Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
slide.jpg

Rookie Carlos Tuimavave has been named to replace the injured Kevin Locke at fullback for the Vodafone Warriors’ 24th-round NRL clash against Penrith at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday (2.00pm kick-off local time; match day sponsor: DEWALT).
Locke lasted only 16 minutes of Saturday night’s encounter with North Queensland before being forced off with an ankle injury.
Scans have revealed Locke has a high ankle sprain which will rule him out of the three remaining games this season.
In his debut against Cronulla on August 5, Tuimavave (20) played in the centres after standoff James Maloney left the field after only 16 minutes; against the Cowboys he played the last 64 minutes at fullback.
Tuimavave, a 50-game NYC player, marked his second NRL appearance by scoring his first try at first-grade level, making 125 metres from 14 runs and later being voted the players’ player of the day by his team-mates.
“There weren’t many positives out of the North Queensland game but Carlos was certainly one of them,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan.
“He stepped up really well when he came on after Jimmy (Maloney) was injured against Cronulla and he answered the call again against the Cowboys at a difficult time.
“We’ve been really pleased with the way Carlos has gone.”
While Locke is out for the rest of the season, captain Simon Mannering is again missing from the side as he continues to recover from the ankle sprain that ruled him out after the encounter with Newcastle on July 21.
Manu Vatuvei will captain the side for the fourth time in what will be another personal milestone match for him.
Last Saturday night he became the first Vodafone Warrior to reach the 100-try mark in the NRL, doing so in 149 games; his strike rate is among the best in the game today with 71 of his tries coming in his last 91 games. His try against the Cowboys came in the dying seconds on a night when he made 119 metres from 10 runs, including six tackle breaks.
This weekend Vatuvei (26) will make his 150th NRL appearance, just the seventh player in the club’s history to reach the mark with Stacey Jones (261), Logan Swann (195), Lance Hohaia (185), Awen Guttenbeil (170), Mannering (164) and Wairangi Koopu (159) ahead of him.
Veteran loose forward Micheal Luck is also on target to play his 150th match for the Vodafone Warriors in the last game of the season against Canberra, his final outing before retiring.
Luck is again on the bench against the Panthers after making his return from another lay-off last Saturday night. He played 41 minutes against the Cowboys, making 20 tackles and missing only two.
Back in the team this week is loose forward Elijah Taylor, who missed the game in Townsville after returning home following the sudden death of his father last Friday. He will start in the No 13 jersey with Sebastine Ikahihifo on a five-man bench alongside Luck, Russell Packer, Steve Rapira and Pita Godinet.
Packer plays his 99th game this week while second rower Feleti Mateo brings up his 50th game (he hasn’t missed a game since joining the club). Winger Bill Tupou made his 50th appearance last weekend.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v PENRITH PANTHERS
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
2.00pm, Sunday, August 19

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
2 BILL TUPOU
3 LEWIS BROWN
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 MANU VATUVEI (c)
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SIONE LOUSI
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 JACOB LILLYMAN
11 FELETI MATEO
12 BEN HENRY
13 ELIJAH TAYLOR

Interchange:
14 RUSSELL PACKER
15 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO
16 MICHEAL LUCK
17 STEVE RAPIRA
18 PITA GODINET
HEAD COACH: BRIAN McCLENNAN

https://www.thewarriors.com.au/news-display/Tuimavave-starting-fullback-against-Panthers/61677

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
You know the scary thing is i look at that list and see quality all over the park. Pity i wont see it come game time.

I like that Carlos is playing FB. I like that Packer loses the starting position after last weeks game and that it goes to Lillyman. Glad to see Seb there, think hes doing more for the side that Sione. Not sure that SJ deserves his spot given recent form maybe do a last second bait and switch with Pita?

What is Carols the 6th starting FB for the team this year?

I know everyone will look at Hurrell and Tupou and Manu and Brown and groan, but lets get rid of the compressed defense, go a man for man, or a sliding defence and see if the problem is in the wings or if there is to much space being left to cover by 2 few. I personally believe this compressed Defence is causing an artificially hieghtened problem on the wings and that the problem actually starts with missed tackles much earlier in the play. The compressed Defence was implimented to stop teams waltzing up the middle of the field. Wouldnt acctually tackling the opposition effect the same result without leaving our wings exposed. And no i am not claiming our wings are perfect, far far from it. But i go back to my soccer analogy if the winger is the Goaly then there is an entire team you have to run past first to get the chance to take him on, none of those players are innocent.

The heart says expect a much better result
The brain says your fooling yourself heart

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
They keep naming Manu at captain. I wonder if the coaching staff realise it was a mistake but cant take it back because Mannering is not returning as they expected and the players respect Manu so they dont want to rile them or be seen to disrespect him.

