Recruitment Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Signing & Sam Tomkins Release Discussion

Reaction score
Apus

Apus

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Disappointing that Tomkins wants out, but I'd rather a player that genuinely wants to be here, over forcing Tomkins to see out his deal any day of the week.

Now lets just hope that Politis doesn't get RTS to renege before June 30.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

I will admit that from day one I have been skeptical about Tomkins.

I don't believe that he was worth the money, nor do I believe that he has lived up to his hype.

I wouldn't be surprised if he perhaps he has found it too difficult?

He has plaed well on occasions and certainly has seemed central to our attack planning... but in all honesty, RTS is (in my opinion) a superior player.

Welcome home Roger.

Reaction score
Hitman82

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He'll leave the country at the end of the season and be able to play without any pressure now a decision has been made.
Aside from the pressure to perform and win... you'd hope. Haha.

RTS is a better player in my view. Younger, harder, probably a better long term option being a Kiwi. Plus the side bonus of having another Kiwis spine player alongside Johnson. Melbourne Storm style rep links - always good for combinations.

Reaction score

Jordan G

Signing RTS and losing Tomkins would be bitter sweet but acceptable.

Losing Tomkins and having RTS renege before June 30 would be a disaster

Signing RTS and keeping Tomkins would create the most delicious tears from opposing fans imaginable.

Reaction score

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Where can I find this press conference?

Reaction score
Apus

Apus

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Seems like it's going to be on RadioSport whenever it starts.

Reaction score
InsideBall

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a stream of the conference/where to listen?

Reaction score
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Excited... But very dissapointed in Tomkins and the lies from Cappy last week and Tomkins about being open to extending his stay in NZ only a few weeks ago...
Cappy said Sam would not be leaving this year.

Reaction score
Dixpat

Dixpat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just been officially announce

Double fullback announcement

The Vodafone Warriors have today announced fullback Sam Tomkins is to be granted an early release from his contract while also confirming Kiwi international Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has signed a three-year deal from next season.

Vodafone Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said the club had reluctantly agreed to allow Tomkins (26) to return to England a year before the end of his contract in 2016 but it was delighted to secure Sydney Roosters star Tuivasa-Sheck on a long-term contract.

Doyle said while Tomkins was still enjoying his time with the Vodafone Warriors and living in New Zealand he has cited homesickness as an ongoing factor.

“He came here excited about testing himself in the NRL and also experiencing living in a new country but, in the end, Sam has found it too much of a challenge being away from home,” said Doyle.

“While we have talked with him and tried to work through it he has now come back to us to ask for a release at the end of the season.

“It’s disappointing that it has come to this but reluctantly we have accepted there is no option but to allow Sam to return to England.

“For now, though, he is determined to finish his time with the Vodafone Warriors in the best way he can. He’s working to recover from his knee injury as soon as possible so he can regain his spot in the team.”

Tomkins thanked the Vodafone Warriors for their compassionate approach.

“I never imagined it would reach this point,” he said.

“This is a great club and I can’t say enough about the coaching staff. I love being with the lads and it’s a brilliant country to live in but I can only be honest and say I miss home in ways I never thought I would.

“I’m truly grateful to the Vodafone Warriors for agreeing to give me an early release and I am so determined to repay them for their consideration. All I want now is to get back out on the field to help us have a great season.”

Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden said making a decision now about Tomkins’ future should prove beneficial.
“This has been hanging over Sam at different times and there’s no doubt it has affected him,” he said.

“Now the way has been cleared and I’m sure he’ll excel once again when he comes back from this injury.

“We’ve seen the quality he provides when he’s in the side. He makes a huge difference to the way we play and I know how determined he’ll be to contribute over the rest of the season.”

While disappointed Tomkins wouldn’t be with the club for the full term of his original contract, McFadden was elated about snaring Sydney Roosters star Tuivasa-Sheck.

“He’s a wonderful talent and a fantastic signing,” he said.

“He’s still only 21 and has already made a real mark in the NRL and also for the Kiwis. To be able to bring a New Zealander back to our club from Australia is massive for us.

“While we’re naturally thrilled and Roger is just as excited about coming home, we both have the same focus for the rest of the year. He’s solely interested in doing all he can for the Roosters just as we know Sam wants to do the same for us.”

Apia-born, Auckland-raised Tuivasa-Sheck, an Otahuhu College product, was in the Roosters’ NRL premiership-winning side in 2013 and also played in the Rugby League World Cup final for the Kiwis the same year. He was named the 2013 Dally M Winger of the Year.

Reaction score
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don't believe that he was worth the money, nor do I believe that he has lived up to his hype.
While you are correct to some extent, its hard to faulter how well Tomkins has played in his short spell with the Warriors.

He's not the flashiest player on the pitch, but his best quality is his unselfishness. He makes the players around him look better, and when we have a backline fill of players who can finish off plays among the best of them, it really emphasizes the value Tomkins has had on our team. The other facets of his game (positional play, ability under the high ball, last line of defense) have all improved immensely since he first kitted a Warriors jersey.

Tomkins hype was built around his paycheck and a lack of knowledge about the style he played before he arrived. Tomkins style complements our team well, and we will have to completely gut and re-shape our gameplan if he does leave 1 year early.

