Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Missed the news tonight.
Any updates on how the negotiations are progressing.

FB_IMG_1700294741913.jpg

I get trying to get as many people as possible to vote.
Election day registration seems to be a huge problem with the results being delayed.
Sorry if you haven't bothered to register until Election day bad luck.
I heard a political scientist on the radio this last week and he said that publicly, parties on the left of politics say that people should be given the democratic opportunity to "participate in the election process" right up to the last moment. Privately, they don't want it changed as it's historically been the university cities like Wellington and Dunedin where students enroll at the last minute and in South and West Auckland.... which are all fill of seats which generally vote left. Getting rid of Election Day registrations would effect the Greens and Labour party votes more than centre right party votes.

I heard a political scientist on the radio this last week and he said that publicly, parties on the left of politics say that people should be given the democratic opportunity to "participate in the election process" right up to the last moment. Privately, they don't want it changed as it's historically been the university cities like Wellington and Dunedin where students enroll at the last minute and in South and West Auckland.... which are all fill of seats which generally vote left. Getting rid of Election Day registrations would effect the Greens and Labour party votes more than centre right party votes.
Quite ironic that our Uni students are among last to make up their minds on voting positions when most of our pollies are ex uni students

The University students taking ages to register makes sense in that they are young and likely partying when they aren't at Uni or studying.

On the flip side to that how often do you see news articles or media reports where there is a University student that is lecturing people on the state of the country, a particular issue. Or other things where the politicians don't see the big picture that they do .

It's likely the majority fit in to my first point and the loud ones have already registered.

I heard a political scientist on the radio this last week and he said that publicly, parties on the left of politics say that people should be given the democratic opportunity to "participate in the election process" right up to the last moment. Privately, they don't want it changed as it's historically been the university cities like Wellington and Dunedin where students enroll at the last minute and in South and West Auckland.... which are all fill of seats which generally vote left. Getting rid of Election Day registrations would affect the Greens and Labour party votes more than centre right party votes.
As Willie Jackson said democracy has changed!

- Only country in the world with last minute voting
- Trying to bring in 16 year old voting
- Denied Tauranga local elections after a term of commissioners
- Mahuta trying to entrench policy requiring 60% to overturn
- Disproportionate Maori wards in Rotorua stopped by Labours own attorney general
- uncampaigned on co-governance changes

There is usual political games but a lot of the hate towards Labour is because they have screwed with Democracy and tried to force long term unchangable rules in their favour.

Even with what Brownlee says is happening, I would have thought a ceasefire would be what’s being called for to at least get aid into the Palestinian people. As acting PM, Hipkins called for a ceasefire since the incoming government has been silent on the issue since likening hamas attack on Israel to the holocaust. Although just because NZ says a ceasefire is necessary doesn’t mean it will happen, it’s generally hoped a world wide chorus sends a message to put pressure for some sort of resolution to assist those innocent in the conflict.

Wonder which of the 3 is getting bent over the negotiating table this time..
The Wylie old fox, I ran an airline or maybe the Rogernomics throwback.
Oh well could be back to the polls people....

We have likely had 3 party coalitions in the past. The usual roadblock is Winston.

If he is this hard to negotiate with when there is only one major party imagine what went on behind the scenes when he had both major parties negotiating with him. More what he would have been willing to ask for or either party willing to give him.

I like MMP in how you can vote for a local MP who may be different to the overall party you'd prefer. Compared to FPP which I recall was vote for you MP which helped the party overall. I might be wrong on that as it was a long time ago and I may have only voted once under that system.

I'm interested to see how things work once Winston is out of the picture and if things work any easier. He could have set a bad example as a lot of the minor parties have some unrealistic bottom lines which wouldn't work in negotiating anywhere else if one side has 30-40% and you have 5%. But politics is it's own beast.

We have likely had 3 party coalitions in the past. The usual roadblock is Winston.

If he is this hard to negotiate with when there is only one major party imagine what went on behind the scenes when he had both major parties negotiating with him. More what he would have been willing to ask for or either party willing to give him.

I like MMP in how you can vote for a local MP who may be different to the overall party you'd prefer. Compared to FPP which I recall was vote for you MP which helped the party overall. I might be wrong on that as it was a long time ago and I may have only voted once under that system.

I'm interested to see how things work once Winston is out of the picture and if things work any easier. He could have set a bad example as a lot of the minor parties have some unrealistic bottom lines which wouldn't work in negotiating anywhere else if one side has 30-40% and you have 5%. But politics is it's own beast.
"Let's take our country back. From me!" -Winnie

Back