Vodafone Warriors snare talented young fullback Walsh

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Thu 18 Mar 2021, 04:45 PM

reece-walsh-1a.jpg

Exciting young Brisbane fullback Reece Walsh, widely regarded as one of the hottest young talents in the game, has been snared by the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract from next season.

With the Broncos on a development contract this season, Walsh represented both the Queensland State of Origin Under 18s and Australian Schoolboys in 2019.

The Tweed Seagulls star impressed for the Broncos in their NRL trial against Wynnum Manly last month.

He’s yet another product from the famed Keebra Park State High School rugby league nursery which produced his future teammate Ben Murdoch-Masila along with the likes of Benji Marshall and Payne Haas.

This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term
Cameron GeorgeVodafone Warriors CEO

“This is a fantastic signing for our club and Vodafone Warriors fans have every reason to be excited about the progress we’re making with recruitment in the short, mid and long term,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Reece is a wonderful, polite young man who impressed us immensely when we met him.

“He comes to the Vodafone Warriors at the perfect time following us re-signing Tohu (Harris). We now have an exciting future with experience and exciting young players developed from within and others that have been handpicked to join us. It’s a great statement for our club.”

Of Australian Indigenous and Maori heritage, Walsh has been wowing observers with his skill level.

“Reece is a prodigious talent who has starred in junior footy,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision
Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager

“It’s not often you get an opportunity to secure a player of his ability. He is a natural footballer with speed, balance and vision.

“With experience I believe Reece will go on to become a top-line NRL fullback in the coming years. He’ll complement Wayde (Egan), Kodi (Nikorima) and Chanel (Harris-Tavita) perfectly in our spine.

With captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finishing with the Vodafone Warriors at the end of the season, head coach Nathan Brown said Walsh shaped as a wonderful replacement.

“Reece has all the attributes in his game that the really good players have,” he said.

“His speed and game sense are things that can make a difference in our team. We won’t be putting pressure on Reece by making big statements about his game but we will give him all the guidance to make sure his game is ready for the start of 2022. We want him to work hard and train hard and he will have a great career in front him.”

A left-footed goal kicker, Walsh slotted six from six attempts and scored a try in the Australian Schoolboys’ 36-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in 2019.

REECE WALSH
Born: July 10, 2002
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Tweed Seagulls
Position: Fullback
Height: 177cm
Weight: 88kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys (2019), Queensland Under-18s (2019)

sballer7

1st Grade Fringe
May 21, 2015
If anyone wants a cheap laugh, head on over to brocshq Reece Walsh thread. As im sure Tajhay can attest, those guys are still living in the 90s. Talk about denial, anyone would think they are higher than us on the ladder and have any number of recruitment options. 🤣

Last edited:

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Reece Walsh was trumpeted as being signed for 3 years, starting from 2022.

Thats 2022, 2023,and 2024 he would be here.

As part of his early release, does that mean his contract started this year? and now ending in 2023?

because that is what NRL signings tracker is showing....
1620012224981.png

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018

As part of his early release, does that mean his contract started this year? and now ending in 2023?

View attachment 44217
Nek minnit we find out it’s actually a 6 month loan deal

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019

View attachment 44217
That's all good because he will be upgraded to a new 4 year deal next season.

Reactions: ramps

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015

View attachment 44217
Was that you on the Bronco's forum, what a bunch of wankers they are 🤣 They saying that they will buy Walsh back after he get's sick of playing for the Warriors 🤣

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
So he is a half or a full back?

If you follow the history of Cameron Munster - he was originally a fullback when he first started. Got a few game time when Billy the Kid Slater was injured and was a shining light at the Storm. Too good the following season to leave out of the 13 when Billy was back, so they moved him into the halves..... hasnt looked back since...

I think Reece can follow the same trajectory as Munster...

Great podcast from Brett Finch

Interesting point he brings up with age. 22-24 is the peak, 26+ alittle over the hill.... people on this forum think 26 is still young!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kestrel84 and ramps

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
On the debate on where he should play. We only have a small sample size with a game at full back and another in the halves.

He looked promising in both positions.

I can't see Brown doing anthing away from the current structures of having the halves positioned on a side of the field. There was some discussion on NRL360 about how the Roosters were restructuring their play around Walker and letting him play both sides of the field. Hopefully I didn't mis hear or misinterpret that discussion. It would be good to have Walsh on both sides of the field.

In the halves he'd typically get the ball earlier and can organise the runners he needs around him.

I did like in the Storm game when he was at full back where we would pass it to our half and Walsh would come in on either side of the field at pace. Looked similar to the Storm with Slater or the Knights with Ponga or the Warriors with Tomkins (he slipped like Tomkins this week). He would likely be getting the ball at pace and could set someone up or run himself.

At the moment I'd lean towards fullback.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Was that you on the Bronco's forum, what a bunch of wankers they are 🤣 They saying that they will buy Walsh back after he get's sick of playing for the Warriors 🤣

I can understand their frustration, but it hasn't only been Walsh. Apparently one of the reasons Sam Walker left was because the Broncos wouldn't let Sam take his parents to a recruitment meeting.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
On the debate on where he should play. We only have a small sample size with a game at full back and another in the halves.

He looked promising in both positions.

I can't see Brown doing anthing away from the current structures of having the halves positioned on a side of the field. There was some discussion on NRL360 about how the Roosters were restructuring their play around Walker and letting him play both sides of the field. Hopefully I didn't mis hear or misinterpret that discussion. It would be good to have Walsh on both sides of the field.

In the halves he'd typically get the ball earlier and can organise the runners he needs around him.

I did like in the Storm game when he was at full back where we would pass it to our half and Walsh would come in on either side of the field at pace. Looked similar to the Storm with Slater or the Knights with Ponga or the Warriors with Tomkins (he slipped like Tomkins this week). He would likely be getting the ball at pace and could set someone up or run himself.

At the moment I'd lean towards fullback.
Yea I am not a fan of the 1 sided halves either, would much rather they float. What is even worse is when you have a fullback mostly attack on 1 side (which we have done with Roger) which I think is crazy.

Reactions: snake77

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012

The only real difference seems to be whether you have your first receiver (7) play both sides while the 6&1 play split sides at second receiver or whether your 7&6 split sides at first with the 1 as the one who roams. Warriors were talking up the first at the start of the year with CHT playing both sides after doing the second last year. Haven't watched much of the chooks this year but presumably they were playing split halves and using Tedesco as the main attacking weapon, because why wouldn't you.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
If anyone wants a cheap laugh, head on over to brocshq Reece Walsh thread. As im sure Tajhay can attest, those guys are still living in the 90s. Talk about denial, anyone would think they are higher than us on the ladder and have any number of recruitment options. 🤣
They sound just like us idiots....a good laugh guaranteed.

Holding Walsh will be a problem. Hopefully one we can solve. Link him up with some Maori Whanau here, take him to the Ta Moko, this is what a real tattoo means boy....

Semi humour aside, link him to the land, it all makes sense after that happens.

• Love
Reactions: Ohgeelowk

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014

View attachment 44217

I think he’s got a player option for 2024, or at least that’s what it was originally.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
“I am the bloke that watches every game. Me and my roommate Sean (O’Sullivan) get ripped for it, but it’s not our fault we love footy,” Walsh said after helping his side edge the Cowboys on Sunday.

“There have been a couple of times when the boys have tried to rip me up about it, saying ‘get away from footy’ but it’s hard to. I love my footy and I love studying it because I want to be the best footballer that I can be.

We need the entire team to room up and be forced to do what Walsh does so they get the same mentality.

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
“I am the bloke that watches every game. Me and my roommate Sean (O’Sullivan) get ripped for it, but it’s not our fault we love footy,” Walsh said after helping his side edge the Cowboys on Sunday.

“There have been a couple of times when the boys have tried to rip me up about it, saying ‘get away from footy’ but it’s hard to. I love my footy and I love studying it because I want to be the best footballer that I can be.

We need the entire team to room up and be forced to do what Walsh does so they get the same mentality.

Is Manu supplying them the gear to get ripped beforehand?

Jaffa J

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 22, 2020

Pretty telling that the 2 Aussies in our team are watching film shows why this club is where it's at and why the juniors haven't developed over the years but nah we don't need Aussies in the squad

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Pretty telling that the 2 Aussies in our team are watching film shows why this club is where it's at and why the juniors haven't developed over the years but nah we don't need Aussies in the squad
Pretty telling that Kodi the senior half at the warriors is also the other person that lives in that apartment with those two.

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player