But, when his replacement is someone of the caliber of RTS, it'll hard to be disappointed for too long.

Reaction score
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
And can you say Hell Yeah ? Cool and now this on official Vodaphone Warriors Website :

Club makes double fullback announcement
Richard Becht

Wed 8th April, 11:03AM

The Vodafone Warriors have today announced fullback Sam Tomkins is to be granted an early release from his contract while also confirming Kiwi international Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has signed a three-year deal from next season.

Vodafone Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said the club had reluctantly agreed to allow Tomkins (26) to return to England a year before the end of his contract in 2016 but it was delighted to secure Sydney Roosters star Tuivasa-Sheck on a long-term contract.

Doyle said while Tomkins was still enjoying his time with the Vodafone Warriors and living in New Zealand he has cited homesickness as an ongoing factor.

“He came here excited about testing himself in the NRL and also experiencing living in a new country but, in the end, Sam has found it too much of a challenge being away from home,” said Doyle.

“While we have talked with him and tried to work through it he has now come back to us to ask for a release at the end of the season.

“It’s disappointing that it has come to this but reluctantly we have accepted there is no option but to allow Sam to return to England.

“For now, though, he is determined to finish his time with the Vodafone Warriors in the best way he can. He’s working to recover from his knee injury as soon as possible so he can regain his spot in the team.”

Tomkins thanked the Vodafone Warriors for their compassionate approach.

“I never imagined it would reach this point,” he said.

“This is a great club and I can’t say enough about the coaching staff. I love being with the lads and it’s a brilliant country to live in but I can only be honest and say I miss home in ways I never thought I would.

“I’m truly grateful to the Vodafone Warriors for agreeing to give me an early release and I am so determined to repay them for their consideration. All I want now is to get back out on the field to help us have a great season.”

Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden said making a decision now about Tomkins’ future should prove beneficial.

“This has been hanging over Sam at different times and there’s no doubt it has affected him,” he said.

“Now the way has been cleared and I’m sure he’ll excel once again when he comes back from this injury.

“We’ve seen the quality he provides when he’s in the side. He makes a huge difference to the way we play and I know how determined he’ll be to contribute over the rest of the season.”

While disappointed Tomkins wouldn’t be with the club for the full term of his original contract, McFadden was elated about snaring Sydney Roosters star Tuivasa-Sheck.

“He’s a wonderful talent and a fantastic signing,” he said.

“He’s still only 21 and has already made a real mark in the NRL and also for the Kiwis. To be able to bring a New Zealander back to our club from Australia is massive for us.

“While we’re naturally thrilled and Roger is just as excited about coming home, we both have the same focus for the rest of the year. He’s solely interested in doing all he can for the Roosters just as we know Sam wants to do the same for us.”

Apia-born, Auckland-raised Tuivasa-Sheck, an Otahuhu College product, was in the Roosters’ NRL premiership-winning side in 2013 and also played in the Rugby League World Cup final for the Kiwis the same year. He was named the 2013 Dally M Winger of the Year.

ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK

Date of Birth: June 05, 1993

Birthplace: Apia, Samoa

Junior Club: Otahuhu Leopards (Auckland)

Position: Fullback/Wing

Height: 182cm

Weight: 93kg

Rep Honours: 6 Tests for Kiwis 2013-2014, World Cup 2013

NRL Debut: Sydney Roosters v Gold Coast, Allianz Stadium, July 27, 2012 (Round 21)

NRL Career: 62 appearances, 2012-2015

NRL Points: 72 (18 tries)

Secondary School: Otahuhu College (Auckland)

Edit : Shit beaten to it by Dixpat. Sorry Dixpat.

Reaction score
RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The confirmation of RTS signing and Tomkins release in on Warriors website. Doh! beat me to it!

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Excited... But very dissapointed in Tomkins and the lies from Cappy last week and Tomkins about being open to extending his stay in NZ only a few weeks ago...

Welcome to Pro Sport.

It's no different than a CEO coming out in support of an under performing coach - It normally means "You're done"

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how the Warriors are offensively next year, given Tomkins is practically a linchpin in our offensive gameplan. Its debatable on who's the better fullback since they play such a contrasting style. Having Tomkins at fullback has done wonders for our structured offence. Tuivasa-Sheck isn't quite the distributer that Tomkins is, but our team as a whole has improved so much in this regard since Elliot first signed that I don't think he'll need to be.

Could this be one of the reasons behind why Johnson is being slowly edged into playing dual sides? Having both Johnson and Tuivasa-Sheck probing around the whole field has me salivating.

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Unfortunately we have shown how much we rely on Tomkins.

Although that is a good thing when he is on the park, the results speak for themselves when he is off it.

Obviously gutted to see him go, but a back line that doesn't rely on sweeping plays for every attacking movement is better suited for us now that it appears our forward pack is capable of running right up the guts through ANY opposition.

Much better to go through a team than around.

Reaction score
Est95

Est95

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I congratulate the club on going after a decent replacement. We've been linked with Tuivasa-scheck for a while now so obviously Sam has been hinting at leaving early, and the club has been on the front foot and proactive about finding a replacement. As sad as it is to see Tomkins go, who better to replace him with then Roger? Can't be unhappy with that

Top Bottom