Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Labour aren't left. They're centre right.
Fair pay agreements
Extra sick leave
Extra public holiday
Extra mental health leave
Centralising health
Centralising polytechs
Centralising water
Massive amount of extra taxes
Govt provide school lunchs
Govt provides free dental
Govt provides first year university free
Prioritise public transport
Anti prison
Soft on crime
Strong on racial, rainbow policies, etc
Strongly anti business
Investigating wealth taxes, CGT against rich
Big minimum wage increases
Big increase in benefits
Wouldn’t evict terrible state house tenants
Pro state housing

Etc, etc, etc

Most left government for a very long time. Nothing wrong with that either but they were very left.

I was meaning, when was the last time anybody was charged with smoking dak?
Couldn’t give you the answer to that, probably depends on the particular officer that catches the offender and whether they show any discretion? Can understand a driving while impaired concern and good to see checks will be given for the likes of tramadol etc has come in also.

Sigh.

Nuclear has the lowest death rate of any power generation source.

More people died building the Clyde Dam than the Fukishima disaster.

There’s radioactive material everywhere. Burning coal releases more radioactive particles than a nuclear power station.

There’s more nuclear particles in a banana than a litre of water being released from Fukishima.

Thanks for being a contestant on “Talking about things you know nothing about “
Yes there's radioactive isotopes in everything, but Chernobyl? An accident like that would ruin our whole country.
You could argue that the technology etc around nuclear power stations have improved but it was a very low risk systemic process that set that off.
We do not have the land mass to handle plants of any real size and we do not have a great enough need imo to risk it.
There's other solutions for power out there that are not do or die solutions.
I'm a pragmatist. We are what we are, who we are, and don't need to be like everyone else.
Our unique country, place in the world/ globe demands we think outside the box to thrive, and why does it have to be about 💰
Every election I find it hard to see us making out its some big thing and it's either or, one party has to be diametrically opposed to each other and support different factions like they've decided they're polar opposites.
Here's a thought 😆 why don't Labour and National form a coalition? Seriously, we're not that different if we are really all working for the good of NZ.
Jeez, won't someone think of the children? 😆 😄 🤣 😂 😔 😟

Yes there's radioactive isotopes in everything, but Chernobyl? An accident like that would ruin our whole country.
You could argue that the technology etc around nuclear power stations have improved but it was a very low risk systemic process that set that off.
We do not have the land mass to handle plants of any real size and we do not have a great enough need imo to risk it.
There's other solutions for power out there that are not do or die solutions.
I'm a pragmatist. We are what we are, who we are, and don't need to be like everyone else.
Our unique country, place in the world/ globe demands we think outside the box to thrive, and why does it have to be about 💰
Every election I find it hard to see us making out its some big thing and it's either or, one party has to be diametrically opposed to each other and support different factions like they've decided they're polar opposites.
Here's a thought 😆 why don't Labour and National form a coalition? Seriously, we're not that different if we are really all working for the good of NZ.
Jeez, won't someone think of the children? 😆 😄 🤣 😂 😔 😟
NZ is fortunate to have cheap, easy renewable hydroelectric power.

The fact we have that take the need for nuclear out of the equation for the foreseeable future.

Fair pay agreements
Extra sick leave
Extra public holiday
Extra mental health leave
Centralising health
Centralising polytechs
Centralising water
Massive amount of extra taxes
Govt provide school lunchs
Govt provides free dental
Govt provides first year university free
Prioritise public transport
Anti prison
Soft on crime
Strong on racial, rainbow policies, etc
Strongly anti business
Investigating wealth taxes, CGT against rich
Big minimum wage increases
Big increase in benefits
Wouldn’t evict terrible state house tenants
Pro state housing

Etc, etc, etc

Most left government for a very long time. Nothing wrong with that either but they were very left.
I'll agree most left in a long time, however that's not saying much compared to having National in power. But still right - their entire policy base is neoliberal lite.

A lot of the stuff you list - fair pay, extra sick leave etc is simply rebalancing what the last round of right and hard neoliberal policies took away. And will take away again.

Since when is centralising an indication of left or right? Given the damage done under the last 40 years it's more about whether things are working. And they're not.

