Player Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Starting a Roger Tuivasa-Sheck dedicated thread so we can follow his career through news, articles and posts. The other signing one has been too far polluted with posts about the Pom.

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/roger-tuivasa-sheck-signing-sam-tomkins-release-discussion.41850

Roosters fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck signs with Warriors for three years
DAVID LONG
Last updated 14:58, April 8 2015
1423618819591.jpg

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has joined the Warriors on a three-year deal and will play for the club from next season, while Sam Tomkins will return to England.

As reported in January, the NZ franchise were interested in bringing the Kiwis and Roosters fullback back to Auckland and they are believed to have paid over $800,000 for his services.

Tuivasa-Sheck will be a like-for-like replacement for Tomkins, who will leave the club a year early having failed to settle in New Zealand.

The Warriors have been trying to help a homesick Tomkins adjust to life in New Zealand, but this hasn't happened and there was a feeling this was affecting his performances.

He'll leave the country at the end of the season and be able to play without any pressure now a decision has been made.

Tomkins showed just how talented he is in the couple of games he played this year before getting injured and it's no coincidence the club's performances dropped away in losses to the Broncos and Storm in the past fortnight.

Tuivasa-Sheck grew up in South Auckland and was nabbed by the Roosters, despite the Warriors also showing strong interest in him.

The 21-year-old won the award for the winger of the year in the NRL last season and has been in stunning form again this year after his switch to fullback, replacing the retired Anthony Minichiello.

In the club's loss to the Sharks last weekend, Tuivasa-Sheck ran for over 300 metres.

The Warriors have been looking to land a marquee signing for a number of months, but missed out on Kieran Foran, Trent Merrin and Jason Taumalolo.

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said the club had reluctantly agreed to allow Tomkins to return to England a year before the end of his contract in 2016, but was delighted to secure Tuivasa-Sheck on a long-term contract.

"He came here excited about testing himself in the NRL and also experiencing living in a new country but, in the end, Sam has found it too much of a challenge being away from home," Doyle said.

"While we have talked with him and tried to work through it he has now come back to us to ask for a release at the end of the season.

"It's disappointing that it has come to this but reluctantly we have accepted there is no option but to allow Sam to return to England.

"For now, though, he is determined to finish his time with the Warriors in the best way he can. He's working to recover from his knee injury as soon as possible so he can regain his spot in the team."

Tomkins thanked the Warriors for their compassionate approach.

"I never imagined it would reach this point," he said.

"This is a great club and I can't say enough about the coaching staff. I love being with the lads and it's a brilliant country to live in but I can only be honest and say I miss home in ways I never thought I would.

"I'm truly grateful to the Warriors for agreeing to give me an early release and I am so determined to repay them for their consideration.

"All I want now is to get back out on the field to help us have a great season."

Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden said making a decision now about Tomkins' future should prove beneficial.

"This has been hanging over Sam at different times and there's no doubt it has affected him," he said.

"Now the way has been cleared and I'm sure he'll excel once again when he comes back from this injury.

"We've seen the quality he provides when he's in the side. He makes a huge difference to the way we play and I know how determined he'll be to contribute over the rest of the season."

While disappointed Tomkins wouldn't be with the club for the full term of his original contract, McFadden was elated about snaring Sydney Roosters star Tuivasa-Sheck.

"He's a wonderful talent and a fantastic signing," he said.

"He's still only 21 and has already made a real mark in the NRL and also for the Kiwis. To be able to bring a New Zealander back to our club from Australia is massive for us.

"While we're naturally thrilled and Roger is just as excited about coming home, we both have the same focus for the rest of the year.

"He's solely interested in doing all he can for the Roosters just as we know Sam wants to do the same for us."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...asa-Sheck-signs-with-Warriors-for-three-years

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I can’t believe some people are angry at this move. The guy has poured his heart and soul into this club, and as done everything in his power to guide us to higher honours.