Its all I have left, outrageous speculation.

Weak defencive team again this week. Please dont give up and ask for a release Friend. I know it must suck to carry the whole defence of a team on your shoulders.

Reaction score
eX | Machina

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Here Bluey I'll fix it for you.

1 PITA GODINET
2 BILL TUPOU
3 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 RUSSELL PACKER
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 JACOB LILLYMAN
11 FELETI MATEO
12 LEWIS BROWN
13 MICHEAL LUCK (c)

Interchange:

14 UKUMA TA'AI
15 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO
16 ELIJAH TAYLOR
17 STEVE RAPIRA

18 BEN HENRY

Reaction score
motu1

motu1

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
he's got nothing to lose and he pulls out the same crap from last week

Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hope the number 1 curse doesn't strike down Carlos! Like ex |machina I would have prefered to see him at Centre for Brown. Not sure about Godinet though, how has he been going for the Vulcans? I know the teem itself hasn't been going great.

Reaction score
jsmooove

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
all i read about carlos was that he was either a center or 5/8. im guessing he has a jnr background at fb or he just likes 5/8's filling in at FB like he had maloney do. its like the reversal of some coaches who insist on having their FB play in the halves

Reaction score
rugged

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
1 PITA GODINET
2 BILL TUPOU
3 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
4 KONRAD HURRELL
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 JAMES MALONEY
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 RUSSELL PACKER
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 JACOB LILLYMAN
11 FELETI MATEO
12 LEWIS BROWN
13 MICHEAL LUCK (c)

Interchange:

14 UKUMA TA'AI
15 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO
16 ELIJAH TAYLOR
17 STEVE RAPIRA

18 BEN HENRY
Way prefer that backline

Reaction score
eX | Machina

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Fisiiahi named for Vulcans? I'm so confused..

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Go the Warriors !!!! arriors rriors ors

echo echo echo

Poor Carlos what a bumb wrap intro to FG , crap most games in recent History........out of position......forced into Full back because the Warriors don't know how to respect specialty positions in a back line

Idiots under Cleary did it and I was expecting a new Coach meant that they would click onto the numbers on a League Jersey aren't there to organise the seating on the team bus.

So over it

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I am surprised that people are calling for Fisiahi and Godinet, as the Vulcans have been shite this year.

I know that Fisiahi has been injured, but has Godinet been tearing it up in an otherwise inafective team (I haven't seen any of the games?)

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Wasnt there info from Patu earlier on in the season that carlos could be a surprise inclusion at centre at the start of the year, or perhaps that he was training at centre? And hes been playing 5/8 all season. Into first grade and he has become a fullback option...wtf? Kinda like benry playing second row all his junior life, and then become a centre in first grade. Lewis Brown preferred at centre over Benry in past games. Is there any logic to how the musical chairs are being played around in the team? No wonder the players are rumoured to be disillusioned. Imagine being at the club, would you even know what your role is or where you fit into the team?

Didnt Bluey say at the start of the year he wanted to go away from Cleary's team lineups where second rowers played centre? This is all so confusing. At the end of the first season are we any closer to working out what Bluey is trying to do with this team? Fair enough, give him some sort of leeway as it is his first season, but shouldnt he be improving late into the season, not going backward? What exactly have we improved on in this season?

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I am surprised that people are calling for Fisiahi and Godinet, as the Vulcans have been shite this year.

I know that Fisiahi has been injured, but has Godinet been tearing it up in an otherwise inafective team (I haven't seen any of the games?)
Doesn't surprise me that Fish has been named in the Vulcans: he hasn't had any game time since Round 13.

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
wait wait . . . . Carlos is at FB . . . has he played FB before?

And we have Pita on the bench . . .. who is a FB?

Is my mind exploding?

Reaction score
bigstu

bigstu

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
another master stroke from the master coach putting in a rookie who hasn't played fullback before instead of picking a guy who has played plenty of games at fullback and looked good.

Reaction score
bigstu

bigstu

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
im expecting cleary to to exploit all of our weaknesses and i wouldn't be surprised if its another 40 point loss

Reaction score
Jah

Jah

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
the team isnt working got to hidings in a row and u pick the same players WTF ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH hide the razor blades

Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Im seeing if theres any good bets at the tab for panthers to win by 30 points or more coz if there is im taking it. Its a shame we have this attitude but hey, they get paid to play to the best of there ability, if not then they deserve to be smashed. Any hopes that the Warriors Merchandise will come down in price now that we are fucked for 2012? Im only saying it coz im sure they'll be another change in the jersey strip next year.......maybe the many changes in the jersey strip is a curse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom