General Warriors or Wahs?

I wouldn't keep social posts up for my business full of uneducated shoulder chip comments either.
Uneducated? Passionate Warriors fans would have a better grasp of the the club culture than a craft brewery with absolutely no connection to rugby league.

Good George have no claim to the IP of "Up the Ways" and the arrogance to try and claim ownership is really poor

Theres been other similar issues within craft beer here - a NZ brand made beer for a inspired by a band and ended up having to pay all proceed to the band. That's a precedent setting.

Good George are claiming to have a good relationship with the club. Who are we to say that's not true?
From a PR point of view they need the warriors to publicly endorse them otherwise this could backfire on them.

But I agree as a gorilla type marketing move they have got their name out there and until the copyright it was successful.

If they stuck to the ‘up the wahs’ and the colours it would be a legendary move. Going for the copyright just pushes it to far, from cheeky to entitlement. At the moment the ‘look’ has moved to deceitful.

Uneducated? Passionate Warriors fans would have a better grasp of the the club culture than a craft brewery with absolutely no connection to rugby league.

Good George have no claim to the IP of "Up the Ways" and the arrogance to try and claim ownership is really poor

Theres been other similar issues within craft beer here - a NZ brand made beer for a inspired by a band and ended up having to pay all proceed to the band. That's a precedent setting.

People read a headline and go and make a comment.

Literally the definition of uneducated

Passionate or not

From a PR point of view they need the warriors to publicly endorse them otherwise this could backfire on them.

But I agree as a gorilla type marketing move they have got their name out there and until the copyright it was successful.

If they stuck to the ‘up the wahs’ and the colours it would be a legendary move. Going for the copyright just pushes it to far, from cheeky to entitlement. At the moment the ‘look’ has moved to deceitful.

I guess the interesting thing is the the term Up The Wahs hasn't come from the Warriors.

Obviously it is about them but it's an interesting case study.

They should really make a donation to Waikato Rugby League.

Until the trademark application I think it's ok to categorise this as interesting marketing stunt - but the trademark signals their intention to own and exploit the IP for beverages - a term they played no part creating and colours / themes not previously association with.

People read a headline and go and make a comment.

Literally the definition of uneducated

Passionate or not
The articles ambiguous at best.
Cameron George hasn't even heard of them but we must accept Good George saying "They have a great relationship"

The issue is really clear.

1. Good George did not create the term "Up the Wahs" have no association with club, colours, chevron etc

2. Good George have made the legal claim they own the IP in relation to beverages

can you explain how exactly they own the IP or how you think that's good business practice?

They should count themselves lucky the club don't pursue them for the proceeds.

they should both go all in and do a good George beer with Cam’s face on it

I thought we had an alcohol partner - in Woodstock. Or has that expired?

The articles ambiguous at best.
Cameron George hasn't even heard of them but we must accept Good George saying "They have a great relationship"

The issue is really clear.

1. Good George did not create the term "Up the Wahs" have no association with club, colours, chevron etc

2. Good George have made the legal claim they own the IP in relation to beverages

can you explain how exactly they own the IP or how you think that's good business practice?

They should count themselves lucky the club don't pursue them for the proceeds.

You'll need to ask them or the journalist those questions.

This is not an uncommon scenario though.

At first I didn't mind up the WAHS it didn't bother me, but when your start hearing people over here in Aussie who don't even follow the club like people at my work start saying up the WAHS it ruined it big time for me.
Then you get people who have never watched a warriors game in there life start saying it and it's just a piss take really.

How can you tell the difference between a ture warriors supporter and a bandwagon supporter?
One will say up the WAHS and the other will say up the Warriors

With Up the Wahs, and last weekend Up the Pahs, the social media manager at the Queensland Reds should take the opportunity to launch their new slogan “Up the Rs”

Seen this? This forum gets a mention

" In a post – now mysteriously deleted from the nzwarriors.com forums – a thread named “Wahs or Warriors?” was started in April of 2023."

I guess they missed the notice about the gobblegobble hackerz. Lucky they didn't try look for it on the days the bear cartoon was popping up 😅

Are there not anti scalping laws in NZ or is that only oz? Excuse my language but fk these cntz that raise the prices by (now i said that i realized i don't even know the actual prices of all the tickets 🤣) what seems like over 50% from the quick glimpse. And I'm not even going. But should be a percentage hike up limit on reselling cause I do under stand other priorities can get in the way.

Code Wahs: Is league winning battle for hearts and minds in New Zealand?​

Jonathan Drennan

ByJonathan Drennan

Outside the Warriors’ Mount Smart stadium, a banner reads “no place like home”. After more than 1000 days on the road in Australia, the Warriors finally returned to Auckland last year and are now enjoying the comforts of home and the delirium of a long-awaited run in the NRL finals.

On their website, replica jerseys are almost sold out – there are no adult male jerseys left in stock, with only extra small female ones available. Saturday’s semi-final against Newcastle is virtually guaranteed to be a sell-out.