He’s done everything in rugby league, he’s said it’s always interested him to return to union (which he played growing up), and the pandemic had probably made him fast forward his decisions re being away from family, and the solidity Nz rugby will provide in that sense.

He’s not getting any younger and wingers in union usually start to decline 25 onwards traditionally. This is legitimately his last opportunity. Personally, I back him. But he’s going to have to do a fuck load of work to beat some of those in that all blacks backline. He’s got the talent and the work ethic, and I back him.

those who are angry, don’t be so bloody selfish. Let the man do his thing. Disappointed I get, angry, I don’t. This will also free up over a million dollars to further build upon our roster or to re-sign some of our talent coming through.

for me though, this now makes the Hughes rumour even more solid. It’s a straight swap. Although he’s been playing 7, his ability at fullback is there & was only pushed to 7 for lack of depth and papenhuyzens presence. He’s no Roger, but he’s probably the best fullback on the market. Worst case, we push one of our young guns back there, or hiku, and use the money to buy a class halfback or hooker to strengthen the spine and support the young gun.

we will be just fine. Our recruitment has been on point, in terms of targets and signings. Brown and tino are now some of the best young talents In the game, pos identified this years ago. We’re chasing the right players and with a solid squad, coaching staff, management, and over a million in cash, I’m confident we will land a quality replacement.
Has sheck won a world cup with the kiwis?

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
He had a player option for next year which he could have declined anyway.

From what I understand he asked for permission to talk to the NZRU which has enabled it to be resolved before the season began. Otherwise this would have been a distraction all season.

We’ve also got first dibs on him if he comes back to the NRL. The club have done ok with this release as opposed to the Johnson debacle.

JP_576

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
It is a difficult thing for the Club but at least they have time to plan.
In all honesty I don't think it's that much of a negative given the timing. A lot of us thought he was gonna leave last year so this year is already a bonus. The clubs looking a lot more balanced in the forwards now and him leaving may free up some valuable cap space for the backs. Hopefully this season in camp together a lot of the young players soak up knowledge from RTS.
A lot of negative people in here when just last year people were praising him for his sacrifice. Have we forgot that He was the only player without any family over in OZ for most of the season. He could have easily returned back home to be with his young kids and been paid out for the season and then left on bad terms stuffing the club up

enterthewarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 9, 2013
Good luck to him i say. He probably had enough playing for the Warriors. Shouldn't be a hard transition for him into union in terms of skills and stuff, just needs to learn the rules and stuff. Not a matter of if but when he will make the All Blacks team.

Reactions: JP_576

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Agree with Gizzyfan. The Warriors have no legal position that would allow them to force NZR to buy out RTS' contract. NZR would only agree to that if the contract ended now and RTS left teh Warriors now. Only NZR would gain from that situation, the Warriors would be scrambling to find a solid, dependable FB for 2021.

Stupid post. How about try assists as a stat to consider or is it just the actual scoring of points that thrill you
Why's it stupid? I was just responing to brightman's post. Maybe we're both overly thrilled with points scoring.

Wikipedia certainly don't care about try assists as a stat. Can't find those there and wasn't going to waste time looking up nrlstats.com or whatever it calls itself.

Just think Shaun's over-rated, that's all. My argument based on the undeniable fact that the Sharks were making the finals regularly before SJ arrived. My facts-based argument ends and dies there. In the same way people on here derided LH for being "jack of all trades, master of none". Yes, that's true, he was never regarded as 1st Choice Anything (1st Choice 14 doesn't count). For me, that doesn't take away from him being a really good, solid player when called upon.

Reactions: JP_576

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
I wonder how many of the new players have signed on to the Warriors, knowing RTS is the fullback and captain.

Will this put a huge spanner in the works with these players and maybe others having to dig deep during the season and following a captain who will be jumping ship at seasons end...

Should RTS be captain or will he last the season as the captain?

No... not good timing IMO!

Reactions: Noitall and Sup42

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Disappointed to be losing a player & leader of RTS's caliber, but you can't knock a person for chasing their dreams.

