1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Position/s
  1. Five-Eighth
  2. Halfback
Warrior #
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 17, 1997
Warriors Debut Details
March 17 1997, Round 3 vs Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at Shark Park, Cronulla, NSW, Australia
Warriors Years Active
  1. 1997
Signed From
Mt Albert Lions
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Buckingham_(rugby_league)

mt.wellington

Contributor

Steve Buckingham is a New Zealand rugby league coach and former player. His position of preference was at Halfback. He is currently the head coach of the Mount Albert Lions.

Buckingham started his career playing for the Glenora Bears. Here he won his first two Fox Memorial titles. A longtime Warriors scholarship player, who playing in the 1995 Lion Red Cup Grand Final loss, he played two Super League first grade games under coach John Monie in early 1997. However Monie was fired halfway through the season and Buckingham did not play for the Warriors again.

In the late 1990s Buckingham left Glenora after a dispute over match payments. He then joined the Mt Albert Lions, a club he was to enjoy great success with. In the seven years of the national Bartercard Cup competition Buckingham played in four Cup-winning sides, winning with Mt Albert three times and once with the Auckland Lions. He also captained the 2004 winning side.

During this time he played for several National Residents selections, including the 2003 New Zealand 'A' tour of Great Britain and captaining New Zealand 'A' in 2004.

With the launch of the Auckland Lions in the NSWRL Premier League competition in 2007 Buckingham once again became involved in a Trans-Tasman competition.

In 2008 he returned to playing in the local Auckland competition and was a part of Mt Albert's Fox Memorial winning side. He also received the club's best half award. Buckingham continued to play for Mt Albert in 2009 and came out of retirement as player-coach in 2011.

While still playing in 2009 Buckingham served as an assistant coach under Brett Gemmell. In 2010 Buckingham became the Lions head coach when Gemmell was appointed the coach of the Auckland Vulcans. In 2013, 2014 and 2015 he coached the Akarana Falcons in the National Competition.

Me Ole mate. Bucks. I was at Glenora when he was at Stags. He came over and I stopped for a while. We only played on the school team for a couple of games. He had bucked teeth back then you know. It solidified his nickname. Braces straightened them out. He was tiny too. Filled out in 6th form. We had a wrap around that surprised the opposition. I played prop but I was quick for my size. He had a great footy brain and instinct for gaps and we used this one play over and over again. Lol. It was a two player game, the opposition didn't know who was making the play, him or me. Didn't last long. My knees got fucked. We used to talk Winfield Cup in class all the time and play slider footy on the table.

Bucks was a Gazza Freeman fan big time. But sometimes gushed over Langer and Lewis. I loved Jarrod McCracken. I was buzzed when I got McCracken's Maths textbook with his signature. I didn't even know he went to Kelston Boys. And only me and Bucks knew league players. So I figured if the book didn't come back to school nobody would miss it lol.

But he was fun to play with. Down to earth. It hurt me when he got scouted by the Warriors. I thought I was going somewhere. I was devastated. I never let on because well, Bucks was a likeable guy and worked hard. He deserved it. As did Awen and Matt.