Social Movies

The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome are two of my favorite childhood movies which I used to rent all the time from my local Video Ezy so I was interested to see the trailer for the new prequel that's just been released. Bit of a let down. Just looked like a boring montage of CGI.

Sadly it hasn't been a good weekend of movie watching. I was curious about the Barbie movie since it was such a box office smash so gave it a go. What a mistake! Absolutely horrendous and I would feel really sorry for anyone who took their kids to the cinema to see it. How would you explain that stupid final scene?

The Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome are two of my favorite childhood movies which I used to rent all the time from my local Video Ezy so I was interested to see the trailer for the new prequel that's just been released. What a let down. Just looked like a boring montage of CGI.

Sadly it hasn't been a good weekend of movie watching. I was curious about the Barbie movie since it was such a box office smash so gave it a go. What a mistake! Absolutely horrendous and I would feel really sorry for anyone who took their kids to the cinema to see it. How would you explain that stupid final scene?
Yeah I wasn’t too impressed with the Furiosa trailer to be honest. Way too much CGI

Barbie was a disaster. I don’t even know who the target audience was for that garbage. Feminists? And disillusioned men?… definitely not a kids or family flick

Just saw the flick Hell or High Water, really good stuff.

Screenwriter is same guy who wrote Sicario.

Apparently there's a third film which is thematically similar that the screenwriter directed himself.

The US-Mexico border will always be fertile grounds for a good action thriller.

No Country for Old Men and Three Burials of Melquides Estrada also great movies.

It's a shame All the Pretty Horses was so bland as Cormac McCarthy's border trilogy are really good books.

Bro, your admitting to choosing to go to the Barbie movie on a league forum 🤣
Who cares? It is just a movie at the end of the day - not a very good one either.
It had the opportunity to be a funny, biting take on reality, gender politics and gender identity. It caused an uproar for what it could have been rather than what it actually was, which was none of those things.

I've never been so disappointed by something not even managing to make me outraged.

Who cares? It is just a movie at the end of the day - not a very good one either.
It had the opportunity to be a funny, biting take on reality, gender politics and gender identity. It caused an uproar for what it could have been rather than what it actually was, which was none of those things.

I've never been so disappointed by something not even managing to make me outraged.
I thought it was quite shocking the opening segments was her thinking about DEATH.

I mean WTF??????

They managed to sneak a little live action into that CG Furiosa trailer.

As a general rule I strongly dislike and don't watch prequels until they're streaming and I'm bored.

This one already looks to fit that mould.

I liked the barbie film.
Not bad , don't get all the hate. Funny enough. Bit boring at times but it was fast paced enough with enough music to be ok. 6.5/10

Watched Godzilla Minus One yesterday (not sure what the Minus One actually refers to), was a fun albeit cheesy watch, with some heart behind the human characters.

Much better than the last Godzilla I saw (American 1998 one with Matthew Broderick and the Jamiroquai & Puff Daddy songs). 😅

Haven't watched the old school films (beyond a lot of random clips over the years), but this feels like it was an homage/love letter to the original, especially the way Godzilla walked around looking like the dude-in-a-suit but in pretty impressive CGI form.

The wife was quite keen to see it and I’d heard it was actually ok so was curious what it was like.
Agree don’t get the hype at all, it tried to smack you over the head repeatedly with a message that was so far exaggerated that it was hard not to dismiss it in a crying wolf fashion. Then ended up being super hypocritical at the end that I don’t think even they knew what point they weee trying to make. Was heavy handed enough that even my wife commented on how out of reality the message was

The wife was quite keen to see it and I’d heard it was actually ok so was curious what it was like.
Agree don’t get the hype at all, it tried to smack you over the head repeatedly with a message that was so far exaggerated that it was hard not to dismiss it in a crying wolf fashion. Then ended up being super hypocritical at the end that I don’t think even they knew what point they weee trying to make. Was heavy handed enough that even my wife commented on how out of reality the message was
Yeah, my wife found it more boring than me. Same with my sister In-law and her husband. They just wanted to be entertained while we dudes were trying to find the deeper meaning behind it all but were just left disappointed.

Watched Godzilla Minus One yesterday (not sure what the Minus One actually refers to), was a fun albeit cheesy watch, with some heart behind the human characters.

Much better than the last Godzilla I saw (American 1998 one with Matthew Broderick and the Jamiroquai & Puff Daddy songs). 😅

Haven't watched the old school films (beyond a lot of random clips over the years), but this feels like it was an homage/love letter to the original, especially the way Godzilla walked around looking like the dude-in-a-suit but in pretty impressive CGI form.
The Godzilla movie seems to be getting good reviews.

I can't recall the budget but one comment was comparing it against the modern Hollywood movies which have blown out in terms of their budgets. Heard Godzilla they spent the money well where as say some of the modern super hero movies you wonder where the money went as you can't really see it on screen with some of the CGI issues.

Hollywood has had some massive flops this year. It is insane how much money they need to make to even break even. Need to essentially double the budget to factor in marketing. A lot of the movies aren't even making their reported budget let alone the actual budget when you factor in reshoots.

Movies like Godzilla with lower budget will likely become more common.

I'm quite looking forward to The Iron Claw which comes out in the new year. About the Von Erich brothers that were pro wrestlers in the 1980s.

Could be a bit of a tear-jerker though. The surviving brother has been quoted "I was once one of five brothers, now I'm not even a brother". He wasn't too old when he said that either.

I'm quite looking forward to The Iron Claw which comes out in the new year. About the Von Erich brothers that were pro wrestlers in the 1980s.

Could be a bit of a tear-jerker though. The surviving brother has been quoted "I was once one of five brothers, now I'm not even a brother". He wasn't too old when he said that either.

Looks good.

You could make riveting movies from pretty much the entire Dark Side of the Ring series.

Glad the industry has somewhat cleaned itself up because it was littered with the bodies of guys dieing way too young for years.

Back