General Ref's Call

Reaction score
Fenderboy

Fenderboy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Ref's call - We have had a couple of these go against us this year which has handed a big advantage to the opposition. .I cannot believe that after countless replays the video ref cannot even give a benfit of doubt try yet he then hands it back to the on field ref who proceeds to award the try.Surely of the video ref can't award a try then that should be the end of it and the game restarted.

Reaction score

Xfactor

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Even though there was one camera angle that pretty clearly showed the ball touch the line before Sharkeys knee pushed it back, you have to wonder sometimes Fenderboy.
Ref calls video-ref "Can't see a thing under all that!" "Can you take a look at your multiple slow motion camera angles again & again & again and tellme what happened?"
Video-ref calls on-field ref "Fucked if I know!" "Which team do you like the most?"

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
i have no problem with this one. try fairly awarded. some others in previous games however....

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
I have a huge problem with the video sending it back to the ref for a call. The ref has sent it upstairs to the video ref because he doesn't know. The video ref looks at it and decides he can't make a call either way so the ref takes a blind stab in the dark and gives it. If the ref doesn't know and then sends it up to the video ref who then also says he doesn't know should that then be called a no try as two officials have looked at it and can't decide if it's a try or not?
All that being said i thought todays try by Lowe was a try.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a huge problem with the video sending it back to the ref for a call. The ref has sent it upstairs to the video ref because he doesn't know. The video ref looks at it and decides he can't make a call either way so the ref takes a blind stab in the dark and gives it. If the ref doesn't know and then sends it up to the video ref who then also says he doesn't know should that then be called a no try as two officials have looked at it and can't decide if it's a try or not?
sometimes the ref goes up stairs for conformation of what he thinks. if it comes back refs call he gives it. i have no problem with that

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I've heard on several occasions a ref say "I have an opinion", I don't have a problem with a ref wanting it confirmed beyond a doubt, besides that was a try without a doubt.

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but what was the refs wording? Did he say can you check obstruction, knock on, ground, etc? Or just grounding? Because he could have been sure about the grounding, but not anything else.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score

He's sending it up not because he doesnt know, but to check if there is any evidence that he didnt see.

Thought it was going to just be BOD try though.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
there should be a rule, if you have to take more than x looks at it - its BOD. Personally i thought for all those replays it wasnt a try but would have respected it more if the video ref had given it. Passing it back to the ref just made it a joke try instead. Although it still counts and that hurts

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
there should be a rule, if you have to take more than x looks at it - its BOD. Personally i thought for all those replays it wasnt a try but would have respected it more if the video ref had given it. Passing it back to the ref just made it a joke try instead. Although it still counts and that hurts
i thought it was a try. if it wasa warrior try and not given i would be fuming.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
They should probably flash up "Video Ref - Confirmation" or something so the crowd know what's going on when the Ref's Call flashes up.

Like others, I think it's fair enough if a referee wants confirmation of what he thinks happened - but then surely Ref's Call should be the only option. By saying "I have an opinion" a referee is basically saying "Tell me I'm right, mate!" and if his first call is wrong he should have to make that call. He should probably say "I think it's a try/no try" and have that flash on the screen as well - "Video Ref - Confirmation - Ref's Call No Try" for instance.

Anyway, Harvey Norman couldn't care less, could they? I remember Bill Harrigan was told to use the Video Ref because of the sponsorship...

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
2 things i have learnt today, we have a video ref so that the NRL can garner more sponsership and that nine network picks the teams that play on each day not the nrl. Seemingly thats why its in 6 week blocks so they can hand pick the friday night games for max revenue return.

Oh and if that had been a warrior
i thought it was a try. if it wasa warrior try and not given i would be fuming.
I feel pretty sure it woulda been denied based on past experiance

Top Bottom