Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
If we do get Walsh earlier, what are peoples thoughts of replacing Fus with him in the same way the Roosters used RTS on the wing when he first came into FG. He's speed would certainly be an upgrade over Fus.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
We will definitely play Walsh this year. I know Ponga got a game or two with the cowboys first grade before his time at the knights, but Brown won't be scared to give Walsh some game time now.

Whether he is short or not, get him on the wing to get some game time. If they are convinced he is the real deal, he just needs to get on the field. Will be no more a liability than we already have.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Twitter rumours that Paul Turner is on the outer to get Walsh in early (and not Perham as suggested).

Hope this is just twitter BS and not true, otherwise a smart move by the Broncs.
Read an article on Google News that the issue is if Turner were to move he should move to the same position at the Broncos (a top 30 contract).

The Broncos don't have a slot in their top 30.

Paulo24

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 3, 2014
Read an article on Google News that the issue is if Turner were to move he should move to the same position at the Broncos (a top 30 contract).

The Broncos don't have a slot in their top 30.
If this is an oversight, pretty silly one. You could have just blown the confidence of Turner who maybe double guessing his relationship with the club. Get the facts right. PS I think Turner could turn out to be a great ball running 6.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
If we do get Walsh earlier, what are peoples thoughts of replacing Fus with him in the same way the Roosters used RTS on the wing when he first came into FG. He's speed would certainly be an upgrade over Fus.
That would be one way to go.

Centre is another option for the youngun since we are short there and the skills are transferable....defence and playing some ball...might be more useful to challenge him a bit.

I have grown weary with the Wing test tube experiments at the Warririors, so many young full back candidates go there and end up being fated to be like an extra on the Star Trek away team...Lockes time on he Wing was wasted...he didn't get much opportunity to do anything outside no pass Tate.

Be amazing if they shifted Rioger to centre and just went for it....

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
What needs to be considered is this.
Is Reece Walsh even now more likely to be better than most or all of our other backs.
If the answer is Yes and maybe POS and Brown believe so, then get him out there in his best position.
An 18 year old Sam Walker played like a seasoned veteran last weekend.
I am hoping Reece Walsh can do the same.
I would move Roger to centre.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Is Reece Walsh even now more likely to be better than most or all of our other backs.
If the answer is Yes and maybe POS and Brown believe so, then get him out there in his best position.
Great post

Yes, if his strength is FB don’t waste time teaching him how to play another position . Especially NRL level.

The Walker kid is a great example.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Great post

Yes, if his strength is FB don’t waste time teaching him how to play another position . Especially NRL level.

The Walker kid is a great example.
The only glearing difference you guys have left out is, walsh is in a warriors system and walker is in a Roosters system, and they are not in the same league so it's it's huge gamble.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I don’t mind the strategy- mentioned a while ago you potentially strengthen two positions if he’s a gun player as we’re led to believe.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
If this is an oversight, pretty silly one. You could have just blown the confidence of Turner who maybe double guessing his relationship with the club. Get the facts right. PS I think Turner could turn out to be a great ball running 6.
Firstly I don't want Turner to leave. Just reporting what I read, others have already posted there were rumours Turner was being talked about as moving in the opposite direction. So not sure why my particular post is a problem.

Here is the article. This could of been edited as earlier it said the Broncos didn't have a position in their 30.

Turner is currently in the Warriors top 30 NRL squad and will only agree to the swap should he be given the same status at the Broncos.

Walters and the Broncos do have a position available in the club’s top 30 but like a lot of clubs at the moment are believed to be keeping one spot open.

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
I like this, I only wonder if RTS on the wing can be more "in the ear" and influential on Walsh with his positional play at Fb.
I feel like there is not too much connection between center and FB

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney Rate Match

Last Game

18 Apr

20 - 14
7.2 Total Avg Rating
7.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 4.9