My only concern would be, if RTS is aiming for an AB's spot in the next RWC what kind of role does he see himself playing ???

Because as good as RTS is I just can't see him supplanting any of the current AB's for a starting spot ATM.

If RTS does get any kind of crack at fullback it'll only be when Beauden Barret is at five eight or not on the pitch.

And the AB's already have a hot-stepper at their disposal who can cover fullback in Damian McKenzie.

Maybe RTS can slot in as an impact player off the bench that can cover multiple positions ???

Not trying to be negative, but as most of us already know, the depth of talent in NZ Union is next level, especially in the outside backs.

And although RTS is only 27 that's ancient when compared to the likes of Jordie Barret (23) Reiko Ioane (23) Will Jordan (22) Caleb Clarke (21) etc.

Even experienced second five/inside center Anton Lienart-Brown who's nearly played 50 tests is only 25.

And none of that is even taking in to consideration the elite young talent coming through at the academy.

So with that in mind, I just can't see RTS cracking that squad other than being some kind of bench/impact type player, especially this late in his career.

Definitely has the talent, work ethic & self belief to prove any doubters wrong though, myself included.

Anyways ... all the best to you RTS ... here's hoping you're able to make the jump armed with being the first NZ Warriors skip to win a premiership.

That'd be the NZ sports story of the decade without doubt.

I can just about guarantee that he has had these conversations with the movers and shakers in NZ Rugby. Personally I think his best development back in Union would be NPC-Super-lets see.

People tend to forget that SBW had a season of Union in France before playing in NZ.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Triple M were a bit douchey about it over the weekend, kept saying ‘signed for the all blacks’ which is factually incorrect, the annoying one though “can’t blame him though, it’s not like he’s going to win anything at the Warriors” sure it might be true but the disdain just gets tiresome

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
A bit of hindsight I know but I'd say we are lucky he is here for 2021. Looks like the rumours for him wanting to move for 2021 and the club being based in Australia not being ideal were likely correct.

The release for next year was likely the compromise to give the club time to sort out a replacement instead of having him leave last season and they would of been left to find a replacement for him along with the guys they already recruited to strengthen the squad.

If he left for this season he would of been based at home and it would of added another year to his transition time. If is aiming for the world cup another year would of helped with his transition.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Triple M were a bit douchey about it over the weekend, kept saying ‘signed for the all blacks’ which is factually incorrect, the annoying one though “can’t blame him though, it’s not like he’s going to win anything at the Warriors” sure it might be true but the disdain just gets tiresome
Seen that a bit over the years. Seen the Aussie scribes also say they signed with the Wallabies.

Those sides might be the end result as playing Super Rugby wouldn't be much of an appeal compared to the NRL. If league had a more appealing international set up it would help keep some of the guys from switching. The NRL only have themselves to blame, not that they would be too worried.

Reactions: matiunz

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
I know a lot of Kiwi league fans who are at odds with all the good will that is now shown to our captain of NZ's only NRL team and his decision to switch codes... mostly because we can't stand Union for various countless reasons!
Nothing personal Rodge, It's just how it is!

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Could play for Samoa at the RWC if he doesnt crack the All Blacks?

Im interested to see how he goes in Rugby, he is definitely going to give it a good crack with his work ethic and discipline, all the best to him!

Looking at the Blues squad this year, maybe he could get an Aussie rules kicking coach as well if he wants a shot at fullback. Center doesn't look like an option either unless you move Ioane in 1 spot and the Blues are stacked with wingers.

2021 Blues Squad

Midfield:
TJ Faiane (Auckland)
Rieko Ioane (Auckland)
Tanielu Tele’a (Auckland).

Outside backs:
Caleb Clarke (Auckland)
AJ Lam (Auckland)
Jone Macilai-Tori (Northland)
Emoni Narawa (Bay of Plenty)
Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens (Taranaki)
Zarn Sullivan (Auckland)
Mark Telea (Tasman)

Crusaders would have been a better development option for him but I suppose he wants to stay in Auckland.

Last edited:

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings