Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

Veltix

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 13, 2013
Mudgee NSW
If you look at the 3 so called new young guns.... Reece Walsh, Sam Walker, and Joseph Suaalii. The Warriors have easily got the best of the 3. Suaalii has shown nothing to me of what they are all talking about, And Sam Walker is basically just a passer and a kicker but gets run over in defence. But with Walsh we have a Passer, A kicker and a runner, who will get better with his defence
So Walsh can improve his defence but Walker can’t? Based on what? Walkers also been defending in the line since his debut. I personally have more faith in walker improving taking into account the roosters coaching staff than Reece becoming the player he can be with us..

Last edited:

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Fair enough- I agree with all that.
I just want to see us give it a red hot crack this year and to do that we need BOTH rts and Reece involved as much as possible.

This is the thing that stands out most to me about him. He makes the other players around him better players. We have often complained RTS doesn’t break the line enough. But he’s never had players that put him in space. Those two together linking up look as dangerous as any pair in the comp. I’m more gutted RTS is leaving now than I was when I first heard about it.
Players like BMM suddenly become superstars when they are given that extra half a meter or split second to run their line. Remember Tomkins and Hurrell paired up was almost unstoppable. Without each other neither player was as powerful.
Walsh seems able to make every player around him 10% better.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Hopefully the Warriors are having discussion with Walsh about a path to the captaincy.

He would be one of the few Captains appointed by the Warriors who are students of the game.

in fact he would, given his habit of studying other players, be the very first informed voices from the captaincy in the clubs history.

Mathew Ridge, Stacey Jones, Kevin Campion, Dean Bell the Warriors best ever leaders, they never had the read of an NRL game like Reece Walsh. Shout out to Mannering who is a Warrior great that no one ever listened to as Captain to emphasise the point...do as i do Juju...and no one ever did.

Yes I realise he is 18 and that they need to take care to manage his responsibilities next year.

But that is why I said at the top, I hope the Warriors are having a conversation with him about a path to leading the club.

He has admitted to being someone who loves telling other players what to do.

Show him the path, and link it to a massive pay upgrade when Roger departs.

Last edited:

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Thought Walsh had a relatively quieter game. Kicks a little shorter, slightly less involved, passing to others on kick returns. Perhaps he’s starting to feel the week to week toll on his body.

Thought it also showed up how much he still has to develop physically. A couple of ordinary heavy body contacts and he was reeling. Cramping at the end as well. Still a young body even with the advanced brain.

Hopefully we don’t push him too hard, too soon and a week off will do him good.

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
Fair enough- I agree with all that.
I just want to see us give it a red hot crack this year and to do that we need BOTH rts and Reece involved as much as possible.
you guys are both right though? halves are gonna get bruised up a lot more and if they're not conditioned for it they'll get found out quick. Plus having to tackle 30 times a game kinda messes up your effectiveness. Fullbacks are tackling less and usually it's ok but they're put in way riskier positions and are way more prone to bad injuries. lmao when i used to play at the back i would get absolutely prop winged just for fun, even if I tried to darius boyd the tackle.
Walker just needs to condition himself to the game, but at the back Reece will need to learn how to preserve himself. Slater was one of the best at that.
wouldn't mind reece in the line if we had a michael luck/simon mannering type player inside him though

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Tohu Harris.....
Yeah wot a fecking waste at prop.

Apart from AFB and LAM I think we have got the recruitment wrong here, the likes of JTB and Bunty should have a bit more going on than they do just now.

However, you could argue we got it so right with AFB that the three other main props are much better players when AFB is on the same field, they go harder and make more post contact.

But back to Tohu, he is a primo body guard, the sooner we release him to link with Walsh the better.

How good would it be to see a ball player like Tohu play with the super kid.

On the other side of the park BMM roves and does his thing.

I think we have quite a good team all in all, the missing ingredient is AFB and Walsh in the same team.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
I'm thinking Nathan Brown will be quietly pleased for Walsh's suspension.

I have no doubt he would have been looking for an opportunity to give him a rest (much to the disdain of the fans and media). This allows him to achieve that without having his pedigree questioned for the umpteenth time this year.

Melbourne are gunning for something like their 12th win in a row by 13+ points and quite frankly if we had our best team on the park we won't be getting close to them anyhow...

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
Listen I am being biased and over protective of our prodigy but I want Brownie to say he is unavailable

As Brownie stated in an earlier presser he made a commitment to Walsh’s parents to protect and watch over the kid and I think making him not available for origin should be part of this.

Massive game 2 against a monster NSW team at Suncorp that’s pressure and he would be a massive target. We risk injury and confidence being shattered.

Now if he stays on this trajectory he will be a QLDnr in years to come and fulfil his dreams and be better prepared

Plus to get to finals we need him. Get through this storm game he’s rested and we ready to win 3 in a row

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Listen I am being biased and over protective of our prodigy but I want Brownie to say he is unavailable

As Brownie stated in an earlier presser he made a commitment to Walsh’s parents to protect and watch over the kid and I think making him not available for origin should be part of this.

Massive game 2 against a monster NSW team at Suncorp that’s pressure and he would be a massive target. We risk injury and confidence being shattered.

Now if he stays on this trajectory he will be a QLDnr in years to come and fulfil his dreams and be better prepared

Plus to get to finals we need him. Get through this storm game he’s rested and we ready to win 3 in a row
Absolutely

Plus how many times during mid year tests have coaches pulled the "unavailable" card on our Kiwi boys who have picked convenient "injuries".

Fuck em.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012

The thing is bro, this ain't pussy foot international league, it's Origin. Would be like a Union player turning down the all blacks - never going to happen.

If he is selected, he plays - simple as that and I would imagine that is the message coming from his parents.

He stands to earn $30k just for playing the game and unfortunately for us will add another $200k asking price to his next contract

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings