Rumour Rene Ranger and Dogs player

I think you're splitting hairs with the literal meaning of comparable really - any two things are comparable. You can compare a brain surgeon to a foreskin, should you feel the urge.

Reactions: Spence

Danpatmac

I think you're splitting hairs with the literal meaning of comparable really - any two things are comparable. You can compare an brain surgeon to an foreskin, should you feel the urge.

True, facetious, but true.

The fact is we are dealing with violent attacks, it is perfectly reasonable to compare them.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Is this a one off? Or is ranger known as a bit of a drinker?
If it's the former I'd sign him up. He's got wheels and size.

Is this a one off? Or is ranger known as a bit of a drinker?
If it's the former I'd sign him up. He's got wheels and size.

He's been in the shit for this before, albeit with a fairly minor assault - I think he got diversion. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he's tamed himself down because this one scared the crap out of him; from what I've heard he realised he was only a drunken punch away from not only fucking up his career, but doing jail time.

True, facetious, but true.

The fact is we are dealing with violent attacks, it is perfectly reasonable to compare them.

Even taking all emotion out of them, one was premeditated, involved roping in others to assist and was done for personal gain whereas the other was more of a knee jerk reaction to an immediate event. That's why people say you can't compare them. Add all of the details in, and they're even harder to see as similar acts because the only similarity is that both involved violence. To no take the reasons behind a violent act into account is ridiculous.

Reactions: Numbnutsnz

Danpatmac

Even taking all emotion out of them, one was premeditated, involved roping in others to assist and was done for personal gain whereas the other was more of a knee jerk reaction to an immediate event. That's why people say you can't compare them. Add all of the details in, and they're even harder to see as similar acts because the only similarity is that both involved violence. To no take the reasons behind a violent act into account is ridiculous.

Look, I was making a very simple point, these type of violent acts against anybody (Man, Woman, Child) is wrong, no matter what the circumstances and shouldn't be tolerated in a civilised country.
I feel that the context of the Metcalf incident is being used to belittle the alleged act of Ranger.

There seems to be an attitude of 'I would sign Ranger but I wouldn't sign Metcalf' from some people and i think this is a double standard.
Yes the two events were different in details, nobody disputes that... but look at the alleged Ranger assault for what it is,
not for what it isn't... and it isn't Metcalfs, but it is still bloody bad and a cowardly and despicable act that deserves a severe punishment, if proven and convicted.

Reactions: Raurimu Massive
I do feel that the Metcalf assault is more distateful, absolutely. This is due to it's callousness and rarity as an act of a father against his partner/child and the Ranger case is a far more common type of assault, but this is not an acceptable reason in my mind to lessen it's severity or to go 'easy' on him at all, certainly not when considering him for a signing.

Yeah fair enough.

I'd still sign him up though, fuggit.
Imagine Konrad and Ranger causing havoc down the right flank.... Jeepers.

Danpatmac

Yeah fair enough.

I'd still sign him up though, fuggit.
Imagine Konrad and Ranger causing havoc down the right flank.... Jeepers.

oh I rate the guy as a sportsman, he is dynamite... but I just can't get in behind and support that kind of person, if it is true.

Agreed with Fazzle. Though this discussion seems to be less about Ranger and more about murder and abortions. On the plus side, it's a dying topic...Ranger = pipe-dream (or nightmare).

Former All Black Rene Ranger has been cleared of knocking a man unconscious outside a Northland tavern.
Ranger, 25, a current member of the Blues rugby team, was tried in the Whangarei District Court this week for allegedly punching a man unconscious and stomping on his head outside the Mangawhai tavern in 2009.
The jury returned its verdict of not guilty after deliberating for about 90 minutes today.
Ranger was charged with injuring former Northland man Jason Dick on August 1, 2009.
Crown prosecutor Grant Anscon told the court Dick suffered broken teeth and injuries to his eyebrow, nose and limbs after Ranger punched him then stomped on his head.
Dick, testifying via videolink from Australia, said he had been at a concert at the Mangawhai Tavern and he was play-wrestling with a friend while they waited for a ride home.
The next thing he knew he was "spitting out teeth" and picking himself up off the ground, he said.
He denied he had tried to tackle Ranger saying at "five foot four" he was hardly likely to pick on the biggest guy in the bar.
He later conceded that he had been drinking and he did not know how he came to be injured.
Defence lawyer Arthur Fairley said Ranger did not punch or stomp on the man as alleged.
He said Dick ran over to Ranger as he waited outside the tavern and crashed into him, attempting a rugby tackle.
He said Ranger did not assault Dick but fended him off and pushed him to the ground, which Dick hit face-first.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/7490952/Rugby-star-Rene-Ranger-not-guilty-of-assault

So no headlines about Rene stomping a Dick head.

Reading the witness reports in the paper up here, it's a wonder it even got to court. In fact, if he didn't have a previous conviction for it, it probably wouldn't have.

Reactions: Spence
Is there any more recent rumbling of him actually signing?

The person who started this thread is hardly credible.

Nah mate, when this rumour rumbled back into existence a few months ago a mate of mine at the paper up here contacted Scurrah who referred to Ranger as 'an interesting player', but they weren't in discussion with him. With the court case hanging over his head, they would have been crazy to, so who knows what they'll do now.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Is there any more recent rumbling of him actually signing?

The person who started this thread is hardly credible.

Nah there's been nothing new. And this thread is really just a continuation of the many Ranger related threads on previous sites...and as has happened before, usually gains legs once people start discussing the off-field events etc.