Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
Walsh is a real talker. He's young and a lot of what he's saying may be generic or cliche, but I see a kid who is confident and has a voice.

He seems like someone not scared to stand up and do something. It particularly reminds me of people (or lack thereof) at work.

I really think he could be wonderful for the Warriors, not just as an individual talent, but what he can do for the team. The important thing is to make sure he's not alone and feel like he's the one shouldering the responsibility.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Interesting times ahead for Walsh. After booming on the scene the opposition has targeted him, shutting down his strengths and focusing on his weaknesses. He’s still young and has a lot of development in him and he’s going to have up and down games. Possibly starting to feel the physical effects of week on week out footy?

As someone else has said we have won 2/8 with Walsh in the team. Question should be being asked if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck should go back to fullback and Walsh in the halves. We have nothing to lose…

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Watching the Chooks game this evening - I’ve changed my view on bringing Walshy up into the halves.

Whilst I have no doubt he could nail it, you g Walker is just getting absolutely smashed and the Roosters hierarchy aren’t doing much to stop it frankly.

I have little doubt we’re looking after Walshy nicely.

Did u see the Matty John show last night?
They were all talking about how ponga will eventually have to move back to the halves to prolong his career because fullbacks take too much punishment these days.
They were talking about the amount of games the fullbacks have missed this year and Matty spoke about how moving to fullback ruined Kurt gidley.
I’m happy enough to leave Walsh at fullback now we have Shaun Johnson coming but this whole bit about hiding Walsh at fullback so he doesn’t get bashed is hogwash and has farked our season tbh.

Greenlite

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 11, 2021
Did u see the Matty John show last night?
They were all talking about how ponga will eventually have to move back to the halves to prolong his career because fullbacks take too much punishment these days.
They were talking about the amount of games the fullbacks have missed this year and Matty spoke about how moving to fullback ruined Kurt gidley.
I’m happy enough to leave Walsh at fullback now we have Shaun Johnson coming but this whole bit about hiding Walsh at fullback so he doesn’t get bashed is hogwash and has farked our season tbh.

I heard someone there say it’s a 3 years plan

so wouldn’t surprise me if he moves to the halves when Shaun Johnson retires.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

Check out the highlights of Walsh a year ago. Unbelievable the Broncos let him walk. Blinding speed and instincts.

Now this is a marquee player if ever I saw one.

Reactions: Murraytd

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Josh Dugan ditched his headgear early in his career because not enough people were recognizing him away from the field. I hope that isn't Walsh's line of thinking too

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Josh Dugan ditched his headgear early in his career because not enough people were recognizing him away from the field. I hope that isn't Walsh's line of thinking too

Walsh loves the attention. Almost looks like he shells up a bit without it. Strikes me as someone who has a lot of growing up to do professionally and personally, he's getting humbled last couple of games so hopefully he learns quick.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
The head gear does not protect your brain from Injury.

Head gear is a false protection. It saves bruising and cuts...that is pretty much it.

Wearing head gear is a false economy but it makes mums dads and officials feel better about kids playing. And the same is true of Amateur boxers.

Walsh did himself a favour getting rid of the head gear, if it slips down it is a distraction for minimal benefit.

Walsh is 18, personally I think he comes across as quite mature for his age.

He likes the cameras, most 18 year olds do...hell most thirty year olds like the Camera when they do something good.

His toughest challenge at the moment is being at the back of an unsteady team with all the big dudes timing their hits on him.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Walsh loves the attention. Almost looks like he shells up a bit without it. Strikes me as someone who has a lot of growing up to do professionally and personally, he's getting humbled last couple of games so hopefully he learns quick.
Second year syndrome has happened fast for him.

The opposition have targeted him, pressured him, smashed and bashed him. They worked out his strengths and weaknesses pretty fast and are shutting down his opportunities.

As a little guy with little conditioning after not playing last year, he’s physically looking pretty drained. He will bounce back but Brown has been right about wanting to manage his exposure.

Geoff Public

Fold some clown
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
I've been confused about Reeces contract at times. Here's the answer.
Signed till 2023 with a 2024 player option.

Warriors livewire Reece Walsh has a 2024 clause in his favour, as do Parramatta pair Mitchell Moses (2024) and Maika Sivo (2023).

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2013
On the NRL website there's a journalists discussion For and Against the proposition that Walker is the better and more exciting future prospect than Walsh.

The discussion ends up favouring Walker on the basis that hes more under the microscope than Walsh because hes at the Roosters...probably true.

For mine Reece Walsh is the most exciting prospect we have ever unearthed...better than Manu and both SJs.
We must keep him, we can build a side around him I hope he doesn't leave.

The article includes a poll ...the result needless to say the fans know the truth.
Have a vote yourselves...

Reactions: wizards rage

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand

NRL 2021: Broncos hatch plan to bring Warriors whizkid Reece Walsh back to Brisbane | Daily Telegraph​

Peter Badel
Brisbane coach Kevin Walters has put out the welcome mat for Reece Walsh as the Broncos hatch plans to bring the Warriors whizkid home to Queensland.
News Corp can reveal members of Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee have discussed a poaching bid for Walsh, with the Broncos empire ready to strike back in a spicy build-up to Sunday’s clash against the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium.

Labelled Brisbane’s version of Storm champion Billy Slater, Walsh dropped a bombshell on the Broncos in March when he quit the club and signed a $1.2 million deal with the Warriors before he had played a single minute of NRL.

The 19-year-old has been a revelation for the Warriors this season with his speed and attacking flair and Walsh returns to Suncorp to face the Broncos for the first time since Brisbane rubber-stamped his early release.

Now the Broncos want Walsh back.

Reece Walsh was tipped for stardom at the Broncos before his shock move to the Warriors. Picture: Liam Kidston

Walters had earmarked the Queensland under-18s ace for Brisbane’s No.1 jumper and club recruiters are exploring ways to trump the Warriors with a deal to eventually have Walsh back home in Broncos colours.

“We never wanted to lose Reece,” Walters said ahead of Walsh’s maiden showdown with the Broncos at Suncorp.

“We are a Queensland-based club and I had high hopes for Reece to play for the Broncos.

“I wished Reece all the best at the Warriors. He has been playing some good footy for them, which I expected him to do, but he’s only young.

“I’m not sure what will happen down the track, but Reece is always welcome back here, certainly.”

The structure of Walsh’s Warriors contract has opened the door for the Broncos to strike earlier than anticipated.

The Warriors signed Walsh to a three-year contract until the end of 2024. The final year of the deal is a 12-month option in Walsh’s favour, meaning the Broncos can table a formal offer for the Queensland Origin aspirant from November 1 next year.

By then, the Broncos will have additional funds in the salary cap to make a big-money play for Walsh, who was due to make his Origin debut at fullback in Game Two in June, only to injure his hamstring at the captain’s run.

Reece Walsh was a shock call-up for the Queensland Origin team in June, only to miss Game Two due to a late injury. Picture: Josh Woning

Walsh has a strong relationship with Broncos recruitment chief Simon Scanlan, who helped develop the classy custodian in Brisbane’s Elite Player Development system.

The Broncos viewed Walsh as a 10-year fullback and still hope he will return to the club at age 21 to wear the Brisbane No.1 jumper.

Warriors hierarchy are aware of Brisbane’s poaching plans, but remain confident Walsh will stay loyal and repay their faith, even if the NRL rookie is required to move to New Zealand when the Kiwi club receives a Covid clearance to return home.

Warriors assistant Craig Hodges, formerly Brisbane’s under-20s coach between 2013-16, said he wouldn’t be surprised if the Broncos tried to lure Walsh back to Red Hill.

Reece Walsh has been a revelation at the Warriors this season. Picture: Albert Perez/Getty Images

“The Broncos would be mad not to have a crack at Reece and there will always be the family connection to come home to Brisbane,” he said.

“But if he feels valued with what we are doing, there might be no reason for Reece to leave.

“It might not be as simple as Brisbane wanting him back, so they’ll get him back.

“I guess a bit of that will come down to the type of club we are building at the Warriors and whether he feels he wants to be a part of that.

“If we travel on the path I’m expecting us to go on as a club in the coming years, it might be too exciting for Reece to leave.”

