Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sweden only has approx twice our population. What's stopping us exporting value-added forestry products like IKEA? Why isn't there an IKIWI making us great again, anyone know?

No, it's for capital gains, which for some reason the rich don't want tax imposed on them
Capital gains averages 6% per year in NZ over the last 20 years. You make the same from shares and more from business.

It’s not financial, it’s that despite heaps more upside the risk and hassle of employing makes easier to go passive.

Capital gains was ditched because the majority of NZers didn’t like it according to poll results so Labour backed out, even when their own tax group recommended it.

The levels of migration are major contributors to a number of our crises, along with deliberate underfunding

Meanwhile Luxon heaps misery on the unemployed, scapgoating to the press while making tens of thousands redundant.

Tory vindicitiveness. Neoliberal economics dictates that at least 5% unemployment must exist to keep wages low and inflation down. Don't listen to these liars.

1702442446567.png

Have you actually heard of the leaky building problem that has cost us 50bn???? There's no incentive here for developers, who must extract the most possible, to build small, quality, cheap homes.
Developers build what the market desires. By the way, smaller homes of the same spec as larger homes are more expensive per sqm.

Developers build what the market desires. By the way, smaller homes of the same spec as larger homes are more expensive per sqm.
Sorry Dean, that's a load of crap. The market is a myth. They'll build as cheap as possible, who cares about the misery they cause right? 'Cos it's all about me me me and greed.

In my opinion we’ve got into a cycle where we’re continually upping the quality and excessively reducing risk which means houses must be at a premium price (and must be bigger) which means the insurance and financial devastation if things go wrong drive ever more compliance and risk removal. From a house being a basic need to requiring earthquake, fire, structural, weathertight zero risk bunkers.

What would happen if we went the other way and made houses cheaper basic boxes with lowers standards that could be mass produced while accepting we will lose a few to fire, earthquake, etc. Ie a house costs under $1000pm to build instead of $3000pm+ means we can afford to lose 2/3 and still be ahead. Dont care if they fall apart. The mindset to replace them every 10-20 years like a car.

We can lose some houses to fire, earthquakes, storms, leaks and still be ahead of houses are replaceable and disposable. Big exaggeration but you get the idea.

Our treatment of houses as needing to be premium products, last forever, totally safe, bespoke, etc has driven up cost which in turn drives up the need for a spiral of regulations, over engineering, over design, over product testing, etc because they are so expensive and irreplaceable.

We have to much of an emotional attachment to houses rather than treating them as a tool to house people.
The thing is housing is never designed to survive an earthquake…. they’re designed that the people inside survive an earthquake. Same as with fire rated walls in housing…. they‘re not designed to prevent terrace houses with fire in one burning through to the house next door but designed to allow the neighbours to get out of their houses.

The fact is it costs more money to throw more bathrooms into a house, more to meet thermal requirements and envelope requirements. We’ve made houses so airtight, they no longer “breath”…. in moving to “healthy and more efficient homes” we’ve actually made them less healthy.

Errrr. No. Time for nz to move away from these dinosaurs in power at the moment. Renewables.
Can't disagree with that, however, won't happen in my life time nor probably yours.

The problem is that there is always a transition time for any change and that has to be managed. Doing dumb stuff like the previous PM did in unilaterally banning further offshore permits meant that when the gas does run out (and it will soon) we will be importing LNG and close to 2m tonnes of coal to keep the home fires burning until someone comes up with enough capital or ideas for an alternative.

There is no way in hell that we have the renewable capacity, or will in the next 20 years to do without coal and gas unless we all go total retro and agree a nuclear station or two could be the answer. Contact are the only ones interested in increasing Geothermal capacity but at around 50mw a year it ain't enough. There is also an ongoing problem in many of the smaller stations with the wells clogging due to silica and the discovery of heavy metals in the residue, particularly condensers.

In the meantime, lets get a bit of use out of our resources and maybe, just maybe it would provide a magnitude of jobs and a revenue stream to help in the fight against the abject poverty many are facing in this country.