Massive amount of extra taxes???? Please. Any evidence here, or are you quoting the National party?

Most of the stuff is rebalancing the damage done previously mate.

Also, the government doesn't evict tenants - it's not their job.

I'll agree most left in a long time, however that's not saying much compared to having National in power. But still right - their entire policy base is neoliberal lite.

A lot of the stuff you list - fair pay, extra sick leave etc is simply rebalancing what the last round of right and hard neoliberal policies took away. And will take away again.

Since when is centralising an indication of left or right? Given the damage done under the last 40 years it's more about whether things are working. And they're not.

Massive amount of extra taxes???? Please. Any evidence here, or are you quoting the National party?

Most of the stuff is rebalancing the damage done previously mate.

Also, the government doesn't evict tenants - it's not their job.
I don’t have a problem with a lot of the stuff if it’s done right and changes are bought in slowly. It felt like too much, too fast during a pandemic and the associated economic issues (eg redoing the whole health system in a pandemic???)

Centralisation is very much left. National sells things off to private enterprise 🤣

Treasury. It’s significant.

Labour believe in a bigger state to invest in the country. We’ve gone from about 28% of GDP in tax to 33? (Don’t quote me juju… it’s just from memory.)

Which is fair enough if they got results. We need investment in infrastructure and our social services but I think the voters haven’t felt they have got value for money.

Personally I voted for Labour in the early 2000’s under Clarke and am economically right and socially left. Personally this version of Labour tried to much to fast without prioritising the economy to support investment in society.

Last edited:
Have fun NZ.
Screenshot_20231016-190832_Firefox Focus.jpg
Screenshot_20231016-191228_Firefox Focus.jpg

They should have used used the shallow water fields to fund exploration and technical know-how to purse the GSB and further east.
The money was always there and OMV/Shell had committed to a programme of deep drilling in the GSB and further out in Taranaki. I recall that after the 2017 election there were many meetings regarding the stability of the MMP Govt based on their manifestos. While Jacinda's grandstanding was the final nail in the coffin, the decision had already been made to pull the plug on any further work down there until some direction could be seen.
You are right though in that deep water drilling is very expensive . Development costs down there would be extreme as it's regarded as one of the more hostile (weather wise) areas in the world. Would have to put something out there like the Prelude. Scary thought.

The good thing about the GSB is that it's not going away and will only improve as time goes by.

Election 2023: Cameron Bagrie warns National could get 'reality check' when they open Govt books, tax cuts no certainty to happen
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/author-pages/william-hewett.html

A leading economist is warning National's promised tax cuts are no certainty to happen given the state of New Zealand's economy.
National cruised to a comfortable election victory on Saturday night, with the makeup of the Government still up in the air with just over 500,000 special votes still to be counted.
A major part of National's campaign was promising tax cuts to New Zealanders but getting it across the line following negotiations with ACT and potentially New Zealand First is no certainty.
On top of that, independent economist Cameron Bagrie told AM on Tuesday the state of New Zealand's books might also make them hard to deliver.

He told AM co-host Ryan Bridge the National Party will get a shock when they open the Government's books for the first time.
When asked if he thinks National will deliver on their tax-cut promise, Bagrie said "anything is possible".
"It's certainly a big part of the policy platform and there will be pretty high expectations to deliver on that and I guess the real issue was going to be what's the real state of the economy, the state of the books," he said.
"The new government is going to get various updates by what we call briefings to incoming ministers once we get the final government formed. I suspect that could be a bit of a reality check in regard to possible versus what could be probable. So everything's going to be on the table and there's obviously electioneering at play here."
Given the state of New Zealand's economy, Bagrie said he wouldn't be rolling out tax cuts as part of his policy prescription.
"I guess if I step back and look at it through an economic lens as an economist, thinking about inflation, thinking about pressure on the fiscal books, tax cuts while promised, wouldn't be part of my policy prescription," he said.
Bridge said National would argue they're self-funded through their foreign buyer's tax so wouldn't impact inflation, but Bagrie was sceptical about that.
"Self-funding once again, possible in regards to getting that big number out of the foreign buyers tax. But being possible does not make it highly probable."

