Sports Black Caps

I'm never a fan of the tail scratching around in these conditions. Play positive cricket.

That was an unlucky dismissal for Sodhi.

Looking at the scorecard you can see the world cup heroes are the ones performing, while the world cup duds continue their poor form, meaning Rachin‘s non-selection could cost them the game the way it’s going

What's blundells recent form? Is it better to drop him move Latham to 5/6 and have Ravindra to open?

When was last time NZ openers were the same for both ODI and test?

I'd keep Blundell as he's a legit awesome keeper and Latham can't keep especially at test level.

Latham and Conway are the ones out of form, Nichols playing his first international for a while, Rachin should have played instead of one of those 3

They seem happy to drop Ajaz due to "conditions" even after taking like all 10 wickets, but not the same for batsmen who have lower average over there, weird eh

NZC either don't know how to play spinners or they just don't like spinners.

Unless it's a green seamer I would be always playing Patel or Sodhi.

Zampa, McGill, warne,... Would they leave these guys out ever?

Warne sucked for his first few tests....nek minut

The herald was well off the mark saying that nz had done well to get the bangers out for 310. That's a good score to defend, and their spinners are far superior to ours, plus we lost the toss.

Going to be tough to win this one from here, we can do it, but Sodhi really needs to step up, as does the batting

NZC either don't know how to play spinners or they just don't like spinners.

Unless it's a green seamer I would be always playing Patel or Sodhi.

Zampa, McGill, warne,... Would they leave these guys out ever?

Warne sucked for his first few tests....nek minut
Zampa hasn't even played a test match, McGill mainly played when Warne wasn't available and Warne was one of the best spinners to ever play the game.

Sodhi doesn't have the control to play test cricket, he can't build the pressure required to be a real threat as batsmen don't have to take risks against him to score runs as he gives them a freebie an over.

Patel is handy in subcontinent conditions but he wouldn't be anywhere near my starting 11 anywhere else in the world.

I don't think you give NZC enough credit, for the most part they're pretty onto it.

Zampa hasn't even played a test match, McGill mainly played when Warne wasn't available and Warne was one of the best spinners to ever play the game.

Sodhi doesn't have the control to play test cricket, he can't build the pressure required to be a real threat as batsmen don't have to take risks against him to score runs as he gives them a freebie an over.

Patel is handy in subcontinent conditions but he wouldn't be anywhere near my starting 11 anywhere else in the world.

I don't think you give NZC enough credit, for the most part they're pretty onto it.
Partly agree that nzc know what they're doing - they're deliberately not cultivating spinners and haven't done for years. And the selection has been conservative in the last 5 years, for which I'll blame Stead, mostly 'cos I don't like him as coach, and Larsen - it's been a stale selection group

Zampa always in ODI. Lyons was the one I was meant to say. McGill played when warne couldn't proves my point.

Ofc warne goat but they always played him no matter what. But we don't even play them when it's spin friendly.

It's just that we clearly have an aging bowling unit and the moment Henry got injured, they blood one of the youngsters for the next cycle, oh wait, they recalled Wagner at the age of 38, holy s***

They should be building him a statue and retire his number instead

While Jaimeson who could still be a gun bowler at the next ODI world cup is playing test cricket bowling 20 overs/day as a walking wounded.

It's just that we clearly have an aging bowling unit and the moment Henry got injured, they blood one of the youngsters for the next cycle, oh wait, they recalled Wagner at the age of 38, holy s***

While Jaimeson who could still be a gun bowler at the next ODI world cup is playing test cricket bowling 20 overs/day as a walking wounded.
I really do blame Stead here. They've known since 2018 this group would age at the same time

I would of taken Sheat on tour.

Reactions: CWC
Latham is one of new zealands greatest Test opening Batters imo. Blundell has been in decent form the last 12 months.

There are question marks over his performances against the best in the world, but his record is not disimilar to a great like Crowe. Pitches are better, bats are better etc, but Latham has solved the perpetual problem that opening batsman has always been for NZ.

No way he gets dropped, nor deserves to be so.

Opening the batting in tests is not short format cricket on Indian featherbeds. Ravindra has a lot to prove, though it would be nice to see him have the opportunity to do so. I still like Will Young in tests too, so Young/Ravindra/Nicholls fighting for a single spot since the emergence of Mitchell.

Last edited:
Back