Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

leaguejunkie

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 20, 2016
The cowboys player led with the elbow. Will there be any ramifications for that? Seems like Walsh is reacting to having an elbow jammed in his throat which is just as reckless and dangerous. Glad the start of the clip shows this quite clearly.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
How often until now have you seen players do this sort of shit with us, Leilua and the like are always falling with their elbows onto players. If that’s how it is, be consistent. I saw tackles let go last night on us that we were penalised for. Also if anybody watched the following game with Tariq Sims knee that close to knocked a tiger’s player out for no penalty or anything, the refs are cherry picking. Looked like the ref wanted Jazz off the field as soon as he came on, they copped a lot of flack during the week for the two high tackles he got away with last week.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I’d heard he had a bit of fight in him- done a bit of boxing when he was younger and is from a family of bluers (if that’s not a word it should be).
His junior coach was Ryan Carr ketu (who fought Paul gallen) and he’s tough as they come.
That’s why I’ve got no fear of him defending in the front line- he’s got the attitude for it- his defense will improve in time- it can be a bit of a shock for these kids when they first hit first grade.
Probably gonna miss a couple of weeks for that though (unless Qld do want him for origin- then he’ll probably get a free pass).

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I’d heard he had a bit of fight in him- done a bit of boxing when he was younger and is from a family of bluers (if that’s not a word it should be).
His junior coach was Ryan Carr ketu (who fought Paul gallen) and he’s tough as they come.
That’s why I’ve got no fear of him defending in the front line- he’s got the attitude for it- his defense will improve in time- it can be a bit of a shock for these kids when they first hit first grade.
Probably gonna miss a couple of weeks for that though (unless Qld do want him for origin- then he’ll probably get a free pass).

I don’t doubt he’s got a huge fire burning in him

But fact is, he’s got an 18 year old body. Wouldn’t be hard to get a 120kg, much Oder and larger forward to smash into him all night to drain his powers. Broncos did it beautifully to Sam Walker a few weeks back.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
The cowboys player led with the elbow. Will there be any ramifications for that? Seems like Walsh is reacting to having an elbow jammed in his throat which is just as reckless and dangerous. Glad the start of the clip shows this quite clearly.
Problem is you don't react with a swinging elbow to the head, you leave that stuff up to the ref to sort out. I understand though, he's only 18 and not quite in control with his emotions which none of us were at that age. He'll get sat down for atleast a couple of weeks, and will be a good lesson he can learn from.

Reactions: leaguejunkie

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Problem is you don't react with a swinging elbow to the head, you leave that stuff up to the ref to sort out. I understand though, he's only 18 and not quite in control with his emotions which none of us were at that age. He'll get sat down for atleast a couple of weeks, and will be a good lesson he can learn from.
He's a Warrior player the Ref don't see us getting taken out, like if he was falling backwards in a tackle and put his arm up to slow the player on top I reckon we would get done.

On another note I wouldn't be to upset if the Warriors were to offer him another 5 year contract and tell him we will build the team around you.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
On another note I wouldn't be to upset if the Warriors were to offer him another 5 year contract and tell him we will build the team around you.
I hate to say it but so will the roosters, broncos and just about any other club.

I can see the roosters selling a dream of Sam Walker and Walsh leading them for the next 10 years...

So we better start winning because thats the only thing that will keep him here...

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I don’t doubt he’s got a huge fire burning in him

But fact is, he’s got an 18 year old body. Wouldn’t be hard to get a 120kg, much Oder and larger forward to smash into him all night to drain his powers. Broncos did it beautifully to Sam Walker a few weeks back.
Yeah but mate they’re gonna smash him bringing the ball back on kick returns too- that’s why browny has him throwing those long balls to his wingers rather than taking the first hit up but the other teams will be onto that- cowboys already were that’s why they were all looking a bit hospital- invites an intercept too.
There’s nowhere to hide out there- they’ll find him wherever he plays but I reckon he’s up to it.
We have a million dollars sitting on the wing in a “roving role” so he gets to stand at center twice a game and a mediocre halves pairing.
We have 2 absolute gun spine players so play them in the spine- the way the game is played now is made for them it’s so obvious to me- brownys missing a trick there.
Get the ball in his hands and ride the wave I reckon.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Yeah but mate they’re gonna smash him bringing the ball back on kick returns too- that’s why browny has him throwing those long balls to his wingers rather than taking the first hit up but the other teams will be onto that- cowboys already were that’s why they were all looking a bit hospital- invites an intercept too.
There’s nowhere to hide out there- they’ll find him wherever he plays but I reckon he’s up to it.
We have a million dollars sitting on the wing in a “roving role” so he gets to stand at center twice a game and a mediocre halves pairing.
We have 2 absolute gun spine players so play them in the spine- the way the game is played now is made for them it’s so obvious to me- brownys missing a trick there.
Get the ball in his hands and ride the wave I reckon.
Sam Walker is currently having a sit down because he's getting the life beaten out of him in the front line by blokes like TPJ. Their bodies just arn't fully grown yet, or conditioned to having animal 2rfs beating on them week in week out.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Sam Walker is currently having a sit down because he's getting the life beaten out of him in the front line by blokes like TPJ. Their bodies just arn't fully grown yet, or conditioned to having animal 2rfs beating on them week in week out.
And papenhuyzen is out for an indefinite period because he got his head taken off...
How many times has tedesco been knocked out this season?
How much time does turbo spend on the sidelines?