Another area of the economy National will look at is inflation.
Stats New Zealand will release the latest figures on inflation for the September quarter later on Tuesday. Inflation is currently sitting at 6 percent but has been dropping over the course of the year, but it's well above the Reserve Bank's (RBNZ) target range of between 1 and 3 percent.
Bagrie predicts it's likely to remain around the six percent mark.
"A lot of that we can put down to fuel prices, end of the subsidy, rise in international oil prices, rates look like they're going to be up somewhere between 8-10 percent, which is partly a by-product of local authorities needing more money... so inflation doesn't matter whether you look globally or locally, it's proven to be a lot more persistent, sticky," he said.
"That era of throwing money around like confetti is coming to an end, that era of incredibly low interest rates has come to an end.
"So the growth we're going to need to see going forward has got to be of real substance. The danger is we tend to go for quick fixes in regard to growth which is just let a lot more migrants in, which is precisely what we are doing."

For those non nz based folks like myself...
How much is Nz s current account deficit per month?
Where does Nz Govco borrow money to fund the govco deficit?
How much is the current Nz govco deficit?
How much deficit $ are all Nz councils owing?

Election 2023: Cameron Bagrie warns National could get 'reality check' when they open Govt books, tax cuts no certainty to happen​

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/author-pages/william-hewett.html

A leading economist is warning National's promised tax cuts are no certainty to happen given the state of New Zealand's economy.
National cruised to a comfortable election victory on Saturday night, with the makeup of the Government still up in the air with just over 500,000 special votes still to be counted.
A major part of National's campaign was promising tax cuts to New Zealanders but getting it across the line following negotiations with ACT and potentially New Zealand First is no certainty.
On top of that, independent economist Cameron Bagrie told AM on Tuesday the state of New Zealand's books might also make them hard to deliver.

He told AM co-host Ryan Bridge the National Party will get a shock when they open the Government's books for the first time.
When asked if he thinks National will deliver on their tax-cut promise, Bagrie said "anything is possible".
"It's certainly a big part of the policy platform and there will be pretty high expectations to deliver on that and I guess the real issue was going to be what's the real state of the economy, the state of the books," he said.
"The new government is going to get various updates by what we call briefings to incoming ministers once we get the final government formed. I suspect that could be a bit of a reality check in regard to possible versus what could be probable. So everything's going to be on the table and there's obviously electioneering at play here."
Given the state of New Zealand's economy, Bagrie said he wouldn't be rolling out tax cuts as part of his policy prescription.
"I guess if I step back and look at it through an economic lens as an economist, thinking about inflation, thinking about pressure on the fiscal books, tax cuts while promised, wouldn't be part of my policy prescription," he said.
Bridge said National would argue they're self-funded through their foreign buyer's tax so wouldn't impact inflation, but Bagrie was sceptical about that.
"Self-funding once again, possible in regards to getting that big number out of the foreign buyers tax. But being possible does not make it highly probable."

Another area of the economy National will look at is inflation.
Stats New Zealand will release the latest figures on inflation for the September quarter later on Tuesday. Inflation is currently sitting at 6 percent but has been dropping over the course of the year, but it's well above the Reserve Bank's (RBNZ) target range of between 1 and 3 percent.
Bagrie predicts it's likely to remain around the six percent mark.
"A lot of that we can put down to fuel prices, end of the subsidy, rise in international oil prices, rates look like they're going to be up somewhere between 8-10 percent, which is partly a by-product of local authorities needing more money... so inflation doesn't matter whether you look globally or locally, it's proven to be a lot more persistent, sticky," he said.
"That era of throwing money around like confetti is coming to an end, that era of incredibly low interest rates has come to an end.
"So the growth we're going to need to see going forward has got to be of real substance. The danger is we tend to go for quick fixes in regard to growth which is just let a lot more migrants in, which is precisely what we are doing."
Treasury has put on the public record that the economy needs to slow, there will be no growth, unemployment will rise significantly next year, etc. Everyone clued up knows this.

But:

National will come out saying shock horror it’s much worse than we thought.

Labour will come out and say it was perfect when we left and National has crashed the economy.

Politics… it’s all already a planned slowdown by Treasury and they all already know it…

Last edited:
Back