I can confirm we have some of the strictest environmental rules in the world and can also confirm that not every resource developer is a Deepwater Horizon.

The levels of migration are major contributors to a number of our crises, along with deliberate underfunding

Meanwhile Luxon heaps misery on the unemployed, scapgoating to the press while making tens of thousands redundant.

Tory vindicitiveness. Neoliberal economics dictates that at least 5% unemployment must exist to keep wages low and inflation down. Don't listen to these liars.

View attachment 4714
Jack Tame exposed Seymour on q and a a week or two before Winston went feral on the show regarding the amount that clamping down on beneficiary fraud would bring in and the cost that would incur in investigating it, and what it would cost dwarfed what it would bring in. Yet no mention of white collar crime.

Sweden only has approx twice our population. What's stopping us exporting value-added forestry products like IKEA? Why isn't there an IKIWI making us great again, anyone know?
Yip, someone in NZ should start a company like IKEA which has spent millions over the years trying to set right its use of child labour in India and Pakistan to manufacture rugs and forced prison labour in Belarus to make furniture. I don’t think that would go down very well!!

There does appear to be a hole in the market for 1/2 bedroom single title dwellings though. Case in point my old dad lives in Kaipoi, new build small homes/units are hen's teeth except for retirement villages with Body Corporate setups. Not economic to build, but a big under-supplied market. Infill multi-unit dwellings aren't what he's looking for either, he'd pay to not be in a "shoe box in the fukn sky".

Yip, someone in NZ should start a company like IKEA which has spent millions over the years trying to set right its use of child labour in India and Pakistan to manufacture rugs and forced prison labour in Belarus to make furniture. I don’t think that would go down very well!!
Oh right. As you were then. The key is in the we aren't into exploiting slaves like the Swedes are.

Mind you'll we'll happily buy IKEA and exploit them by proxy. We probably send them the trees.

Last edited:
There does appear to be a hole in the market for 1/2 bedroom single title dwellings though. Case in point my old dad lives in Kaipoi, new build small homes/units are hen's teeth except for retirement villages with Body Corporate setups. Not economic to build, but a big under-supplied market. Infill multi-unit dwellings aren't what he's looking for either, he'd pay to not be in a "shoe box in the fukn sky".
I agree. The problem is economy of scale. The main suppliers of this type are the retirement village companies that have funding to develop big sites and then sell a license to occupy rather than a freehold title. I doubt the underlying titles in a large retirement village are all freehold titles issued to each unit.
The alternative for your dad could be to find a site and have a builder build a small home. However, that is stressful drawn out process and something most older folk are not interested in.
Back in the 60's in Auckland, quite a few old villas and bungalows were removed or demolished in established suburbs and the sausage block, brick and tile 60-70sqm, 2 beddie Franci and Iron developments replaced them. These were really popular with retirees, they are still solid as and popular.
I know a lady who bought a tiny home and put it on a friends land recently. About 30sqm, $120k onsite but not connected to any services. Quite dear.
I have been involved with a few 55 plus developments and they have all been built on the underlying title and used as rentals.

The market desires one, two, three bed affordable quality modular homes on smallish sections with double glazing, insulation and proper heating, that don't leak, are repeatable and can be built at scale.
Modular homes are not economical, suitable only for flat sites with easy access. That is why you don't see them having hardly any market share.
There was big huha during the last Govt, how these building were going to solve the housing crisis and HNZ was all in with the Chinese supplier.
Heard anymore about that?

Modular homes are not economical, suitable only for flat sites with easy access. That is why you don't see them having hardly any market share.
There was big huha during the last Govt, how these building were going to solve the housing crisis and HNZ was all in with the Chinese supplier.
Heard anymore about that?
The last government was shit. This government is 20 x shitter. Move away from neoliberalism, create infrastructure suppliers, including modular homes.

The last 50 years haven't worked except for the utterly rich.

Back