Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu Harris (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Pretty phenomenal ascendance for him eh, is it even 2 months since he debuted?
Obviously a great opportunity to be involved with Origin.
I guess I do lean towards the 'thinking it's a little soon', but all props to him.
Be interested to see how he pulled up from Saturday's game with the knee, he didn't seem to be running all that comfortably.

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
this is so great. He will come out of the camp with another level in his game. so good for us.

and he's not going to get used to winning playing in this series either. great for us.

it's like reece walsh is the hot girlfriend that's too good for us but doesn't know it yet, and letting him play in this queensland team is like letting him go out on a girls night with his hot friends, but he has to wear a sweater.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
we have a state of origin fullback for the next 3.5y on 400k.
Pigs might fly too...how many other SOO backs are on $400k?
As for protecting him, the only thing different about SOO is the speed, it isn't any tougher than NRL.
The kid is going to come back with a brain twice as fast as before.

Good on him.
Pretty phenomenal ascendance for him eh, is it even 2 months since he debuted?

More like Queensland are shite.
The only issue he has is defence.
In pure theory a fullback should only have to tackle attackers that other players miss. At this level it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
NRL360 (Buzz) said that Reece was on $60k at the Donkeys and we took him off their hands at $100k per season!

If true that is smart business
Buzz has early onset dementia, he wears adult diapers and has straps instead of laces in his shoes.

Not sure about the 100k this season as he came about half way through since pre-season starts in October so would think it'd be more around 200k, but it's definitely around 400k onwards.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Don't really know what to make of this selection. Reeks of desperation to me.

The kid is a talent no doubt but talent won't help the fact he only has an 18 year old body. Should probably change his name to target.

I'm sure he will give it 110% which is his persona but I am concerned about the physical toll

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
Don't really know what to make of this selection. Reeks of desperation to me.

The kid is a talent no doubt but talent won't help the fact he only has an 18 year old body. Should probably change his name to target.

I'm sure he will give it 110% which is his persona but I am concerned about the physical toll

It's about as desperate as it gets but you get that when you are coming off your biggest ever loss into a must win game at home no less...

Warrior482

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 12, 2012
Looking at game 1, the Blues were excellent. Ruthless. But I don't think QLD should be at panic stations just yet, and Walsh's selection seems a bit panicked.
As a QLD supporter this might be the most pants-shittery game I'll ever watch, its like lending my sister the new car and absolutely bricking it until she gets back with it..

sweating key and peele GIF

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Looking at game 1, the Blues were excellent. Ruthless. But I don't think QLD should be at panic stations just yet, and Walsh's selection seems a bit panicked.
As a QLD supporter this might be the most pants-shittery game I'll ever watch, its like lending my sister the new car and absolutely bricking it until she gets back with it..

sweating key and peele GIF
Game 1 was a classic case of the forwards deciding the winner, and the backs deciding the margin. If Qld can win the middle they can win game 2 in a tight one. Lose the middle and they’ll get flogged again.

Bluecat again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 30, 2012
Why are Warriors fans happy that Walsh has been named to play SOO? I don't get it? It is a meaningless money maker that could cost us Walsh for the season. There is so much risk that we could lose him when the NSW forwards target him. And they will
It has happened to us before. Lillyman lost a lot of time and Hoffman got broken
And does anyone remember Jamal Idris? The second coming and the biggest human being on the planet rolled into one? He got rushed into SOO as a kid and he was badly shown up. It knocked him very badly
And if Walsh does shine we risk losing him on compassionate grounds because he's homesick and just a kid and because he's been quietly offered millions to play for one of the money clubs
Shame we can't make overseas players sign contracts that stop them playing for anyone else while they're signed with us

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Why are Warriors fans happy that Walsh has been named to play SOO? I don't get it? It is a meaningless money maker that could cost us Walsh for the season. There is so much risk that we could lose him when the NSW forwards target him. And they will
It has happened to us before. Lillyman lost a lot of time and Hoffman got broken
And does anyone remember Jamal Idris? The second coming and the biggest human being on the planet rolled into one? He got rushed into SOO as a kid and he was badly shown up. It knocked him very badly
And if Walsh does shine we risk losing him on compassionate grounds because he's homesick and just a kid and because he's been quietly offered millions to play for one of the money clubs
Shame we can't make overseas players sign contracts that stop them playing for anyone else while they're signed with us
Well aren’t you the optimist

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Congratulations Young Fella... Enjoy the occasion and may the Footy Gods be with you!
Exactly .I am sure playing SOO the other guys (not like the Warriors )will get around him & support him.Against Newcastle he was left to take the swirling high ball with virtually no protection.Then take the dropouts & the kickoffs & shots at goal.Surely one of more senior players (thats everyone) could have taken some pressure off a 7 game learner.But NO

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Buzz has early onset dementia, he wears adult diapers and has straps instead of laces in his shoes.

Not sure about the 100k this season as he came about half way through since pre-season starts in October so would think it'd be more around 200k, but it's definitely around 400k onwards.

The deal we signed him on was for 2022, 2023 and 2024 at $400k per season
We then got him released early and are paying him $100k for 2021. I think that's what Rothfield was comparing to the $60k at the Broncos

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
We have all been making a big assumption here.

Time to break the matrix and pose an alternate reality....what if Walsh is not used at fullback?

While we all rightly expect he will be picked at the back, what if QLDs master plan is to A) play the boy from the bench as 14th man, inject him into the game as a half....

Or B) get really cute and play him in the halves a whole game and try to defend around him?

This is possible given that they have the hubris to pick a teenager with six NRL games in the spine in the first place.

I would laugh if that happened and he killed it....that would make a lot of people around there really go mental when Walsh returned to the Warriors as a fullback.

QLD might be doing Brown a favour here....a lot of radical ifs and buts to make that happen....however we are in radical extreme selection desperation turf here already....I smell coffee.

There is also a third possibility, QLD do not play the kid at all, the ARL are merely guaranteeing he never plays for NZ.

The flip side of all this....if you people have Walsh as a half fantasies....is that you really should be praying he tanks at fullback for QLD....because if the kid thrives....he will almost certainly never be seen in the halves ever again....why would he want to meddle with his Rep position? his favourite spot.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings