Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
Persisting with what? He hasn't played a first grade game in almost a year.

Or are you suggesting that we cut a 20 year old half (not almost 22) that has shown promise in the lower grades, just because a generational 18 year old talent has come along to Roosters that you want to compare him to.

Or are you talking about Walsh, who is a complete unknown in the halves. Yes he may have background in that position. But all footage of him playing any sort of decent competition is him at fullback. So you cannot for sure say he's a better half than Turner right now.
Good call. Did my own fact checking and you're right. 20, 21 in July.
We just can't carry 4 below averages halves in the top 30.
PT paired with any of our halves gives me nightmares and that also involves dropping someone above him in the pecking order just to give him a chance.

Tianasnow14

Warriors Bench Player
Dec 8, 2019
Souths gave him a shot in 2016.... Back at the Warriors in 2017..
How many coaches have seen him and passed... 10.. 20....

But you can see something that no one else can?? Please. Once again its always "potential" based off some rubbish athletic ability that's translates to fuck all in terms of winning the comp.

Also laughable?? Mates he's behind CHT, SoS and probably Walsh who is 18 and hasn't played one game for us. Cool story bro...

I hope I am wrong, but history is on my side ..
He's played one game and looked the goods.
Good call. Did my own fact checking and you're right. 20, 21 in July.
We just can't carry 4 below averages halves in the top 30.
PT paired with any of our halves gives me nightmares and that also involves dropping someone above him in the pecking order just to give him a chance.
How do we know what he can do if he doesn't get a chance? Yes he's only played one game, but im pretty sure he made more line breaks in that one game then fusitua, maumalo and nikorima have made this whole season. Lol I'm just sick of this snail attack we've got going on. Hopefully brown makes some changes this week 🙏🙏🙏

Nangsy

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 27, 2021
RTS doesn't have the ball skills to be better as a 6, rather than a 1. His strength is speed a footwork, his passing at the line, kicking and creativity is pretty limited unfortunately. He's not a Latrell or Tedesco, he just doesn't have the same play making ability.

Keep him at fullback, and he will be kept there. Walsh might get a crack at 6 or off the bench if we keep being toothless on attack. Nikorima to me will never be the answer in my mind, I would like to see him move to 14 sometime soon in a roaming forward/hooker role. Guys like Connor Watson and Tyrone Peachey have been awesome in that role this year, targeting tired forward packs with the nature of 2021's game. Nikorima could do the same.
Rts has
Lolo had playmaking ability. As did Carlos...

Are you claiming Turner is an NRL quality half???
We won’t know till he gets a chance

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rts has

We won’t know till he gets a chance
PT has had his chances in reserve grade. Although last year would have been good for him if he could get some footy. But he is very much the same as Lolohea. Electric feet, ball playing ability but its the footy IQ that he lacks.

We couldn't get it right with Lolohea and i feel we'll do the same with PT. You can just see that he is a natural instinct player and kind of runs his team out of space or doesn't really have the organisational skills to set his teammates up when the defense shuts him down. Can be coached in the right environment but most of our team has the same issue. Full of talent but lack IQ. We rip everyone to shreds when they cant shut us down but as soon as they have figured us out, we got nothing but smash through the front door.

PT would be an awesome player in the right set up but can't see us being the right fit for him at this moment.

Reactions: Mr Frank White

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
PT has had his chances in reserve grade. Although last year would have been good for him if he could get some footy. But he is very much the same as Lolohea. Electric feet, ball playing ability but its the footy IQ that he lacks.

We couldn't get it right with Lolohea and i feel we'll do the same with PT. You can just see that he is a natural instinct player and kind of runs his team out of space or doesn't really have the organisational skills to set his teammates up when the defense shuts him down. Can be coached in the right environment but most of our team has the same issue. Full of talent but lack IQ. We rip everyone to shreds when they cant shut us down but as soon as they have figured us out, we got nothing but smash through the front door.

PT would be an awesome player in the right set up but can't see us being the right fit for him at this moment.
Not so sure that Turner is a dud. He had one season of new to the club and then played under 20s and reserves at what 18 or 19? didn't he come back from Oz to join us rather than be locally recruited? I think he was a junior kiwi and was also the Sonny Fai medalist at the club in Under 20s so has some pedigree

The one game I saw him play in top grade he looked ok, made a number of startling breaks and had a couple of tries disallowed. That's it. He's had SFA opportunity since, other than his little cameo at centre on Friday.

As the old saying goes; It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

Find out whether the kid is a half, a centre or fullback and give him a chance.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Not so sure that Turner is a dud. He had one season of new to the club and then played under 20s and reserves at what 18 or 19? didn't he come back from Oz to join us rather than be locally recruited? I think he was a junior kiwi and was also the Sonny Fai medalist at the club in Under 20s so has some pedigree

The one game I saw him play in top grade he looked ok, made a number of startling breaks and had a couple of tries disallowed. That's it. He's had SFA opportunity since, other than his little cameo at centre on Friday.