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Still a long time between now and when they can approach as far as the player market goes. Apparently the broncos were going to offer Manu to play fullback, maybe they see Walsh in the halves. Apparently too Ponga is highly pissed off the knights have lost his flat mate Connor Watson to the roosters and it’s not a happy camp there. He’s got two player options and can be approached in November. Liked the last paragraph from Hodges.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
I think he and his agent (is it the usual chap?) worked that 3rd year player option for this very reason. He gets to show immediately how good he is, knowing the broncos would want him back if he succeeds. I just hope he has some loyalty to a team that saw something in him and provided a generous offer for his age. Much like his ex team mate a young gun in the Roosters.

Im not sure how the Warriors wrap him up in cotton wool, but if some magic way next year with reinforcements coming we make the 8 and get to the 3rd game, he might feel along with a $850k contract upgrade in 2023, if we still have Shaun Johnson and the team learns how to tackle, he might prefer sticking with the team that believes in him. But feels a bit deliberate and iminous.

As long as whatever happens we have an X factor spine and keep improving both offense and defense, we could create a legacy team. We have the damn roster many coaches would dribble over. The only way we cant start making the 8 and 4 is if Brown really does not know how to inspire intensity into what is culturally quite a lazy club. We really needed a Sticky type coach imo, one that is verbal and a spade is a spde. I personally felt Toovey was the best option. But lets see if Browny can figure it out this time around.

Reactions: bruce

#robbiemears

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 1, 2015
It looks like Reese is suffering from 'getting smashed by big blokes' syndrome. You see it frequently with these young superstars who come into first grade fearless and cocky. They play without fear and with supreme arrogance for several weeks until gradually - blow by blow, mistake by mistake - that fearlessness and cockiness gets hammered out of them by the size and strength of the players they're running into.

Look how timid Reese looks returning kicks now compared to when he first landed in first grade. He almost looks terrified. The reality of his size, his comparative lack of strength, and the defensive capabilities of the opponents are all conspiring against him. I'm sure it's been a daunting realisation that the speed and agileness that carried him so successfully through his junior days aren't as potent currency in the big time.

Likewise, his confidence has clearly taken a battering. Failure fuels doubt and doubt is the biggest curse of the instinctively talented. A few passes haven't hit the mark, missed kicks at goal, a penalty not finding the line, being caught out of position and being brushed aside when he's the last line of defence ... all of that would be impacting on his pysche. Exuberance of youth has had a reality check.

Not to say he isn't a superstar in the making. It's more that the making is in progress. And possibly a few years away yet. It's pretty evident he needs to bulk up considerably. But, more importantly, he'll need to get that fearlessness back. Without that, his instincts will be worthless.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
It looks like Reese is suffering from 'getting smashed by big blokes' syndrome. You see it frequently with these young superstars who come into first grade fearless and cocky. They play without fear and with supreme arrogance for several weeks until gradually - blow by blow, mistake by mistake - that fearlessness and cockiness gets hammered out of them by the size and strength of the players they're running into.

Look how timid Reese looks returning kicks now compared to when he first landed in first grade. He almost looks terrified. The reality of his size, his comparative lack of strength, and the defensive capabilities of the opponents are all conspiring against him. I'm sure it's been a daunting realisation that the speed and agileness that carried him so successfully through his junior days aren't as potent currency in the big time.

Likewise, his confidence has clearly taken a battering. Failure fuels doubt and doubt is the biggest curse of the instinctively talented. A few passes haven't hit the mark, missed kicks at goal, a penalty not finding the line, being caught out of position and being brushed aside when he's the last line of defence ... all of that would be impacting on his pysche. Exuberance of youth has had a reality check.

Not to say he isn't a superstar in the making. It's more that the making is in progress. And possibly a few years away yet. It's pretty evident he needs to bulk up considerably. But, more importantly, he'll need to get that fearlessness back. Without that, his instincts will be worthless.
Great call robbie! Do you think he's at the same level as Ponga was when Ponga was at this same stage of his career? I feel like we should not be expecting anything consistent from Walsh until 2023 perhaps, he needs a full pre season and another season under his belt imo, but how can the warriors protect him now when he's it already?

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings