General Referee Thread

Reaction score
Fenderboy

Fenderboy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This just in....

NRL appoints new officiating team for all Warriors games for the remainder of 2019

NRL spokesman Phil McCrackin announced today that the organisation have taken seriously the claims by Warriors fans that the refs are nothing but a bunch of corrupt biased cheating whistle blowers. After last weekends Warriors game Phil is quoted as saying he didnt understand what all the fuss was about as the Eels had won the game on penalties."It saddens us to hear such comments about a bunch of great guys" said Mr McCrackin when speaking of the referees performance "but we have decided enough is enough and so have put together a crack squad of officials that will control all the remaining Warriors games this season to ensure the events of last weekend, the weekend before that weekend, the weekend before the weekend prior the weekend before that and the month before that will not happen again.

Head referee Ray Charles
Even though Ray died in 2004 we have no doubt he will bring his considerable league experience to the forefront in tight games.

2nd referee Stevie Wonder
Despite being 69 and in need of a kidney transplant Stevie ticks all the boxes when it comes to top class officiating. Tom Trbovich rates him as the best in the NRL when adjudicating on tackles. Tom says that after hes dumped someone on their head Stevie always has a laugh and says he just called to say I love you.

Touch Judges
Andrea Bocelli

Andrea is always in position to sing out when theres any hint of a forward pass

Roy Orbison
Roy says its a lonely life running the side line.

Video review
Jose Feliciano
Jose says his inspiration come from fellow ref Cameron Smith who always manages to Light His Fire

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fenderboy

Fenderboy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What a surprise.

We have the two most experienced refs for our game on Friday.What a strange coincidence that is

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score

Now Ivan is in trouble for having Ashley Klein on. I don't think Klein has ever been regarded as a bad referee, and bad calls have to be accepted, but maybe the amount of frustration being shown right now shows the NRL have a problem that they are not capable of solving...they are too stupid.
Maloney and Tamou were actually pretty disgusting the way they were screaming at Klein at half time and the way they were standing over him was lack of respect at best and borderline intimidation at worse.
The refs haven’t been the best but how those 2 reacted isn’t a good look, Klein did well to keep his composure

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
This just in....

NRL appoints new officiating team for all Warriors games for the remainder of 2019

NRL spokesman Phil McCrackin announced today that the organisation have taken seriously the claims by Warriors fans that the refs are nothing but a bunch of corrupt biased cheating whistle blowers. After last weekends Warriors game Phil is quoted as saying he didnt understand what all the fuss was about as the Eels had won the game on penalties."It saddens us to hear such comments about a bunch of great guys" said Mr McCrackin when speaking of the referees performance "but we have decided enough is enough and so have put together a crack squad of officials that will control all the remaining Warriors games this season to ensure the events of last weekend, the weekend before, the weekend the weekend before that and the month before that will not happen again.

Head referee Ray Charles
View attachment 41396
Even though Ray died in 2004 we have no doubt he will bring his considerable league experience to the forefront in tight games.

2nd referee Stevie Wonder
View attachment 41397
Despite being 69 and in need of a kidney transplant Stevie ticks all the boxes when it comes to top class officiating. Tom Trbovich rates him as the best in the NRL when adjudicating on tackles. Tom says that after hes dumped someone on their head Stevie always has a laugh and says he just called to say I love you.

Touch Judges
Andrea Bocelli
View attachment 41398

Andrea is always in position to sing out when theres any hint of a forward pass

Roy Orbison
View attachment 41399
Roy says its a lonely life running the side line.

Video review
Jose Feliciano
View attachment 41400
Jose says his inspiration come from fellow ref Cameron Smith who always manages to Light His Fire
Roy Orbison wasn't blind:oops:...just saying like;)😄

Reaction score
Dixpat

Dixpat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What a surprise.

We have the two most experienced refs for our game on Friday.What a strange coincidence that is

View attachment 41401
A reminder that Cecchin was the ref that gave Melbourne the penalty that allowed them to beat us in Melbourne this year and that Badger allowed play to continue when Hiku was KO’d!

Also I would not think we will get any special favours from them this weekend because if we do the Raiders fans will claim bias because of how we were ref’d last week.

Provided both teams play “to the rules” then I expect the penalty count to be about square and 50/50s going both ways.

Reaction score

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
A reminder that Cecchin was the ref that gave Melbourne the penalty that allowed them to beat us in Melbourne this year and that Badger allowed play to continue when Hiku was KO’d!

Also I would not think we will get any special favours from them this weekend because if we do the Raiders fans will claim bias because of how we were ref’d last week.

Provided both teams play “to the rules” then I expect the penalty count to be about square and 50/50s going both ways.
Just about guaranteed. Especially with Annesley in attendance. My guess, 7-6/5 to one or the other teams. Half time around 3-2. The bunker will also be on it's best behaviour and not every one of our tries will get sent up.

Nothing to see here guys, and normal service resumes next week...

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Just about guaranteed. Especially with Annesley in attendance. My guess, 7-6/5 to one or the other teams. Half time around 3-2. The bunker will also be on it's best behaviour and not every one of our tries will get sent up.

Nothing to see here guys, and normal service resumes next week...
It was never about the Warriors, it was about Brisbane because we drew with them and only one of us can make the eight, go figure. Lesson for next season, when you play Brisbane beat them or lose, don't draw.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Sometimes technology doesn’t come out on top:

56E4044A-D59D-468C-BCCA-A096F57F7C67.jpeg

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Former Warriors coach Mark Graham reveals racist slurs by referee

Mark Graham, at a Warriors training session when he was coach of the side.

PHOTOSPORT

Mark Graham, at a Warriors training session when he was coach of the side.

A former Warriors star was allegedly the subject of a racist attack from an NRL referee.

The incident has come to light as former Warriors coach and Kiwis league great Mark Graham claims institutionalised prejudice is behind the string of controversial refereeing decisions that have helped to essentially kill off the club's top eight hopes this year.

Stuff spoke with Graham following the refereeing horror show against the Eelswhich saw the Warriors robbed of a crucial competition win - and the referees subsequently dropped.

It prompted explosive claims from one of the game's most revered figures, and brought to light a confronting story.

READ MORE:
* Kearney takes aim at refs after loss
* Controversial calls that cost the Warriors
* Another Warriors' ref problem
* Warriors given stood-down ref
* Warriors woes worsen with Lawson injury
* All referees should go on strike

A dejected Roger Tuivasa-Sheck after his side was robbed by the referees against the Eels.

DAVID NEILSON/PHOTOSPORT

A dejected Roger Tuivasa-Sheck after his side was robbed by the referees against the Eels.

"I knew that every game we ran out we were playing uphill and were likely going to get a bad rub of the green," Graham said of the officiating during his time at the Warriors helm.

"But one game in particular, I will never forget."

In the match, a Warriors player of Polynesian descent was sent from the field for foul play. It was a contentious call, but what followed was to be the subject of far more criticism.

The players, coaches and referees hit the sheds, but the match officials forgot to switch their microphones off. When Graham returned to the box, he was handed a piece of audio.

According to those Stuff spoke to who heard the audio at the time, the officials were talking about the incident as they headed up the tunnel. What followed was a discussion about how they were going to justify what they knew to be a wrong call, should it go to the judiciary.

Mark Graham back in his playing days. He says it's time match officials were held accountable.

NORMAN SMITH/PHOTOSPORT

Mark Graham back in his playing days. He says it's time match officials were held accountable.

But the most damning part of the overheard audio, according to Graham, were racial slurs used to describe the player in question.

"They were talking and one said 'did you think it was really that high?', and someone responded 'who cares he's just a b.... c...," Graham said.

"I was very angry, disappointed. It saddened me because that's the way a team who were always so respectful to referees were spoken about."

Graham and then Warriors chief executive Trevor McKewen took the issue straight to the top.

McKewen did not hear the alleged racial slur, but admitted he did miss a section of the audio.

He was shocked to listen in and hear match officials "conspire" against the Warriors after the blown call.

Stuff approached the NRL for comment on the matter and a copy of the report, but did not receive a response.

"Once we complained to the NRL, they were more concerned about how I had come to hear it [the audio] rather than the issue of what was said, and that really frustrated me," McKewen said.

"It turned into a s... fight basically, but we held our ground because we felt that what was said and the way it was said was not on."

[IMG alt="Former Warriors chief executive Trevor McKewen, believes a subconscious disrespect exists in the NRL on the part of match officials when it comes to their dealings with the Warriors.

"]https://resources.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/w/a/r/x/x/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.710x400.1w90z1.png/1564986221879.jpg[/IMG]

STUFF

Former Warriors chief executive Trevor McKewen, believes a "subconscious disrespect" exists in the NRL on the part of match officials when it comes to their dealings with the Warriors.

The incident was a long time ago, but both Graham and McKewen say disrespect and prejudice over the years has contributed to it now simply being "part of the game".

But neither believes in a Warriors v Referees conspiracy - nor that the officials are deliberately out to get the Kiwi club.

"I do think referees take the easy option on a lot of 50/50 calls, subconsciously, which is to ping the Warriors," McKewen said.

"The reality is we are a Kiwi club in an Australian competition and I believe it's a disrespect that has always been there."

According to teammates of the the player at the centre of the alleged racial slur that Stuff spoke with, he did not want to take the issue further at the time through fear of word getting back to his family.

The incident still gets Graham's blood boiling to this day. He said unless something is done about the current state of officiating in Warriors matches, fans will start to turn away.

"We have always had a rough go of it but it has become ridiculous. That incident all those years a go was probably one of many, and that is sad. The club still feel the effects of all that crap and unless heads roll at the top, they will continue to."

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The incident still gets Graham's blood boiling to this day. He said unless something is done about the current state of officiating in Warriors matches, fans will start to turn away.
I know plenty of former fans that have already gone.

The sport was has the potential to be huge but the people right at the top want to keep it Sydney centric.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
There was an issue years ago where the commentators at half time mentioned an issue and the referees shrugging off that they made a wrong call against the Warriors. It was caught on microphone and I think it was Graeme Hughes saying we will hear more about this one.

Is this the same incident Mark Graham is referring to?
Can't remember if Hughes was still doing Warriors games at that time or who was commentating with him as I thought it was Lowe but the timing wouldn't match up for this incident as Lowe was co-owner at this stage.

Reaction score
Chanel_Gucci_Harris
Reaction score
fuck you racist motherfuckers.
this is why RTS could run 400m and win 3 dally M's but he is still the wrong choice for captain.
enought playing the good schoolboy nice shit. we need a real fucking asshole like gallen or cam smith who will rag on the ref all 80min.
fuck you with this 'stand up straight when addressing me' bullshit. fuck you arrogant cocksuckers. who you think yous are.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
fuck you with this 'stand up straight when addressing me' bullshit. fuck you arrogant cocksuckers. who you think yous are.
That doesn't work with them either. Cameron Smith is a master at it, and if you watch the Matty Johns Podcast you can see why. He is very smart, very focussed and a very confident guy. I don't know him personally but my guess he is a bit of an arsehole as well. He keeps at them the whole game, like a good fast bowler just nibbling before the money ball. He reminds me of Sean Fitzpatrick who was also excellent at working refs over.

I once heard Paddy O'Brien give a closed speech about dealing with Fitzpatrick. It was an eye opener. He started working on him even before the game had begun. O'Brien was one of the best ever union referees but was still very careful when dealing with Fitzpatrick.

There was a top Australian rah rah referee, whose name I cannot remember. His way of dealing with Fitzpatrick was to try and ignore him. If anything Fitzpatrick would have made an excellent Australian. Tough as teak and a hide like a rhino, oh and as cheeky as you could get. Very much like Smith.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
There was an issue years ago where the commentators at half time mentioned an issue and the referees shrugging off that they made a wrong call against the Warriors. It was caught on microphone and I think it was Graeme Hughes saying we will hear more about this one.

Is this the same incident Mark Graham is referring to?
Can't remember if Hughes was still doing Warriors games at that time or who was commentating with him as I thought it was Lowe but the timing wouldn't match up for this incident as Lowe was co-owner at this stage.
I remember that- he talked it up like it was going to be a big scandal but nothing ever came of it. I remember at the time thinkining finally something would be done but it was never spoken of again- was it the incident where refs were talking about a wrong call and were heard laughing and saying “ah well it’s only the Warriors”? Or was that another incident?

Reaction score
Dixpat

Dixpat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I remember that- he talked it up like it was going to be a big scandal but nothing ever came of it. I remember at the time thinkining finally something would be done but it was never spoken of again- was it the incident where refs were talking about a wrong call and were heard laughing and saying “ah well it’s only the Warriors”? Or was that another incident?
That is as I remember it, the ref’s mic being left on at half-time and conversation picked up in broadcast box. My other vague recollection is that it had something to do with Sir Ali Lauitiiti.

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Ive always been a denier but its seems pretty obvious this year that the Warriors are held to different standards to other teams/players. If RTS does Pongas shoulder charge I have no doubt its at least on report and probably a penalty try. If RTS does it playing for the Roosters.. probably no problem.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Ive always been a denier but its seems pretty obvious this year that the Warriors are held to different standards to other teams/players. If RTS does Pongas shoulder charge I have no doubt its at least on report and probably a penalty try. If RTS does it playing for the Roosters.. probably no problem.
Denier... If this was like the climate change debate the beaches would be underwater with how obvious it is 😉

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
its so obvious even my one eyed Aussie mates reckon there's a rort going on to keep the more fancied teams in the race for the 8
I’ve had the same conversations with supporters of other teams, we joke about who’s turn it is this year and what the best storyline is about midway through the season. Scary thing is it’s often correct- picked the South’s 40 year drought breaker, Sharks 50 year, Cowboys JT needs a premiership, Storms Slaters farewell- the refs seem to help it happen and the NRL lap up the great fairytales the game get. FYI Canberra seem to be the best sell for this years title, they tried hard for the Knights comeback story but they’ve fucked themselves ;)

Top Bottom