As the old saying goes; It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

Find out whether the kid is a half, a centre or fullback and give him a chance.
"As the old saying goes; It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys" agree 100% with that. Didn't say he was a dud, just don't think he fits well for the Warriors. Thats not his fault. But hes not the answer to our problems is what im saying.

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
He's played one game and looked the goods.
How do we know what he can do if he doesn't get a chance? Yes he's only played one game, but im pretty sure he made more line breaks in that one game then fusitua, maumalo and nikorima have made this whole season. Lol I'm just sick of this snail attack we've got going on. Hopefully brown makes some changes this week 🙏🙏🙏
He also has zero try assists and 70 kicking meters.. Not great from half.

Reactions: ramps

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

The moment we give up trying to develop talent, we should just fold the club.

How do you think we are going to get anywhere near competing for a premiership? It’s not by recruiting washed up journeymen from other clubs. It’s by getting good at developing juniors, look at the Panthers.

Turner has as much pedigree and talent as any half in the comp that is 20 years old or younger. The only exceptions are Dylan Brown, Sam Walker, Jayden Sullivan, Josh Schuster. Worth keeping and at least trying to develop him. The idea of cutting him this early is just dumb. People are so unrealistic on this forum with regards to young players.

Tianasnow14

Warriors Bench Player
Dec 8, 2019
He also has zero try assists and 70 kicking meters.. Not great from half.
2021 Season Dylan Brown 1 try assist, Jack wighton 0 try assists, Anthony Milford 2 try assists. 5 game sample size. Kicking meters I can understand but im pretty sure he would of been in his first NRL game told to leave the kicking up to Kodi. I think some fans just want a fresh approach on attack. It would be cool to see both Walsh and Turner on the field at some stage to see what they can do.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
2021 Season Dylan Brown 1 try assist, Jack wighton 0 try assists, Anthony Milford 2 try assists. 5 game sample size. Kicking meters I can understand but im pretty sure he would of been in his first NRL game told to leave the kicking up to Kodi. I think some fans just want a fresh approach on attack. It would be cool to see both Walsh and Turner on the field at some stage to see what they can do.
Yeah Turner looked good in the game he played last year. Fast and elusive

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
The moment we give up trying to develop talent, we should just fold the club.

How do you think we are going to get anywhere near competing for a premiership? It’s not by recruiting washed up journeymen from other clubs. It’s by getting good at developing juniors, look at the Panthers.

Turner has as much pedigree and talent as any half in the comp that is 20 years old or younger. The only exceptions are Dylan Brown, Sam Walker, Jayden Sullivan, Josh Schuster. Worth keeping and at least trying to develop him. The idea of cutting him this early is just dumb. People are so unrealistic on this forum with regards to young players.
Ok, so how many good halves have we developed? Were fine to keep developing talent but our systems are nowhere near as proven as the australian clubs. Our development strategy the last couple years has been to recruit young union stars and convert them. Different game tactically which our biggest problem. A lot of talent in the squad but our game management (especially for halves) is bad.

You could say Stacey was the best but we haven't had anyone else apart from SJ but his game management was crap. Seems to have improved that at the Sharks though.

Evidence is there... Hingano, Lino, Lolohea, Tuimavave were the next best thing coming out of the warriors system...Talent was there but not NRL standard halves.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Highly doubt those stats are accurate... Jack Wighton? Dally M player of the year got 0 try assists in 5 games?? Was he not playing? lol

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Ok, so how many good halves have we developed? Were fine to keep developing talent but our systems are nowhere near as proven as the australian clubs. Our development strategy the last couple years has been to recruit young union stars and convert them. Different game tactically which our biggest problem. A lot of talent in the squad but our game management (especially for halves) is bad.

You could say Stacey was the best but we haven't had anyone else apart from SJ but his game management was crap. Seems to have improved that at the Sharks though.

Evidence is there... Hingano, Lino, Lolohea, Tuimavave were the next best thing coming out of the warriors system...Talent was there but not NRL standard halves.
You are surely joking when you say recruiting from union is our biggest problem..

Are you aware of the talent difference between First XV rugby union and high school rugby league? It’s not even comparable. Night and day.

If anything we should be doing more to be recruiting from First XV rugby union, which I think POS has realised when you look at last years SG ball and this years development contracts (Vailea, Berry and Glamuzina all First XV rugby players first and foremost)

Going back to Turner, stop living in the past man lol. I would actually argue that the talent was never there with Lolohea and Tuimavave in particular. As I said before, I was never impressed with those two even in 20’s comps.

Just go watch some actual game footage (not highlights) on Turner and if you still think he’s a bust then fair enough, that’s your opinion. But that’s just lazy to say he’ll be shit just because Lolohea, Carlos and Hingano were shit before him.

Tianasnow14

Warriors Bench Player
Dec 8, 2019
Highly doubt those stats are accurate... Jack Wighton? Dally M player of the year got 0 try assists in 5 games?? Was he not playing? lol
I'm just going off what it says on there club bio's 2021 stats and thats not saying these players are shit (maybe milford hasn't been playing the best lol) but they play similar to how we expect Turner's style to be. Yet no one holds there try assist stats against them?

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
You are surely joking when you say recruiting from union is our biggest problem..

Are you aware of the talent difference between First XV rugby union and high school rugby league? It’s not even comparable. Night and day.

If anything we should be doing more to be recruiting from First XV rugby union, which I think POS has realised when you look at last years SG ball and this years development contracts (Vailea, Berry and Glamuzina all First XV rugby players first and foremost)

Going back to Turner, stop living in the past man lol. I would actually argue that the talent was never there with Lolohea and Tuimavave in particular. As I said before, I was never impressed with those two even in 20’s comps.

Just go watch some actual game footage (not highlights) on Turner and if you still think he’s a bust then fair enough, that’s your opinion. But that’s just lazy to say he’ll be shit just because Lolohea, Carlos and Hingano were shit before him.
But it is though.. Of course our union talent is better but if you're wondering why our development isn't as good as Australia, theres your reason. Slaimankhel was meant to be a star too, along with Hurrell and Kata but talent only gets you so far in NRL.

If our development isnt the problem, we wouldnt have Brian Smith and Phil Gould along with everyone else trying to give their expert opinions. Its good enough to produce talent throughout the squad but when it comes to the halves/playmakers, its different tactically compared to union.

Really? Tuimavave was in team of the year for U20's and part of Junior Kiwis system. Lolohea was Warriors NYC player of the year in 2013 and played Junior Kiwis also. Pretty much where PT is at in regards to his accomplishments. Get off his D****

Ive seen actual game footage, especially watched the Kiwis U20s vs Australia when Reece Walsh was playing. PT went missing, ran his outside backs out of space and showed poor game management. Reece Walsh on the other hand was into everything which is good signs. By the way, quote me where i say hes shit. I said hes not a good fit for our team. Dont jump the gun bro.

Last edited:

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
But it is though.. Of course our union talent is better but if you're wondering why our development isn't as good as Australia, theres your reason. Slaimankhel was meant to be a star too, along with Hurrell and Kata but talent only gets you so far in NRL.

If our development isnt the problem, we wouldnt have Brian Smith and Phil Gould along with everyone else trying to give their expert opinions. Its good enough to produce talent throughout the squad but when it comes to the halves/playmakers, its different tactically compared to union.

Really? Tuimavave was in team of the year for U20's and part of Junior Kiwis system. Lolohea was Warriors NYC player of the year in 2013 and played Junior Kiwis also. Pretty much where PT is at in regards to his accomplishments. Get off his D****

Ive seen actual game footage, especially watched the Kiwis U20s vs Australia when Reece Walsh was playing. PT went missing, ran his outside backs out of space and showed poor game management. Reece Walsh on the other hand was into everything which is good signs. By the way, quote me where i say hes shit. I said hes not a good fit for our team. Dont jump the gun bro.
Lol someone’s a bit defensive.

Nah as a club we need as much talent as we can get and it is facts that union has more of it. Not really interested in hearing otherside of that argument.

Could not give less of a fuck about those accolades. David Bhana made NYC team of the year, never rated him either. It’s was pretty easy to see how those two would struggle in first grade - Tuimavave only relied on his strength and Lolohea was a plodder.

Cool man, I watched that game too. That whole Kiwis side got outplayed and he was the only playmaker there with Moala the other half who was even more invisible as he only had a few Flegg games of experience before that.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Lol someone’s a bit defensive.

Nah as a club we need as much talent as we can get and it is facts that union has more of it. Not really interested in hearing otherside of that argument.

Could not give less of a fuck about those accolades. David Bhana made NYC team of the year, never rated him either. It’s was pretty easy to see how those two would struggle in first grade - Tuimavave only relied on his strength and Lolohea was a plodder.

Cool man, I watched that game too. That whole Kiwis side got outplayed and he was the only playmaker there with Moala the other half who was even more invisible as he only had a few Flegg games of experience before that.
Yea im with you on getting as much talent as possible but were talking about PT. Hes a half, Doesnt have the game management we need. For the same reason as your last sentences. Got outplayed and didn't show up. He needed a proper half to control the game for him.

That kiwis side werent fully out of the game but needed someone to step up. PT being the star everyone claims that he is, done nothing. I rest my case. has the talent but not the game management to change it up when things get tough.

Anyway, back to Reece Walsh. Looking forward to seeing him carve up.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Yea im with you on getting as much talent as possible but were talking about PT. Hes a half, Doesnt have the game management we need. For the same reason as your last sentences. Got outplayed and didn't show up. He needed a proper half to control the game for him.

That kiwis side werent fully out of the game but needed someone to step up. PT being the star everyone claims that he is, done nothing. I rest my case. has the talent but not the game management to change it up when things get tough.

Anyway, back to Reece Walsh. Looking forward to seeing him carve up.
Yup I’m not claiming Turner to be a star just saying that he is worth persisting with as a top 30 squad member.

And i just think it is hard to judge him on that match when literally everyone in a kiwis jersey was poor. Jordan Riki was just as bad but has been good to start his first grade career. The only players who were decent were Star Toa and Etuale Lui.

Agree that Walsh was the best player on the field that day (along with Walker)

Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 14 ratings