Internationals Remember The Superleague?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
In Walter little and frank bunces book they said if rugby hadn't gone professional after the 95 World Cup, the entire all black backline would've been playing nrl in 96- they all had deals ready to sign.
We often bemoan the All Blacks helping the Melbourne Storm over the Warriors but people forget just how instrumental the Warriors were in forcing the All Blacks hand in conceding to professionalism. For the longest time it was the All Blacks that held to power of balance and they were totally against going pro. They soon realised that they were going to get left behind with the popularity of the Winfield Cup and the realisation that the Warriors were actually going to become a reality. It was former All Black captain Graham Mourie who woke them all up. Also what you say about the All Blacks having deals and the main one being Jonah Lomu who had just lit up the 1995 Rugby World Cup...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ImageResizer.ashx

THE RAGING BULL’S YEAR IN EXILE
By Gorden Tallis Jul 23 2018 8:00AM

Gorden Tallis was a rising 20-year-old star when he was forced to sit out the 1996 rugby league season due to a contract dispute with the St George Dragons during the Super League war.

In between navigating the conflicting advice of Super League and the Australian Rugby League, Tallis decided to sign with the Brisbane Broncos – but the courts ruled against him playing. As he reflects back on that time, if there’s one thing The Raging Bull would change, it would be …

“Probably to get both sides of the story," says the Fox League personality during the station's "Retro Round" celebrations. "I didn’t think there was a player that wishes the game was split at that time. Our game trades on drama. And there was no bigger year of drama in rugby league than the Super League era. That year, the amount of stories we went through … the ARL side was telling you something, the Super League side was, too.

“In the end, we had to believe the people who we were managed by and those closest to us … but knowing they had their own agendas, and they were all getting paid by somebody to tell you one side of the story.

ImageResizer.ashx

Tallis in action for Australia in a Super League Test against Great Britain in 1997. (Photo by Getty Images)

“I trained every day with the Broncos, which was pretty frustrating because I did a full pre-season with them. I travelled with them – on the road, did everything the players did, except putting on the jersey, shorts and socks on and run out on the Sunday afternoon.

“In hindsight, you think, ‘Gee whiz, you’re a young man giving it up, you’d never know if you were going to play in another grand final.’ Everyone thinks I got paid that season. That’s another myth. But no one’s going to pay you for not working. I didn’t get paid that year; a 20-year-old giving up half a million dollars. But all those things I didn’t think of. My decision wasn’t about money. It was about the vision that Super League had to grow the game and have better conditions for the players.

“I remember at the time I was getting phone calls from people that are still dear friends of mine: Nathan Brown, Mark Coyne, Anthony Mundine, all the Dragons players, asking me, ‘Hey mate, what are you doing?’ And asking me to come back and play. I had a few meetings with the Dragons. I don’t know whether that was documented. And I remember talking to my father. And he said, what did you say? I said that I’d sign for Brisbane and that’s where I’ll play. If I can’t play there, I’ll have to sit out the season.

“And he says, ‘Well, are you a man of your word?’ And that was it. To this day, it was great advice. I learned a lot about myself that year.

“The Broncos lost to Cronulla that season and the Dragons went on to play in the grand final. That was pretty hard, knowing some of your best friends are playing, and you’re not part of it; that you can’t help – you want to help your team-mates. That part was a little bit sad, and you can’t take it back because you sat out and could have played in a grand final, which some players never get to play in. But on the other hand, it taught me a hell of a lot because when you retire, it’s not about your footy career, it’s about the person you are.

“If I had the same decision again, I’d do it. You could only go on the information you were given. And on that, I made an educated decision.”

(As told to Andrew Marmont)

https://www.insidesport.com.au/news/the-raging-bulls-year-in-exile-498354

Reactions: tajhay and MurrayTD
In Walter little and frank bunces book they said if rugby hadn't gone professional after the 95 World Cup, the entire all black backline would've been playing nrl in 96- they all had deals ready to sign.

Frank Bunce would have been very good. Direct, skilful and brutal defensively. Walter was a little more slippery, maybe not as tough...

Reactions: Defence
Anybody feels like masturbating with both eyes wide open, the NZ Warriors first ever game against Brisbane Broncos from 1995 is on Sky Sports 2 right now, Channel 52 ... :sperm: :sperm::sperm: :woot:

Good offer that. Kill two birds with one stone.

We should have won that. Brisbane scored a try when they were clearly out. Touch judges have always found a way to bend us over.

Reactions: Johnnyray

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
At the time being a Warriors fan I only paid attention to the Super league so I may be a bit biased but I kinda wish super league had buried the ARL.
In hindsight there was a real risk that super league would have crashed and burned with the unsustainable money they were throwing around- but had it succeeded we would have had
-A team in Perth
-A team in Adelaide
-likely a 2nd NZ team
-likely a rationalised Sydney (with a couple more Sydney sides joining Bulldogs,Sharks,Penrith).
I’d say the ARL teams would be playing essentially nsw cup.
Origin felt more real I guess with the ARL but super League had the international game all the ARL could play was a “rest of the world” team.

tajhay

🏉
I supported super league too. I liked their vision, and at the time felt that ARL was controlled by grumpy old white man who just wanted to protect their own interests. IMO we might be now playing under a new banner of the NRL, but looking back 20 years ago not much has changed. I cant wait till the day when we have less sydney teams, a team from PNG and a team from the pacific islands competing in the comp. A comp where we try to grow the game globally rather than protect Australian Rugby Leagues best interests.

