Height (cm)
183 cm
Weight (kg)
104 kg
Position/s
  1. Second Row
Signed From
Kelston Boys High School
Lol actually just noticed the dates on this article turns out the rules been active a couple of seasons now. Dont follow Rugby anyone know if its been good/indifferent/otherwise?

As per the SJ scenario, probably in the minority here but i think the contest/game is more important than individuals or ones club allegiances.....Union has seen viewers switch off in droves, largely down (imo) to rules that are making the game less and less a contest......i would never want my beloved code to go down that route.
I dunno. It happens so rarely in league though as you say, with the focus on player safety and head knocks it may become more prevalent.

And not saying it would happen, but in an important game like a grand final and with a pivotal player like SJ, where we pretty much are guaranteed to lose our attacking shape as well as his direction around the field, it does potentially open up opportunities for misuse. Is SJ or Cleary or Ponga worth playing with 12 players for twenty minutes and having one less on the bench for the rest of the game? I mean if George Rose can drop a forearm on Heremaia in a Grand Final....

Anyway, unlikely to have that happen. And I don't think the system is broken so doesn't warrant a change. And I would miss those heroic efforts by teams playing with 12 to overcome the odds.

SJ taken out in the third minute of the Grand Final with a shocking high tackle that knocks him out, ruling him out for the rest of the game.....

I don't think it needs tinkering with myself. Send offs in league are very few. I'm more worried about the consistency in sin bin rulings.
Generally agree, but I also appreciate the argument going the other way. What if AFB was red carded in the third minute of the GF (2024, of course) with an accidental high tackle - let's say slipping/bouncing off the ball - should the Warriors and GF spectacle be penalised by having a 12 v 13 game for 77 mins? It is an interesting debate, but can (mostly) be avoided by coaching/training/showing good tackle technique across the board.

View attachment 5156
View attachment 5157
Zyon Maiu’u may have caught his head on Casey's shoulder on the way past, but his shoulder very much hit Casey in the head.

Ok it does look a lot worse from that angle. Still a very harsh punishment. All I want is consistency. Punishments severe or weak are fine as long as they're dished out consistently. 4 weeks for that and there will be A LOT of players missing significant chunks of the season based on last year if they are actually consistent.

As for reds, I think a middle ground between a yellow and a send off is a good idea and allows refs a bit more discretion. Just have Yellow, Red and Sent. Could make a red the player can be replaced after 30. The issue with red cards is the difference in severity based on what time of the game it occurs in.

And not saying it would happen, but in an important game like a grand final and with a pivotal player like SJ, where we pretty much are guaranteed to lose our attacking shape as well as his direction around the field, it does potentially open up opportunities for misuse. Is SJ or Cleary or Ponga worth playing with 12 players for twenty minutes and having one less on the bench for the rest of the game? I mean if George Rose can drop a forearm on Heremaia in a Grand Final....
I’m for a replacement with penalising the individual instead of the fans.

I don’t but the thug act against a star argument.

1 - that would be based on a deliberate criminal act and we shouldn’t base rules around those sort of what ifs
2 - It’s assuming they actually injure the star out of the game. Potentially you get 20 minutes out and lose an enforced and the star bounces back up.
3 - It could happen now anyway where a reserve player could take out SJ and be sent off with 12vs13 if the coach had decided taking out SJ is an acceptable trade off.
4 - If it was a strategic coaching decision and was proven later, the team could be sanctioned NRL points, up to stripping a title in a GF.

Fans first - the game should be bigger than an individual mistake.

Lol actually just noticed the dates on this article turns out the rules been active a couple of seasons now. Dont follow Rugby anyone know if its been good/indifferent/otherwise?

As per the SJ scenario, probably in the minority here but i think the contest/game is more important than individuals or ones club allegiances.....Union has seen viewers switch off in droves, largely down (imo) to rules that are making the game less and less a contest......i would never want my beloved code to go down that route.
I could be wrong but a work mate told be union only trialed that idea then went back to a normal red card system.
Personally i like the sin bin, send off punishments. It gives an advantage to the effected team that suspensions don't. Ive never played sport to a high level but i would have thought in the heat of a game the fear of a red card would be more than the fear of a suspension. And if the sport wants to survive it needs to eliminate head knocks.
It also seems a pretty unpopular opinion amongst fans, but i like the added drama that red and yellow cards bring to the game.

