Rugby confirms Blues, Auckland deal for Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.​

The Warriors captain said he'd been thinking for some time about a move to rugby.
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has signed a two-year deal with New Zealand Rugby (NZR) and aligned with the Blues and Auckland.
NZR confirmed Tuivasa-Sheck’s contract on Saturday and the Blues will hold a press conference this morning.
The Warriors captain will switch to rugby after the 2021 NRL season and has signed with NZR through to the end of 2023.
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will join the Blues in 2022.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will join the Blues in 2022.

“It has been a dream of mine for a long time to one day play rugby union again, to get this opportunity with New Zealand Rugby, the Blues and Auckland is exciting,” he said in a statement.
“The timing feels right to do this now. That said, I have a big year ahead of me and will turn my attention to this opportunity later in the year.”

Tuivasa-Sheck’s move to rugby was confirmed last Saturday and the rugby league star is hoping to make the All Blacks ahead of the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France.
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck playing rugby for Otahuhu College’s First XV in 2011.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
Don't you just love the perennial Warrior bashers coming out with their opinions in the NZ press. Union is going to be the making of him...wasted at the Warriors etc, Go to hell, comment on your own game (perhaps you have a modicum of knowledge about it) and all it's in-built school and old boy development advantages.
Good on you Roger for making he call, no issue there. And thanks for your extensive efforts, but at the end of the year... off you go and very best of luck in your new venture. Next....!

Wonder what hindsight wisdom the rah rah press is going to move onto next with the boys? They remain shit scared of Warriors success and continue to fight it tooth and nail at all costs.
Boo-hoo.

Stalefush540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Don't you just love the perennial Warrior bashers coming out with their opinions in the NZ press. Union is going to be the making of him...wasted at the Warriors etc, Go to hell, comment on your own game (perhaps you have a modicum of knowledge about it) and all it's in-built school and old boy development advantages.
Good on you Roger for making he call, no issue there. And thanks for your extensive efforts, but at the end of the year... off you go and very best of luck in your new venture. Next....!

Wonder what hindsight wisdom the rah rah press is going to move onto next with the boys? They remain shit scared of Warriors success and continue to fight it tooth and nail at all costs.
Boo-hoo.
Not doubting your opinion as I havn't lived in NZ for a decade, so you're likely correct. But are they really shit scared of Warriors success? I mean we have been deadly unsuccessful for a very long time.

Reactions: matiunz

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Rugby league: NRL star Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's private message to Warriors teammates - and how he kept his promise​

Three games into the NRL season, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has already kept his promise to the Warriors.

When it was announced in January that the fullback would be switching to rugby union in 2022, the reaction was mixed.

While most pundits and fans were supportive, some questioned if he should remain, while others wondered if he would have the same desire this year, given the unusual circumstances.

But in every interview Tuivasa-Sheck stated he was fully committed for the season, determined to finish on a high note.

Privately, he gave a similar message to his teammates; he was solely focussed on NRL success with them, and would be doing everything he could, on and off the field, to achieve it.

There would be no coasting, no sense of getting through the campaign in third gear, before disappearing to chase his long held All Blacks dream.

But some fans were rightly concerned. Would Tuivasa-Sheck be the same player?

We've seen it before. Players make a momentous decision to switch clubs or codes and mentally check out. Suddenly the output isn't quite what it was, even if it's just the result of a slight drop in standards.

Remember James Maloney?

He was a revelation in his first two seasons at Mt Smart and a key figure in the charge to the 2011 Grand Final. But he was never the same player for the Warriors after he agreed terms with the Roosters in early 2012, lacking the impact of previous years.

It was always hoped that Tuivasa-Sheck was going to be different and the early part of the season has borne that out, capped by his stunning display on Saturday in the improbable 34-31 win over the Raiders.

There were many heroes, from young centre Adam Pompey, rookie halfback Sean O'Sullivan, elusive five eighth Kodi Nikorima, workaholic back rower Tohu Harris and the entire forward pack.

But no one was more important that Tuivasa-Sheck. In the second half he inspired the team to new levels through sheer force of will, as well as his brilliant play.

He was everywhere, but always where he needed to be, and a constant menace.

"There must be four or five of him out there at the moment," said the Fox Sports commentator during the final quarter.

Tuivasa-Sheck came to the fore when it mattered most, handling the ball 14 times in the last 15 minutes.

He was running, offloading and stepping and anticipated a brilliant ball from Tohu Harris for the try that closed the deficit to three points.

But the defining moment came in the 75th minute, with Canberra ahead 31-28.

Tuivasa-Sheck was penalised for a mid-air tackle, a bizarre bunker decision completely against the spirit of the law.

He was incredulous, momentarily directing his frustration towards the referee. That gifted the Raiders possession deep in Warriors territory with 4:40 on the clock, and could have been game over.

That's a horrible feeling, especially for the skipper, but Tuivasa-Sheck showed profound mental strength to quickly clear his head and refocus.

The Warriors got the ball back with just over three minutes to play, 95 metres from the Raiders try line.

Tuivasa-Sheck took the third hit up, stepping out of traffic, before offloading to Bunty Afoa for a significant gain.

He was involved again in the next play, committing defenders before another offload, putting Kodi Nikorima in half a hole.

As the Raiders scrambled, Nikorima won a set re-start and less than 30 seconds later Adam Pompey crashed over near the left-hand corner, to seemingly win the game.

But there was one more twist, as the Raiders' short kick-off was measured perfectly. Who was competing for it? Tuivasa-Sheck of course, though he was out-jumped, giving Canberra possession.

Four plays later came one of the greatest try saving efforts in NRL history, as Tuivasa-Sheck sprinted half the width of the field, before a desperate dive, somehow jolting the ball out of Jordan Rapana's grasp centimetres above the ground.

What a curtain call.

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
Was just rewatching the Manly game and saw the tackle by RTS on Walker where he pulled his pants down.

How many players in the NRL would immediately pull the shorts back up to cover the opponent’s rear end? Most would pull them down further but not our RTS

In my view it showed the true character of RTS

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Was just rewatching the Manly game and saw the tackle by RTS on Walker where he pulled his pants down.

How many players in the NRL would immediately pull the shorts back up to cover the opponent’s rear end? Most would pull them down further but not our RTS

In my view it showed the true character of RTS
Yes, a true gentleman.

Jimmy Maloney would have thrown his shorts into the crowd (and been penalised for it if playing for the Warriors, but gotten away with it if playing for any of his other clubs).

Hopoate would have......well we all know what Hopoate would have done.

Melbourne Storm Central Coast Stadium, Gosford Rate Match

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.5 Total Avg Rating
5.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings