General Returning to Mt Smart

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016
They are planning for a Round 16 home game and to sell 2021 memberships...

Heeeeell yes. Best birthday present I could ask for.

Do you know if that's based on any inside information from the clubs perspective, or more that they're assuming a bubble of sorts will be open by then?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Heeeeell yes. Best birthday present I could ask for.

Do you know if that's based on any inside information from the clubs perspective, or more that they're assuming a bubble of sorts will be open by then?
No idea sorry.

Was just told by the club that thats what they are planning. I guess its more based on optimisim and if they dont start planning now they wont have time to plan ahead for one if the bubble is opened...

Reactions: zaggo

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
Has there been any more word on us returning to Mt Smart for the July 2nd game against the Dragons? Anyone know how plausible this is looking?

Mods please let me know if this is being discussed in another thread...

Reactions: bruce and zaggo

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Unlikely.

They will need two exemptions to even go there...or they would be extremely fool hardy to risk the Warriors and their opponents from returning to Australia quarantine free.

The NRL needs an agreement that should the borders close while the teams are in NZ, that they can be exempt and return quarantine free.

After that, everything else is noise.

Jacinda Adern was rejected when she attempted to get the West Island bogans to commit to a trans national agreement.

The south pacific yanks opted to run the bubble on the states model and therefore consign NZs sovereign partnership to NZ being another state of Australia without special priority.

Advance Austraya Fairies.

Therefore Vlandys needs to talk to NSW and QLD health ministries.

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016
The Breakers are returning to NZ for a few games at the tail-end of their season (late May) so I don't think there's any government regulation stopping them.

I also read that some Warriors staff are returning temporarily during our bye week, and whilst that obviously isn't the same as players coming back it does suggest some confidence within the organisation that the bubble is robust enough that we won't end up missing half our back-office team.

I'm not quite willing to stake the house on it but I'd be surprised at this stage if we weren't playing the July 2 game at Mt Smart.

Reactions: bruce

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
The Breakers are returning to NZ for a few games at the tail-end of their season (late May) so I don't think there's any government regulation stopping them.

I also read that some Warriors staff are returning temporarily during our bye week, and whilst that obviously isn't the same as players coming back it does suggest some confidence within the organisation that the bubble is robust enough that we won't end up missing half our back-office team.

I'm not quite willing to stake the house on it but I'd be surprised at this stage if we weren't playing the July 2 game at Mt Smart.
There is nothing stopping travel.

The issue is if the borders close in an outbreak and teams are forced to do quarantine to get back into Australia.

That is what is at risk.

Whether you can rely on officials, without an agreement in place, to suddenly give an exemption to two sports teams, as a border closure is live.

The obviious thing needed here is a pre arrangement.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
There has to be an exemption otherwise we could not come back for years right? Victoria gave an AFL team exemption from the recebt Perth lockdown. They just had to go into a bubble but could still train and play

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
There has to be an exemption otherwise we could not come back for years right? Victoria gave an AFL team exemption from the recebt Perth lockdown. They just had to go into a bubble but could still train and play
Not years no.

The current situation is for this year only.

Countries will be more robust when the Vaccine roll outs hit over seventy five percent of the population.

That is scheduled to be by the end of this year for both countries.

The Crossing between countries is a little trickier than from Perth to another state in Australia.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done, and in principle I would support it now. If you had of asked me months ago, I was vehemently opposed.

However both countries have demonstrated they can contact trace their way out of outbreaks now that they have the experience (a shared experience, Aussie and NZ talk Covid daily).

Perhaps when the mass roll out is really pumping there might be a window later in the year to do this.

Certainly if we could go more than just a few weeks without Covid in both countries it would be easier to set up.

But we cannot.

Neither Aussie nor NZ are covid free at the same time for any reassuring length of time.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Agree with Sup42 Sup42 on most issues.

It would take a 100% Government guarantee that both teams can return regardless of the border situation. Not impossible if they are happy to roll out the red carpet for the Wiggles but setting precedents is never easy.

Personally if I was running the NRL I wouldn't risk it. As great as it would be to have a home game you are risking the whole competition having two teams potentially locked down here if worse case scenario eventuates. You also have to factor in the Australian Government and State Government side of things.

The risk to broadcasting revenues too huge a risk IMO.

If it does happen its going to be such a crazy event and one that will rival the intensity of the first game in 1995. Complete sell out that should give the England v MMT Semi Final attendance a run for its money. The club will be desperate for the cash injection.

Also be the first time our Aussie recruits will set foot on Mt Smart as locals and Walsh's first time in NZ...

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
Agree with Sup42 Sup42 on most issues.

It would take a 100% Government guarantee that both teams can return regardless of the border situation. Not impossible if they are happy to roll out the red carpet for the Wiggles but setting precedents is never easy.

Personally if I was running the NRL I wouldn't risk it. As great as it would be to have a home game you are risking the whole competition having two teams potentially locked down here if worse case scenario eventuates. You also have to factor in the Australian Government and State Government side of things.

The risk to broadcasting revenues too huge a risk IMO.

If it does happen its going to be such a crazy event and one that will rival the intensity of the first game in 1995. Complete sell out that should give the England v MMT Semi Final attendance a run for its money. The club will be desperate for the cash injection.

Also be the first time our Aussie recruits will set foot on Mt Smart as locals and Walsh's first time in NZ...
Just imagining your last sentence has put a smile on my face. I will attend the first home game rain or shine.
Btw how does Aussie and their state politics work? I would think the actual government can override individual states?

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Problem is Neve likes the Wiggles.... not the Warriors.

Reactions: bringmethehorizon

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Within Aus state border lockdowns the Nrl has had exemptions so Aus govt would be willing. We lockdown with a couple of cases so surely 1 or 2 teams travelling would be so low risk, you can also just put them in a bubble

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Within Aus state border lockdowns the Nrl has had exemptions so Aus govt would be willing. We lockdown with a couple of cases so surely 1 or 2 teams travelling would be so low risk, you can also just put them in a bubble
at the moment the NRL arent in a bubble. If you want the warriors back in NZ with gaurantees, then the whole NRL would have to go back into a bubble. I cant see that ever happening.

So far the NRL have avoided local lockdowns by having the teams run for the border at the first mention of a closure. Teams have been lucky so far. It could easily change

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
at the moment the NRL arent in a bubble. If you want the warriors back in NZ with gaurantees, then the whole NRL would have to go back into a bubble. I cant see that ever happening.

So far the NRL have avoided local lockdowns by having the teams run for the border at the first mention of a closure. Teams have been lucky so far. It could easily change
Is there a difference in the way the NRL are approaching this that isn't an issue for the Breakers or Phoenix coming home, or for the upcoming Super Rugby Trans-Tasman?
Or are the NRL more cautious than the other sports?

Reactions: Worried2Death

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Is there a difference in the way the NRL are approaching this that isn't an issue for the Breakers or Phoenix coming home, or for the upcoming Super Rugby Trans-Tasman?
Or are the NRL more cautious than the other sports?
no idea, the local lock downs are fast, so theres that to be said, and so far none have been caught out. This weekend they had an issue in Western australia, so kicked all AFL fans out of the stadium but let the game go ahead and given they havent closed boarders yet, i imagine both teams will have scarpered with games now being played out of state until it settles again.
In Qld when they had their lockdown they only did Brisbane, Gold Coast was left open, so a quick punt either up the road or down (anywhere theres an airport) and your safe until it happens nearer you. at least thats what the broncos did.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Last Game

02 May

24 - 20
6.5 Total Avg Rating
7.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 23 ratings