At the time being a Warriors fan I only paid attention to the Super league so I may be a bit biased but I kinda wish super league had buried the ARL.
In hindsight there was a real risk that super league would have crashed and burned with the unsustainable money they were throwing around- but had it succeeded we would have had
-A team in Perth
-A team in Adelaide
-likely a 2nd NZ team
-likely a rationalised Sydney (with a couple more Sydney sides joining Bulldogs,Sharks,Penrith).
I’d say the ARL teams would be playing essentially nsw cup.
Origin felt more real I guess with the ARL but super League had the international game all the ARL could play was a “rest of the world” team.

Absolutely agree. What's so interesting to me about Super League is how much of their own business strategy back then was about using ARL Sydney model against them. That if they were just able get all ARL based teams outside of Sydney to sign with them, then ARL essentially being turned back into citywide competiton would then be forced to merge with now nationwide Super League as ARL TV deal at time demanded that they play at least one game a week in another city market besides Sydney. It was Newcastle Knights that saved ARL as they were only team outside city of Sydney that didn't join with Super League during that time. If they did NRL in my opinion would of started two years earlier in 1997 but with Melbourne Mariners instead of Hunter Mariners (as that where they originally intended to base team but when Newcastle refused to join they shifted their expansion plans there), Adelaide Magpies instead of Rams (they wanted to move a number of non performing Sydney teams to other markets or force them to merge. I know for a fact from very old Rugby League Weekly I remember reading that they did want Magpies to go Adelaide and Bulldogs to go Brisbane) and that they also did want second team based in NZ, so maybe, Wellington Orcas. Looking back on whole thing, I don't want to say it, but it does feel to me that wrong side won... :sorry:

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Absolutely agree. What's so interesting to me about Super League is how much of their own business strategy back then was about using ARL Sydney model against them. That if they were just able get all ARL based teams outside of Sydney to sign with them, then ARL essentially being turned back into citywide competiton would then be forced to merge with now nationwide Super League as ARL TV deal at time demanded that they play at least one game a week in another city market besides Sydney. It was Newcastle Knights that saved ARL as they were only team outside city of Sydney that didn't join with Super League during that time. If they did NRL in my opinion would of started two years earlier in 1997 but with Melbourne Mariners instead of Hunter Mariners (as that where they originally intended to base team but when Newcastle refused to join they shifted their expansion plans there), Adelaide Magpies instead of Rams (they wanted to move a number of non performing Sydney teams to other markets or force them to merge. I know for a fact from very old Rugby League Weekly I remember reading that they did want Magpies to go Adelaide and Bulldogs to go Brisbane) and that they also did want second team based in NZ, so maybe, Wellington Orcas. Looking back on whole thing, I don't want to say it, but it does feel to me that wrong side won... :sorry:

ARL also had the Crushers, Seagulls and Steelers as out of Sydney clubs. Melbourne (Mavericks at first) were due to join the super league in its second year.
ARL had expansion plans itself had the war continued- Adelaide(aces) was on the agenda before superleague leap frogged them with the Rams, Balmain was seriously looking at relocating to Melbourne and ARL was looking at getting its own NZ team had the separate comps continued (not sure how much was a “we don’t need you, we will replace you” type threats)
Stories are that Superleague was VERY close to getting Newcastle and St George. I believe had they succeeded and been able to snare a Bears and say Roosters and had the Broncos worked with the crushers and brought them over they would have starved out the ARL.

Sounds like the Knights management were keen to go with SL but didn't want to upset the playing group or be seen as making the decision for them, so left it up to them to decide.

When the competitions got back together, we kept a couple of rules from SL. Isn't that where the one on one strip came from? And there was some change with who kicked off after points? Any other weird rules or changes as a result of SL?

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Sounds like the Knights management were keen to go with SL but didn't want to upset the playing group or be seen as making the decision for them, so left it up to them to decide.

When the competitions got back together, we kept a couple of rules from SL. Isn't that where the one on one strip came from? And there was some change with who kicked off after points? Any other weird rules or changes as a result of SL?

1 on 1 strip and Video ref came from Superleague, possibly the zero tackle from an opposition error too and I think ARL brought the 40/20 rule.
In Superleague the had scoring team kicks off at the restart.

Reactions: razzrillinger

bruce

Contributor
The Super League war set things back about 10 years.
At least 10 years.
John Monie was on NRL 360 last night doing some reminiscing for retro round.

He did re-write history a little bit saying he returned from England and the Warriors had already signed with Super League. That would require the Warriors to have signed before the coup that happened 1st April 1995.

My recollection was he finished at Wigan as was back here 6-12 months before the 95 season signing players, settling into Auckland etc.
John Monie was always hopeless with numbers, otherwise we would have made the finals that year.
Monie arrived in 2003 so that claim is bullshit. The guy is a wanker and was one of the worst signings the club ever made.
I was in the ARLs corner at the time but looking back I think I was wrong.
The ARL caused the problem in the first place by doing a sweetheart deal with Packer over TV rights. The other clubs such as Brisbane who caused the split had a good case to do so, the only problem is they went with Murdoch, they would have been better going with the devil. So the ARL caused the problem, not the other way around.