Meanwhile, the hitherto all-conquering All Blacks, for so long the pride and joy of New Zealand sport, are in unfamiliar territory having lost their first game of the Rugby World Cup to hosts France. They will almost certainly face a challenging quarter-final against defending champions South Africa or world No.1 Ireland – providing they qualify from their group, that is.

Sir Peter Leitch is a successful New Zealand businessman who set up a chain of butcher shops across the country. He is known by his nickname “the Mad Butcher” and has been a hugely passionate supporter of the Warriors since their foundation in 1995.

He believes the sporting landscape in New Zealand is gradually shifting from the historical domination of the All Blacks.
“Everywhere you go, you are hearing ‘Up the Wahs’, and it’s absolutely amazing for people like me to see,” he said.

“It’s exciting to see the passion of the fans. I don’t think the All Blacks have the free run that they used to. For many years rugby [union] ruled, but now other sports have stepped up like league and even other sports like basketball.

“We have another sell-out crowd at home this Saturday against the [Newcastle Knights] and as it gets nearer it’s so exciting. We’re embracing this period and riding the wave.”

The Warriors have traditionally enjoyed loyal support in Auckland, particularly in its southern suburbs, but the club’s reach is starting to be felt in traditional rugby heartlands on the south island, too. Canterbury Crusaders CEO Colin Mansbridge tweeted that the two codes could co-exist happily together and share support.

Warriors CEO Cameron George believes that the club’s support is growing across the country and their run to the finals has helped them reach new fans.

“The engagement we’re getting right around New Zealand and even globally is unbelievable. From the deep south [island] to the top of the north, then east to west, it doesn’t matter what town, everyone here is riding high on the momentum of the Warriors.
“We are in a very privileged position that we can put so much joy into this great country of ours. And whether you’re a league fan, a rugby fan or just a sports fan, you’re part of our footy club, we’re making you feel engaged through a lot of things that we’re doing and we’re really proud of that.”

George understands that the Warriors are competing with rugby for a captive audience in New Zealand, but believes that both codes ultimately complement each other.
“We always have a dig at each other, but the All Blacks players and our players love each other, they inspire each other and they support each other. At the end of the day, we all want our country to be great and we all play our role in that.

“The All Blacks are doing their thing in the World Cup and we’re supporting them and cheering them on. They’re the national brand for rugby union and we’re flying the flag for league in the NRL. It’s a one-in, all-in approach in New Zealand. We all want to win and we all want to do our country proud.”

Aaron Lawton has a unique perspective on the rise of the Warriors. He spent four years working for the club in their engagement and communications department, before moving to his current position as CEO of Counties Manukau Rugby Union based in Auckland.

On Saturday, he hosted guests in the lounge before a home National Provincial Championship game for his club against Southland and everyone was glued to the Warriors clash against Penrith. Like George, he believes that the psyche of the New Zealand sports fan plays a strong role in the codes’ ability to complement one another.

“There’s no sense they [the Warriors] are going to usurp rugby or anything like that. Kiwis are really good at getting behind our teams when they go well. I definitely think that union people want the Warriors to do well,” he said.

“For the broadcast of the Rugby World Cup here on Saturday morning for the post-match [analysis] I think I heard ‘Up the Wahs’ nine times. It’s become sort of part of the modern vernacular.

“I definitely do not run into those negative anti-rugby league sentiments, very rarely in fact, I can say that this is a very traditional rugby union province but everyone wants the Wahs to do well.”

The last time the Warriors reached the NRL grand final was in 2011, when the All Blacks won the World Cup at home in Auckland. New Zealand sports fans will be hoping this year brings a similar treasure trove of fixtures to enjoy.

I'm as passionate as they come, living in Australia I make several very expensive trips across to MSS to watch our beloved team go into battle each year, the cost is through the roof but if it means I can watch my team play out of their own ground I'd happily go bankrupt in the process.
I buy 90% of the jerseys each year and have done so since I was financially able to, I have amounted a stupid bounty of merchandise and I buy an away from home membership every year that's offered to the fans.

The Warriors vs Wahs terminology is one that I embrace, I dislike gatekeepers and I encourage any promotion of the team I love so much even if it entices bandwagoners.
There has not been one instance where somebody shouting "Up The Wahs" has given me anything but an ear to ear smile, this club deserves to be loved as much as I love them.

Up the mighty Warriors.......Up The Wahs ❤️

This is brilliant. A boss in Kumeu played a birthday prank on one of his young employees, Jack Sparrow, by putting up a sign with a message saying it was his birthday and to text him. From early morning, Jack started receiving random texts from people wishing him a happy birthday and it started going global with people from Australia, England and Asia messaging him and received some voice messages from people using different languages like Spanish, German and Chinese.

1694741933631.png

He eventually found where the sign was and was removing it when a police car stopped to see if it was a political sign he was vandalising but drove off when they saw what it was.

1694742128020.png

Back