Injuries by position last year...

C9B9F03E-6EBD-4259-9040-269059F59B9C.jpeg

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
And papenhuyzen is out for an indefinite period because he got his head taken off...
How many times has tedesco been knocked out this season?
How much time does turbo spend on the sidelines?

Injuries by position last year...

View attachment 44347
Maybe i'm missing something, but i'm not sure what your point is?

Being at fullback doesn't absolve him of getting injured i'm not saying that, as it can happen to any player at any time. I'm saying there is less wear and tear on an 18yo's body playing fullback than tackling a 2rf 20+ times a game. That's why Walker was rested tonight, because he's taken a pounding in the front line.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Maybe i'm missing something, but i'm not sure what your point is?

Being at fullback doesn't absolve him of getting injured i'm not saying that, as it can happen to any player at any time. I'm saying there is less wear and tear on an 18yo's body playing fullback than tackling a 2rf 20+ times a game. That's why Walker was rested tonight, because he's taken a pounding in the front line.
Haha really?
My point is you’re trying to hide a guy at fullback so he doesn’t get hurt when the facts (not my opinion- the facts) show that last year fullbacks suffered three times the amount of injuries 5/8s did with twice as many of them coming from contact.
Do u have any facts to show they suffer more “wear and tear”? I’d be interested to see them.
I played a lot of stand off back in the day and was never as scared as the 10 minutes I spent covering fullback- got absolutely smashed twice and ended up with a broken rib, bruised sternum and corked thigh.
Standing under a bomb or taking a kick return feels like u against an entire team- who are all trying to kill u.
If the roosters are that worried about walker defending in the frontline they could always play him at fullback like the Broncos wanted to- they could even move their captain and best player to the wing to accommodate him like we have.
Just joking- that’d be silly.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Haha really?
My point is you’re trying to hide a guy at fullback so he doesn’t get hurt when the facts (not my opinion- the facts) show that last year fullbacks suffered three times the amount of injuries 5/8s did with twice as many of them coming from contact.
Do u have any facts to show they suffer more “wear and tear”? I’d be interested to see them.
I played a lot of stand off back in the day and was never as scared as the 10 minutes I spent covering fullback- got absolutely smashed twice and ended up with a broken rib, bruised sternum and corked thigh.
Standing under a bomb or taking a kick return feels like u against an entire team- who are all trying to kill u.
If the roosters are that worried about walker defending in the frontline they could always play him at fullback like the Broncos wanted to- they could even move their captain and best player to the wing to accommodate him like we have.
Just joking- that’d be silly.
I don't have any facts I can only go off regarding wear and tear because there is no such stat. What I believe is that you're easier to target in the front line. The only stat I can go off is Walker has made 90 more tackles in only two extra games than Walsh, he's getting needled up, wearing shoulder coverage and being rested from being beaten up in the front line.

We also arn't playing Walsh like a Roger type fullback, hes not taking hard carries every set out of yardage. They are trying to get him experience, and massage him through the season as much as possible in a position he feels comftorable with.

Does he move into the halves long term? Probably because his skillset and kicking game especially is leaps better than any of our halves. But I think he probably needs another pre-season possibly two before that happens to fill out and learn the defensive side of the game better.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I don't have any facts I can only go off regarding wear and tear because there is no such stat. What I believe is that you're easier to target in the front line. The only stat I can go off is Walker has made 90 more tackles in only two extra games than Walsh, he's getting needled up, wearing shoulder coverage and being rested from being beaten up in the front line.

We also arn't playing Walsh like a Roger type fullback, hes not taking hard carries every set out of yardage. They are trying to get him experience, and massage him through the season as much as possible in a position he feels comftorable with.

Does he move into the halves long term? Probably because his skillset and kicking game especially is leaps better than any of our halves. But I think he probably needs another pre-season possibly two before that happens to fill out and learn the defensive side of the game better.
Fair enough- I agree with all that.
I just want to see us give it a red hot crack this year and to do that we need BOTH rts and Reece involved as much as possible.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Fair enough- I agree with all that.
I just want to see us give it a red hot crack this year and to do that we need BOTH rts and Reece involved as much as possible.
I'll meet you in the middle mate, always the best solution!

It's a tough one, Rog brings that organisational aspect and last line in D which Reece doesn't. Those two times Walsh got turned inside out against Cows, Rog either makes those tackles or is in a far better position to anyway. But the try's Walsh is setting up as the sweeper from fullback Rog just can't do because his lack of a quality passing game. It's 6 one half a dozen really, put Rog there prob save more trys but then we don't score as many and vice versa with Walsh there to the opposite effect.

Hopefully they can keep tweaking the attack to have both Rog and Walsh involved as much as possible.

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
If you look at the 3 so called new young guns.... Reece Walsh, Sam Walker, and Joseph Suaalii. The Warriors have easily got the best of the 3. Suaalii has shown nothing to me of what they are all talking about, And Sam Walker is basically just a passer and a kicker but gets run over in defence. But with Walsh we have a Passer, A kicker and a runner, who will get better with his defence

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings