Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Reece walsh running around with the group today. So we didn't give up anyone in return then?
We had tried to give them back Kearney but that didn’t work out.

Reactions: Murraytd

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
From the mole today
The plan last week was for Turner to swap places with emerging Broncos fullback Reece Walsh.

Walsh has made the move across the ditch, but somehow a stuff-up at the Broncos saw Turner only offered a development contract - something he is unwilling to give up his fulltime Warriors contract for.

"The Broncos didn't think he is good enough for their top 30," a Warriors source told me.

"They obviously haven't been watching their team play - he should walk into their squad."

• Haha
Reactions: Stalefish540

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
"The Broncos didn't think he is good enough for their top 30," a Warriors source told me.
"They obviously haven't been watching their team play - he should walk into their squad."

Usually its other peoples lower ranked guys walking into our squad. I like this situation better.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
I'm a bit nervous about RTS mentoring/coaching him. Obviously he needs to be under the wings of someone experienced, but if there are aspects of RTS's reading of a game, or positioning that are suspect, I don't really want those coached into a new talent.

Likewise, it would be good to try and keep a bit of the instinct that has made Walsh successful so far, rather than coached out of him. Imagine if Ali Lauiti'iti had debuted in Kearney ball.

I'm sure it is all good things that are happening, and RTS has become better at positioning himself defensively since he first came to the club.

Geoffpublic

Warriors. As good as Gould
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
RTS appears to be a big factor in Reece signing with us. If Reece wants instruction from RTS I'm happy about that.
For those who forget RTS is a test player of the year and former Dally M medalist and fullback of the year, RTS was schooled by Anthony Minichiello who was also a Golden boot winner and Dally M fullback of the year.
I realize none of this makes RTS the complete footballer. But he's good , bloody good.
So please tell me who we have at the Warriors right now who would do a better job.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
RTS appears to be a big factor in Reece signing with us. If Reece wants instruction from RTS I'm happy about that.
For those who forget RTS is a test player of the year and former Dally M medalist and fullback of the year, RTS was schooled by Anthony Minichiello who was also a Golden boot winner and Dally M fullback of the year.
I realize none of this makes RTS the complete footballer. But he's good , bloody good.
So please tell me who we have at the Warriors right now who would do a better job.
Correct Geoff he has shitloads of ticker

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Definitely bro, not many other fullbacks/players who youd trust more to teach and young and upcoming talent. very professional athlete, silky clean off the field, great role model and a crazy competitor. yea he still has things to work on as a player but if you have a young star who admires a player like him, theyre following in the right footsteps/sidesteps

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013

I agree completely with the referent power side of the things. If Reece looks up to RTS then awesome, RTS is a great human being and young stars sometimes lack humility and grounding. On that front alone, RTS's involvement will be wonderful.

However, when we look at learning the skills of being a fullback, then it is worth considering RTS's strengths and weaknesses. Minichiello was a more complete player (with probably less flair) than RTS, so the ability to both learn and then transfer is not a given. How articulate is RTS? He is a super motivated guy, and appears to be a willing student, but is he a truly successful one. Would you say he is A+ rugby league literate?

For me that is what has held him back, and it is not designed to be a sleight on a very good player and a better person.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Definitely bro, not many other fullbacks/players who youd trust more to teach and young and upcoming talent. very professional athlete, silky clean off the field, great role model and a crazy competitor. yea he still has things to work on as a player but if you have a young star who admires a player like him, theyre following in the right footsteps/sidesteps
Yup I hope he is learning his off field habits in his prep and training, of course this kid is going to be able to express himself, he's not sheck he will never be sheck. Walsh I'm sure is just to take it all in and just be ready for big leap into first grade.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
I agree completely with the referent power side of the things. If Reece looks up to RTS then awesome, RTS is a great human being and young stars sometimes lack humility and grounding. On that front alone, RTS's involvement will be wonderful.

However, when we look at learning the skills of being a fullback, then it is worth considering RTS's strengths and weaknesses. Minichiello was a more complete player (with probably less flair) than RTS, so the ability to both learn and then transfer is not a given. How articulate is RTS? He is a super motivated guy, and appears to be a willing student, but is he a truly successful one. Would you say he is A+ rugby league literate?

For me that is what has held him back, and it is not designed to be a sleight on a very good player and a better person.
yea ive wondered that as well. You see the players in aussy and how they can articulate the game and redefine or improve their skills constantly. But seems like here at the warriors its more about who can bench the most or do the most hit ups

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
I think we typically talk down our top players (I am guilty of that myself). When SJ was here we’d pick holes in him but now he’s gone I appreciate what he brought to the team. Despite him picking up many awards and having the best warriors highlights reel, he still “wasn’t quite good enough”. He was actually great (not perfect) and we were lucky to have him.

Very few players can play at the warriors and be the complete package, as often we don’t have the cattle to allow them to shine.

Same goes for RTS. Every club in the NRL would be lucky to have him. He is a beast, great on the field and off it and he’s saved quite a few cricket scores. When he’s gone I suspect a lot of us will look back and see him I a more favourable (and fairer) light. Imagine his contribution if he didn’t have to compensate for leaky defence, or if he wasn’t so tired from racking up 200m because everyone else carried the metres.

I am more than happy that Walsh gets to be mentored by someone like RTS and get tips from (who I imagine to be) his hero. A professional like RTS would have studied every facet of his own game and be aware of his own shortcomings. He’d be one of the most professional players we’ve had

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I think we typically talk down our top players (I am guilty of that myself). When SJ was here we’d pick holes in him but now he’s gone I appreciate what he brought to the team. Despite him picking up many awards and having the best warriors highlights reel, he still “wasn’t quite good enough”. He was actually great (not perfect) and we were lucky to have him.

Very few players can play at the warriors and be the complete package, as often we don’t have the cattle to allow them to shine.

Same goes for RTS. Every club in the NRL would be lucky to have him. He is a beast, great on the field and off it and he’s saved quite a few cricket scores. When he’s gone I suspect a lot of us will look back and see him I a more favourable (and fairer) light. Imagine his contribution if he didn’t have to compensate for leaky defence, or if he wasn’t so tired from racking up 200m because everyone else carried the metres.

I am more than happy that Walsh gets to be mentored by someone like RTS and get tips from (who I imagine to be) his hero. A professional like RTS would have studied every facet of his own game and be aware of his own shortcomings. He’d be one of the most professional players we’ve had
THE LAST STYLEBENDER!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: defensivebomb

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Fair enough. Tall poppy is alive and well as always. I 100% agree that no player can be the perfect player at the Warriors, all of our players pay for the shortcomings of the team; look at Fus. This is of course is 'the place to come for your career to die.'

This is the wrong thread, but I think it would be interesting to list all of the things that will be sorely missed when RTS moves on and how much impact that has on our results. I'd imagine many of those would be the 'immeasurables.' Others, like run metres, are a fairly empty stat, especially under the new rules.

No RTS hating here, he is a very good player, and I use to tune in every week to watch him play on the wing for the Roosters (a position he was elite in). His knee injury was a low moment that cost us dearly as his combination with SJ (who he needed) was game breaking. I'm in no illusion about how big of a deal it is to lose x-factor from your roster and RTS has it in spades.

However, if I was to consider your comparison to SJ I'd make a few distinctions. SJ seems to understand the nuances of the game, he is articulate and he 'unlocked' the players around him. He seemed to think more with the ball in hand (despite criticism of his ability to do so at times). I was critical of SJ at times, but his decision to leave was a punch in the guts that I'm not feeling with RTS moving on.

Anyway, this is a Reece Walsh thread. All I was really wanting to say is that the media releases bill Walsh's early release as a chance to learn from RTS and shadow him. To essentially 'do what RTS does.' Personally speaking I expect more out of the fullback role in the coming years and hope we get a different skill set to Rogers.

Last edited:

pompower

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Someone might need to refresh me on whether they used him in a specific way that wouldn't work here, but the first thing I think when I see Walsh and his position in our squad, is that we should use him the same way that the Storm used Papenhuyzen in 2019. Just whack him in the team at #17, and bring him on whenever the opportunity presents itself. That said, I have no idea if Walsh is around the level that Papenhuyzen was then.

The idea of making an 18 year old who has never played first grade (and has only just joined up with the squad) our starting 6 seems like a bad one. Especially when the reasoning is "brrrrr kodi shit lol".

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Someone might need to refresh me on whether they used him in a specific way that wouldn't work here, but the first thing I think when I see Walsh and his position in our squad, is that we should use him the same way that the Storm used Papenhuyzen in 2019. Just whack him in the team at #17, and bring him on whenever the opportunity presents itself. That said, I have no idea if Walsh is around the level that Papenhuyzen was then.

The idea of making an 18 year old who has never played first grade (and has only just joined up with the squad) our starting 6 seems like a bad one. Especially when the reasoning is "brrrrr kodi shit lol".
I think if you are a dominant team then that is a great way to blood a youngster. Come on when the platform is made, your fresh, the opposition is tired, rips shit up and get some confidence.

Where it becomes difficult is if things are degrading and the team is defending on on the back foot. You don't want to blood a youngster in that scenario, to have them getting hammered in defence. That is demotivating and translates to a wasted bench spot.

For us, any x factor is welcome, but if you going to use him then use him in a positive way. Don't hide him somewhere to bed him in; that's deficit thinking. Have confidence in him and expect him to break things open.

Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 14 ratings