I could be wrong but a work mate told be union only trialed that idea then went back to a normal red card system.
Personally i like the sin bin, send off punishments. It gives an advantage to the effected team that suspensions don't. Ive never played sport to a high level but i would have thought in the heat of a game the fear of a red card would be more than the fear of a suspension. And if the sport wants to survive it needs to eliminate head knocks.
It also seems a pretty unpopular opinion amongst fans, but i like the added drama that red and yellow cards bring to the game.
Think soccer somewhere is trialling a 5 minute sin bin for players being theatrical playing for penalties etc? Could be hard to prove but will be interesting to see if there’s any success around if it’s legit, wouldn’t mind seeing something done if it’s blatant.

Is the second trial game included in the 4 weeks?
Perhaps not given this in the Teamlists for Round 2 of preseason games: "Sea Eagles: ...the side again captained by Toafofoa Sipley, who is eligible because his three-game suspension picked up this week is for NRL games not Pre-Season Challenge games."

If that is the case for Zyon Maiu’u too, then it is interesting Webby didn't name Zyon Maiu’u in his side for Saturday - maybe that is a bit of an internal / club punishment?

Good result! Any word on Casey's injury?
Casey was immediately taken to hospital for scans, which have cleared him of serious injury.

After watching the second half of the match from hospital Declan has returned to the team hotel and is due to fly home with his teammates on Monday morning.

He will continue to be monitored by club medical staff over the coming days.

Success of sorts

Warriors rookie Zyon Maiu’u was found guilty at the judiciary of Tuesday night but was successful in having a Grade 2 Reckless High Tackle charge downgraded to a Grade 3 Careless High Tackle.

Zyon Maiu’u has been suspended for two games.
Good result for Zyon Maiu’u and the club. I assume they would have taken the send off into account too. Objectively, three NRL games probably would have been fair.

Other than the note in the teamlists re Tof Sipley, have we had any confirmation that it will be two NRL/NSW Cup rounds (as opposed to second trial and Round 1)?

Warriors prop Zyon Maiu’u has reckless high tackle charge downgraded after judiciary appearance

Zyon Maiu’u has had his grade-two reckless high tackle downgraded at an NRL judiciary appearance on Tuesday night.

An early guilty plea would have had him suspended for four weeks with the possibility of it being extended to five had the club’s challenge been unsuccessful.

While Zyon Maiu’u was found guilty of the shoulder-to-head contact that resulted in Tigers centre Declan Casey having to be stretchered off the field during Sunday’s trial match in Christchurch, he and the club successfully managed to downgrade the charge from a reckless high tackle grade two to a careless high tackle grade two — halving the resulting penalty to two matches.

That means the Warriors will target round three against the Raiders, also in Christchurch, for Zyon Maiu’u to make his NRL debut.
Webster said the club would comment further on the situation once the hearing had taken place, but the initial priority had been ensuring Casey was okay.

“We just wanted to make sure the welfare of the other player was okay; it wasn’t a nice situation getting stretchered off, but we’ll comment more on that in future.”

He said the squad had got around in support of Zyon Maiu’u, that he had taken responsibility and was feeling “gutted” because he never wanted anything like that to happen, and was disappointed because he had worked hard in pre-season.

In what was a full evening for the judiciary, Zyon Maiu’u was one of 11 players appearing on a charge. The Cowboys v Broncos trial was the only one to not see a player charged.

Success of sorts

Warriors rookie Zyon Maiu’u was found guilty at the judiciary of Tuesday night but was successful in having a Grade 2 Reckless High Tackle charge downgraded to a Grade 3 Careless High Tackle.

Zyon Maiu’u has been suspended for two games.
That's amazing - amazing we had the gumption to challenge it, the skill to present a good argument, and that the judiciary listened and responded - another piece of evidence towards the Warriors organisation having its shit together