Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
I've seen enough... This is the guy we build the Club around.

I have a friend of mine who is a Bronco's fan mention that he is so peed off the Broncs let this guy go... and that Walsh reminds him of a young JT... Well ever since he mentioned this, I'm beginning to see the same as well.

Pure Skilled Footy player with no fear and if he isn't as competitive as JT yet he will be!
Good Times!

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Just amazing last night ...

Reactions: bruce

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Love how he kissed his jersey after the post match interview. Lock him up for 2 more years past his current contract I reckon with some of the cap money we’re sitting on. I was going to post after the shit start, that now we see Walsh should be in the halves, I’m glad I didn’t cause after that he cut loose. After that game I think the spine is progressing nicely, CHT looked sharp with his passing.

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
Ima say this. Last night just confirmed it. We need to build around reece walsh FULL STOP. He needs to be starting for the rest of the season. Damn the "we need to bring him in slowly, hes only 18 and dont want to risk him of getting injured". Bro it dont matter if your 18 or 35. Injuries is part of the game. Stop making excuses why he has to be on the bench 🤦‍♂️ WAKE UP!

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I've seen enough... This is the guy we build the Club around.

I have a friend of mine who is a Bronco's fan mention that he is so peed off the Broncs let this guy go... and that Walsh reminds him of a young JT... Well ever since he mentioned this, I'm beginning to see the same as well.

Pure Skilled Footy player with no fear and if he isn't as competitive as JT yet he will be!
Good Times!
Yeah I posted here that he plays like Thurston after his first game.

People were comparing him to Ponga.

There is a slight resemblance to Ponga with the skip to the outside runner which is SJ esque as well.

But that is where it ends.

As soon as Walsh Boots that ball for miles in the air, sends passes that Thurston could make, takes on the line without fear....you're at Thurston level...as evidenced by his ability to appear to win games single handed (the mark of a great) and his read of the other team.

However......and this is a big however.....Thurston was the greatest defensive and attacking player in the one body ever.....

Reece may never get near him on tackling alone.

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Ima say this. Last night just confirmed it. We need to build around reece walsh FULL STOP. He needs to be starting for the rest of the season. Damn the "we need to bring him in slowly, hes only 18 and dont want to risk him of getting injured". Bro it dont matter if your 18 or 35. Injuries is part of the game. Stop making excuses why he has to be on the bench 🤦‍♂️ WAKE UP!
Walsh will start bro.

Last night marked he end of his intro.

The first time Reece was named to start after the half games was always going to mark the end of his blooding...and not because it is how well he played.

It is logical.

Brown is not the idiot many want him to be.

He will not try to reduce minutes again unless Walsh is suffering out there.

But he will be starting and playing every game in full for the rest of the season.

The half games were a progression, he came through the steps.

The fans will get what they want.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Walsh will start bro.

Last night marked he end of his intro.

The first time Reece was named to start after the half games was always going to mark the end of his blooding...and not because it is how well he played.

It is logical.

Brown is not the idiot many want him to be.

He will not try to reduce minutes again unless Walsh is suffering out there.

But he will be starting and playing every game in full for the rest of the season.

The half games were a progression, he came through the steps.

The fans will get what they want.
Yous got what yous wanted! Just as I give SJ a bit of shit, huge lesson there. Think we should manage him best we can, remember SJs speed we lost with serious injury. As we saw in the second half, he will be targeted now, Leilua unsuccessfully tried to put a couple of shots on. Once AFB returns, that should be a good deterrent.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Teams are going to have more video tapes of the kid and they will come better prepared going forward

his defence is really iffy. Body position, timing and technique all very suspect.

need to park the brakes on all the euphoria
Defence is dreadful.

He has learned that bad habit in juniors of going at a tackle at high speed to make it look good, hurl himself without and accuracy....or slide over and lose ones footing as an out to being beaten.

Tomkins as we know was an expert at that slide.

It is like guys who dive late when really there is no point to diving.

At least he is not sitting their after missing a tackle clutching at his ankle and pulling fake Hurrell faces.

As for the Euphoria.....how often do Warriors fans get a chance to enjoy any at all?

Live it up...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Yeah I posted here that he plays like Thurston after his first game.
Gotta disagree. nicely though.

I saw Thurston's first game for the Dogs and he was an exciting standout...didn't hear the commentators raving about him like that mob last night. Walsh IMO is just bloody unbelievable. Almost too good to be true.

Forget the Broncos fans I just have to ask HTF we signed him? Things have to be looking up.

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings